cure-real

Thread: Trusting in the Lord

Trusting in the Lord

Today I am seeking to know and understand what it is to trust the Lord and to put one's trust in Him.

I started my search by consulting Oxford's online dictionary hoping that a better understanding of the word's meaning would improve my ability to grasp the concepts behind it. I found several descriptions of the word to be helpful:

1) firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something

2) to commit (someone or something) to the safekeeping of

3) to place reliance on

With these three descriptions in mind I began to ask myself questions:

Based on description #1: Is God and what He says reliable and truthful and does He possess the strength to support His claims?

Based on description #2: Would God prove faithful in His usage of that which I place in His safekeeping?

Based on description #3: Is He dependable enough for me to place all my reliance on Him?

Firstly I must decide in my mind whether or not I believe in God’s existence at all.

Hebrews 11:6

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

You see, if there is no God, there is no vessel in which my trust can be placed. For something to be given or bestowed there must be a recipient. So does God exist and how do I know this to be true?

Romans 1:20

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

Looking up at the walls around me I find clear evidence that at one time someone built the dwelling that I find myself in; in fact, every building must have a builder; to think otherwise would be to declare myself a profound fool. Outside of the walls around me I’d find a vast world to explore bearing evidence in itself that at one time something had to have happened that caused it to come into being. Having studied enough of the sciences to understand that “nothing” can never beget “something” and enough mathematics to know that “zero” plus “zero” can never equate into anything other than such, if find it impossible to fathom that all of Creation came about sans Creator. My unbelief vanishes every time I look out the window and even that I have to ability to direct my gaze and ponder over the evidence around me is proof enough of the existence of God.

Having firmly resolved to myself that “He Who Is” is Himself, I now have the vessel by which I have the option of placing trust.

Now, if God is the maker of all that exists, He certainly possesses the power to support anything He says. Furthermore, someone who has such great power would have no reason at all to be untruthful in anything He says, the whole point of deception being to gain some sort of personal advantage. By nature, God being God gives Him every advantage!

Titus 1:2

a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time,

So I’ve learned now that everything spoken by God can be trusted based on His tremendous power. The fact that I’m currently alive leads me to believe that God has no malicious intent towards me because if He did, what moment would be waiting for to give Himself an advantage in my destruction? He already has it and always has! He could have wiped me off the planet and cast me in Hell the first moment I displeased Him and would be perfectly justified in doing so since He made me! What creature can be justified by grieving its Creator?

Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Still, with all my shortcomings and failures, somehow God has plans to “prosper” me and “not to harm” me. What other motive could He have for this besides love?

John 3:16

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

So I see now that God, who doesn’t lie, has said that He loves me and that He’s got good plans for me! Based on this catharsis, I must know that everything He tells me to do (and not to do) must somehow work for my benefit.

Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

God, Who says He loves us, is working out the characteristics that typify what love is!

1 Corinthians 13:4-7

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

So what should I trust God with? Why not everything!? I’ve nothing to loose in so doing because we’ve already learned that He loves us! Why would anyone harm or mislead someone they truly love? Why wouldn’t all put all my trust in God?

Psalm 9:10

Those who know your name will trust in you,

for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.

Psalm 32:10

Many are the woes of the wicked,

but the LORD’s unfailing love

surrounds the man who trusts in him.

Isaiah 12:2

Surely God is my salvation;

I will trust and not be afraid.

The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song;

he has become my salvation.”

Isaiah 25:9

In that day they will say,

“Surely this is our God;

we trusted in him, and he saved us.

This is the LORD, we trusted in him;

let us rejoice and be glad in his salvation.”

Romans 3:22-24

This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

1 John 1:9

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Romans 10:9-10

That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Please consider this with me.

In Christ,

Andrew
    Psalm 19:14
    May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Re: Trusting in the Lord

To one who is unfamiliar with God's Word, and has not previously exercised trust and found God to be faithful, this is all nothing but a bunch of words (however good and accurate they may be).
    In other words, most people want physical, active proof, and mere words don't fulfill that desire.
    I wasn't sure in the beginning that I could trust God absolutely with my life and all in it. I believed in Christ, accepted His free gift of salvation, but it took finding myself in impossible situations that could only be remedied by His obvious provision, and seeing firsthand His unfailing love and provision for my current needs, before I could muster the faith necessary to place my life in this world in His hands.
    I had plenty of faith that He had/would save me from Hell. But when it came to actually trusting Him for my income and other provision, it took a lifetime of testing.
    I finally came to the point where I could truly seek FIRST(or put first) the Kingdom of God (instead of my kingdom) and His righteousness, and found that He is absolutely trustworthy and will indeed fulfill His promise to provide our every need (and abundantly so).
    I think the average Christian is in that same position I was in, ie faith to save me from hell, but not enough to trust Him with the details of life here.
    Most have reasons why they have not yet stepped out in faith. Many are unsure that God even pays attention to our daily lives, let alone cares enough to help us. They view Him as being aloof up there in His throne room so far away, just letting life play out its natural course down here.
    Many will say they have too many responsibilities to give stop working and run after a vague promise found in His Word. They have kids to raise, bills to pay, etc, etc. And many of these believe if they DID do such an irresponsible thing, that God would probably send them to some far corner of the world where the natives eat their enemies.
    The truth is, God will take you right where you are, if you are so 'irresponsible' as to try it, and give you some small task, rather than putting you instantly into some big ministry or South American cannibal tribe. If you are faithful with the little thing, then He will give you something greater. And, the really cool thing is, He LOVES it when you decide to trust Him and actually do this little task He gave you, and His response is to bless your socks off an encourage you to keep going.
    One step at a time, one little 'project' at a time, trust and obey, there is no other way. God provided us with just such an example in the story of Abraham.

Romans 10:9-10

That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

When we say trust in the Lord, do we understand what it means by He is not only our Saviour, but both Saviour and Lord

I found some names of Jehovah.

Jehovah
    Jehovah Ezer: The LORD our Helper:
    Jehovah Jireh: The LORD Will Provide:
    Jehovah Rapha: (Jehovah Rophe) The LORD our Healer
    Jehovah Roi: The LORD is My Shepherd
    Jehovah Sabaoth: LORD of hosts (of armies)
    Jehovah Mekeddeshem (Mekadesh): LORD Who Sanctifies (Jehovah M'Kaddesh)
    Jehovah Nissi: The LORD our Banner
    Jehovah Shalom: The LORD our Peace

Nice thread and thoughts shared.
    What came immediately to my mind after reading this thread is this: The just shall live by faith.

Feeding in His written word everywhere Father uses that title of "the just" is my new diet now
    Thank you: andrew_no_one, Nice thread, what a blessing. God bless you !

Father bless, and have mercy on us.

Thread Information