cure-real
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have the holy spirit...

Re: I have the holy spirit...

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post
    And many respectable Christians believe tongues aren't event valid today.

In regard to tongues being a sign that you have the Holy Spirit . . . I went to a Charismatic Bible College. I was the only student in the college that didn't speak in tongues. I was walking with Jesus though. But I didn't have the "sign" that I had the Holy Spirit. Others who had "the sign" were sleeping around and one unmarried couple got pregnant. If that's "the sign" I figured that I didn't need it based on what I saw going on.
    I believe that speaking in tongues is a real event and that it is a sign of being filled with the Holy Spirit. However, with that said, I also believe that some people fake speaking in tongues for various reasons and I believe there are other signs of being filled with the Holy Spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior4God View Post
    I believe that speaking in tongues is a real event and that it is a sign of being filled with the Holy Spirit. However, with that said, I also believe that some people fake speaking in tongues for various reasons and I believe there are other signs of being filled with the Holy Spirit.
    I also note that everywhere in the NT when one spoke in tongues, it was an intelligible language, and if no one understood and there was not an interpreter there, Paul said don't do it.

I believe that the presence of the Holy Spirit is seen through the fruit of the Spirit; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
    Psalm 19:14
    May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

I agree with you andrew_no_one.

Our fruit is definite evidence that we have the Holy Spirit. Changing our ways from greed, pride, impatience, deceit, anger and rage to love joy peace patience kindness goodness faithfulness gentleness and self control.
    Why are you searching for love? Why are you still looking as if I'm not enough?

Speaking in tongues is the sign that one has received the Holy Spirit.

How come we’re giving so much attention to tongues?

Has anyone considered that the original gift of tongues is a little different than what people attempt to do today?

Remember at Pentecost, the scriptures say:

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
    5 Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven.
    6 And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language.
    7 And they were amazed and astonished, saying, "Are not all these who are speaking Galileans?
    8 And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language?

So, speaking in tongues appears to be part of the gift? It appears that "hearing in tongues" is in there as well.

And since not everyone gets the gift manifested until they need it, speaking cannot be the first sign of the Baptism of Holy Spirit. The gifts that Holy Spirit gives you may not include tongues because you may not need that gift in order to serve God.

1 Corinthians 14:6-19

6 Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the flute or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8 Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11 If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and he is a foreigner to me. 12 So it is with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.
    13 For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind. 16 If you are praising God with your spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying? 17 You may be giving thanks well enough, but the other man is not edified.
    18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_no_one View Post
    Hey buddy! Maybe this verse will be of some help:
    Galatians 5:22-23
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

As we live by the Spirit, we start to manifest characteristics of Christ Himelf, this would be the bearing of Spiritual fruit.
    This is so true---evidence that we are of Christ. However, there is AN evidence that we have been baptized in the Spirit, and that is tongues. There are many other gifts that take time and opportunity to reveal themselves, but tongues is instant, and more easily recognized.

We can all pray and sing in the Spirit, as Paul has said, which is in tongues.

1 Corinthians 14:14-15 (NLV)
    If I pray in special sounds, my spirit is doing the praying. My mind does not understand. 15 What should I do? I will pray with my spirit and I will pray with my mind also. I will sing with my spirit and I will sing with my mind also.

Desperaux said:
    there is AN evidence that we have been baptized in the Spirit, and that is tongues. There are many other gifts that take time and opportunity to reveal themselves, but tongues is instant, and more easily recognized.
    How is it, then, that there are people who interpret tongues but don't have the gift of tongues? There are examples of people with any one of the gifts except tongues running around. Is it your position that though they have the gifts of the Spirit, because they do not have tongues they are not "baptized in the Spirit"?

If they exercise the gifts yet are not baptized in the Spirit, then what is the point of becoming baptized in the Spirit? Just that one would speak in tongues?

This doctrine of men you propound is illogical, friend.
    Love first, ... answer questions ... later ...

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelog View Post
    Desperaux said:

How is it, then, that there are people who interpret tongues but don't have the gift of tongues? There are examples of people with any one of the gifts except tongues running around. Is it your position that though they have the gifts of the Spirit, because they do not have tongues they are not "baptized in the Spirit"?

If they exercise the gifts yet are not baptized in the Spirit, then what is the point of becoming baptized in the Spirit? Just that one would speak in tongues?

This doctrine of men you propound is illogical, friend.
    Everyone can have the gift of tongues as in a prayer language, which Paul talks about, and which he exercised frequently. Not everyone has the prophetic tongues gift, however.

The gift of interpretation is like the other gifts---it takes time and opportunity for them to reveal themselves. Speaking---or praying---in tongues is immediate.

No one can exercise such gifts without the baptism of Holy Spirit.

There is nothing illogical about it when you rightly divide the Scriptures.

OP.. I've received the Holy Spirit as well, but also have not spoken in tongues. I fear not. I am without a doubt walking with the Lord, and he has been kind enough to show me his acceptance of such.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_no_one View Post
    How come we’re giving so much attention to tongues?
    How does one know that they have the Holy Spirit ?

Quote Originally Posted by Desperaux View Post
    No one can exercise such gifts without the baptism of Holy Spirit.

There is nothing illogical about it when you rightly divide the Scriptures.
    Do you believe that baptism in the Holy Spirit is synonymous with receiving the Holy Spirit ?

Quote Originally Posted by jes View Post
    Do you believe that baptism in the Holy Spirit is synonymous with receiving the Holy Spirit ?
    Seeing as that is how the scriptures refer to it, yes.

Thread Information