cure-real
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Neanias in mind.... SIN.... Should a christian be a sinner?

Blog Entries

Keeping Neanias in mind.... SIN.... Should a christian be a sinner?

Weigh in!

My personal view is that NO a christian should not live in sin....

But just what constitutes sin?

This thread IS about sin....

Discuss away!

Blog Entries

Re: Keeping Neanias in mind.... SIN.... Should a christian be a sinner?

Its not sanctification... (I just had to do that. I get a mean streak sometimes........)
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Well since this thread bears my name, I guess I should weigh in on this

Should a christian be a sinner? No. We were bought with a price, and we must walk in the ways of the Lord. But it says, 'if a brother sin, we have an advocate with the Father'. It takes alot of training to arrive to maturity in Christ, I think. Look at the disciples, 3 years with Christ, lots of teaching, and how many times throughout this did they make simple mistakes?

As Paul says, 'not as though I had already attained, but I press on to the mark of the high calling that is in Christ Jesus.'

I believe we can overcome ALL sin in this life and be like Christ, yes. Otherwise I would deny that Christ was fully man, and yet overcame sin. So it was with him, so it can be with us.

But becoming a Christian, a disciple, does not automatically rid you of all your human ways. Just like planting a seed does not automatically make a tree that bears fruit.
    That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Earnestly contending for the faith which was once for all delivered unto the saints

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post
    Its not sanctification... (I just had to do that. I get a mean streak sometimes........)
    Play nice .... .......................

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neanias View Post
    Well since this thread bears my name, I guess I should weigh in on this

Should a christian be a sinner? No. We were bought with a price, and we must walk in the ways of the Lord. But it says, 'if a brother sin, we have an advocate with the Father'. It takes alot of training to arrive to maturity in Christ, I think. Look at the disciples, 3 years with Christ, lots of teaching, and how many times throughout this did they make simple mistakes?

As Paul says, 'not as though I had already attained, but I press on to the mark of the high calling that is in Christ Jesus.'

I believe we can overcome ALL sin in this life and be like Christ, yes. Otherwise I would deny that Christ was fully man, and yet overcame sin. So it was with him, so it can be with us.

But becoming a Christian, a disciple, does not automatically rid you of all your human ways. Just like planting a seed does not automatically make a tree that bears fruit.
    I like this....

After supper I will post something I hope will be edifying.... I just had to tell you I do like this post....

A Christian should NEVER, EVER, excuse any sin in their life....EVER! If we do excuse sin in our lives....we ARE deliberately sinning and I believe we are skating on very thin ice. Even if we say I'm a sinner naturally and I am going to sin. We should despise every nook and cranny of sin in our lives. Not sinless perfection, but simply seeing sin and hating it being there...period. If we do sin I believe God is not saying "that's okay son, you're not perfect yet"...I believe the Holy Spirit is prompting my spirit and telling me to STOP IT!!

I think in some senses God does expect us to be perfect. What I mean by that is....I think HE wants us to desire vehemently to be like Christ and to hate when we sin and never shrug it off or downplay it to the point where we think God is even in the slightest bit okay with any sin in our lives.

Also, I think sin is more 'sneaky' than we often think it is.

The closer we get to the root of sin, the more it is hidden. Pride, for example, does not have to be externally shown.
    That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Earnestly contending for the faith which was once for all delivered unto the saints

Quote Originally Posted by ClayInHisHands View Post
    A Christian should NEVER, EVER, excuse any sin in their life....EVER! If we do excuse sin in our lives....we ARE deliberately sinning and I believe we are skating on very thin ice. Even if we say I'm a sinner naturally and I am going to sin. We should despise every nook and cranny of sin in our lives. Not sinless perfection, but simply seeing sin and hating it being there...period. If we do sin I believe God is not saying "that's okay son, you're not perfect yet"...I believe the Holy Spirit is prompting my spirit and telling me to STOP IT!!

I think in some senses God does expect us to be perfect. What I mean by that is....I think HE wants us to desire vehemently to be like Christ and to hate when we sin and never shrug it off or downplay it to the point where we think God is even in the slightest bit okay with any sin in our lives.
    I think that's an important and valuable point... God does give us freedom from sin, otherwise how did Christ, who was fully man, not sin?

By the nature we can overcome. And in the areas we haven't overcome yet, we should definitely not excuse it. Good post!

I think you need to list them? What are these sins you're talking about.

Here's what they were when I was growing up?
    Drinking alcohol
    Smoking anything
    long hair-hair on your collar sin in your heart
    Women wearing pants
    not going to church
    cussin'
    Chewing tobacco
    anything that had to do with sex
    going to movies
    doing anything fun on Sunday
    Rock and Roll music

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nimblewillsgrace View Post

Drinking alcohol
    Smoking anything
    Women wearing pants
    not going to church
    cussin'
    Chewing tobacco
    going to movies
    Rock and Roll music

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nimblewillsgrace View Post

Drinking alcohol
    Smoking anything
    Women wearing pants
    not going to church
    cussin'
    Chewing tobacco
    going to movies
    Rock and Roll music
    You forgot thug looking teens with pants around the knees............
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post
    You forgot thug looking teens with pants around the knees............

It's too bad that the myth of "nobody is perfect" is still being spread. Don't you understand Jesus' parables about plants bringing forth after their own kind? I am born of the seed of God, and won't bring forth evil fruit. If I were to sin, I would manifest that I'm not a lover of God. Jesus said, "If you love me, keep my commandments" (Jo 14:15) He said, "He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings." (Jo 14:24) I've been born again. Why would I be doing the "same old thing" with a new heart? I,ve been crucified with Christ, with the affections and lusts. (Gal 5:24) And as far as Paul's "have not attained", he was referring to his new body, as is made clear in the last verse of Philippians 3. Christians are ex-sinners! Thanks be to God.

Quote Originally Posted by PJW View Post
    It's too bad that the myth of "nobody is perfect" is still being spread. Don't you understand Jesus' parables about plants bringing forth after their own kind? I am born of the seed of God, and won't bring forth evil fruit. If I were to sin, I would manifest that I'm not a lover of God. Jesus said, "If you love me, keep my commandments" (Jo 14:15) He said, "He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings." (Jo 14:24) I've been born again. Why would I be doing the "same old thing" with a new heart? I,ve been crucified with Christ, with the affections and lusts. (Gal 5:24) And as far as Paul's "have not attained", he was referring to his new body, as is made clear in the last verse of Philippians 3. Christians are ex-sinners! Thanks be to God.
    I agree with you that it is very sad that people spread and teach this belief that we cannot be conformed to Christ, and I think we must press on to enter his rest.

I also wish to say though, that there is such a thing as an immature Christian, and such a thing as a brother sinning. It says 'If a brother sin, we have an advocate with the Father'. Modern Christianity misses the 'if', that man can indeed walk as Christ, since it doesn't say 'when'. But the text also says that it is possible for a brother to sin, and there a possibility of forgiveness.

We are being trained up in the way of the Lord. Jesus says 'A learner cannot surpass his teacher (referring to himself), but once he is fully trained he can be like him.'

The Lord bless you, PJW

Quote Originally Posted by MaryFreeman View Post
    Weigh in!

My personal view is that NO a christian should not live in sin....

But just what constitutes sin?

This thread IS about sin....

Discuss away!
    Should a christian be a sinner? No

1Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
    1Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
    1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
    1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
    1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
    1Jn 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Do we? Yes

1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
    1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

What is sin?

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Thread Information