cure-real

Thread: Asaph - Prophetic Worship in the Old Testament

Blog Entries

Asaph - Prophetic Worship in the Old Testament

1 and 2 Chronicles are peculiar books: they cover much of the same material as the books of the Kings but describe some events in much less detail or leave them out altogether. At the same time, they go into great detail when it comes to names and genealogies. One name that stands out among the crowd is Asaph. If you've heard his name before, it is most likely because we have twelve Psalms that bear his name as the author. Asaph is an intriguing man with an even more intriguing ministry. This is what 1 Chronicles 16 has to say about him:

4 David appointed some of the Levites to be ministers before the ark of the Lord, to celebrate the Lord God of Israel, and to give thanks and praise to Him. 5 Asaph was the chief and Zechariah was second to him. Jeiel, Shemiramoth, Jehiel, Mattithiah, Eliab, Benaiah, Obed-edom, and Jeiel played the harps and lyres, while Asaph [sounded] the cymbals

This is fairly straight-forward so far: Asaph was the head music minister among the Levites before the ark of God. That is a pretty cool job, but nothing earth-shattering. 1 Chronicles 25 continues:

1 David and the officers of the army also set apart some of the sons of Asaph, Heman, and Jeduthun, who were to prophesy accompanied by lyres, harps, and cymbals. 2 From Asaph's sons: Zaccur, Joseph, Nethaniah, and Asarelah, sons of Asaph, under Asaph's authority, who prophesied under the authority of the king.

Now this is where this man begins to catch my attention: Asaph prophesied to the accompaniment of lyres, harps, and cymbals. While this can become controversial, I cannot escape the conclusion that Asaph was involved in what we would describe today as 'prophetic worship'. And just in case you thought Asaph's prophesying was limited to speaking forth God's truth, 2 Chronicles 29 confirms for us that Asaph was not just a worshiper but also a seer or prophet:

30 Then King Hezekiah and the officials told the Levites to sing praise to the LORD in the words of David and of Asaph the seer.

Asaph was a man of God, a Levite, who operated in a unique ministry in the Old Testament, combining prophecy and music to create an inspiring new ministry before the Lord. From his pen flowed twelve Psalms - more than anybody else but David. He is the one that wrote my favorite verses in Psalm 73: "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart, my portion forever." Like David's songs, his Psalms show both a great understanding of who God is and a humanity familiar to all of us. Hundreds and thousands of years later, people were and are still singing the inspired songs of this prophetic worshiper.

As a worship leader, I am thrilled to find that there was such a thing as prophetic worship in the days of the kings of Israel and Judah. Long before the Holy Spirit was poured out on the Day of Pentecost, God anointed people with musical ability and spiritual anointing to sing, play, and move in the prophetic to that music! Asaph is certainly one of my new favorite people in the Bible and an immense inspiration as to what God can do through a musician and a worshiper who has a sensitive spirit. God may just make him a prophetic worshiper before the ark of God.

This comes from my blog - what do you think about prophetic worship in the Old Testament in the context of Asaph?
    Who have I in heaven but You oh God? Besides You, I desire nothing here on earth. My heart and my flesh may fail me, but God will be the strength of my heart and my portion forever...as for me, the nearness of God is my good - Psalm 73:25-26, 28a

Check out my new blog at pilgrimtozion.blogspot.com

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Re: Asaph - Prophetic Worship in the Old Testament

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrimtozion View Post
    This comes from my blog - what do you think about prophetic worship in the Old Testament in the context of Asaph?
    Hooah post!! Controversial? No way... prophetic worship continues today.
    Slug1--out

~Does Predestination mean: Once of the devil, Always of the devil?~

~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

Blog Entries

Pilgrim2Z
    I think we as Christians have a LOT to learn about Worship and Praise, compared to OT Temple worship..... Hey I mean, the men dance in the Temple/Synagogue ... and on their way to the Synagogue....

Awesome!!

I am so so so look FW to P&W in the New Jerusalem or Heaven or wherever I am going to be...
    The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

Blog Entries

That is it?!? Two responses? Surely somebody on this forum is not excited about prophetic worship and struggles with the Scriptures presented in the OP? Surely somebody has more to say about the fact that these Scriptures provide evidence for prophetic worship straight from the Scriptures? I know it excites me - it is one thing to do something in church, it is another thing entirely when that thing finds Scriptural support.

So if you can have countless threads on (N)OSAS, surely you can muster one animated discussion on prophetic worship...?
    Who have I in heaven but You oh God? Besides You, I desire nothing here on earth. My heart and my flesh may fail me, but God will be the strength of my heart and my portion forever...as for me, the nearness of God is my good - Psalm 73:25-26, 28a

Blog Entries

P2Z

Amazing how God made us all so different

I got so very excited about an article I wrote, the growth for me personally was a WOW experience.... others looked at it, or did not even look at it.....

Don't allow the lack of response steal your joy

God ministers to us each one differently, and gives us each a WOW experience,,, and others are not on that level.

For you who are involved in Leading Worship.... this is WOW

For others.... maybe not.

Do not judge what you experience against the lack of response to what you found.

A friend 'warned' me against such feelings the other day... she found something about the Name Joseph.... the Hebrew root-word and..... to her it was WOW.... to others it was...what are you talking about

This what you wrote comes from a fellowship relationship with God....
    Thanks for sharing it... it is precious

And please be encouraged to keep sharing.

I can imagine seeing you in the New Jerusalem leading worship....I'll be on the look-out for you with your lovely hair that says : "See me, I am alive"

I hope you know, this is making part of my "Teaching manual"
    The LORD is my Miracle

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    -Holley Gerth

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ta-An View Post
    P2Z

Amazing how God made us all so different

I got so very excited about an article I wrote, the growth for me personally was a WOW experience.... others looked at it, or did not even look at it.....

Don't allow the lack of response steal your joy

God ministers to us each one differently, and gives us each a WOW experience,,, and others are not on that level.

For you who are involved in Leading Worship.... this is WOW

For others.... maybe not.

Do not judge what you experience against the lack of response to what you found.

A friend 'warned' me against such feelings the other day... she found something about the Name Joseph.... the Hebrew root-word and..... to her it was WOW.... to others it was...what are you talking about

This what you wrote comes from a fellowship relationship with God....
    Thanks for sharing it... it is precious

And please be encouraged to keep sharing.

I can imagine seeing you in the New Jerusalem leading worship....I'll be on the look-out for you with your lovely hair that says : "See me, I am alive"

I hope you know, this is making part of my "Teaching manual"
    Thanks for the encouragement - it means a lot to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrimtozion View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement - it means a lot to me.
    Just stay tuned in and obedient to God's call on your life my friend.... the Blessings are to live for
    The LORD is my Miracle

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    -Holley Gerth

Thread Information