cure-real

Thread: What Does It Mean to Grow in Christ?

What Does It Mean to Grow in Christ?

Below are most of the passages that use the words 'grow' and 'grew' in the NASB New Testament. Do these passages exhaust the possibilities for what it means to grow in Christ? If not, how should we define spiritual growth? How do we define spiritual decline?

Matthew 24:12
    Because lawlessness is increased, most people’s love will grow cold.

Mark 4:8
    Other seeds fell into the good soil, and as they grew up and increased, they yielded a crop and produced thirty, sixty, and a hundredfold.”

Luke 8:8
    Other seed fell into the good soil, and grew up, and produced a crop a hundred times as great.”

Luke 1:80
    And the child [John the Baptist] continued to grow and to become strong in spirit, and he lived in the deserts until the day of his public appearance to Israel.

Luke 2:40
    The Child [Jesus] continued to grow and become strong, increasing in wisdom; and the grace of God was upon Him.

Romans 4:19-21
    19 Without becoming weak in faith he [Abraham] contemplated his own body, now as good as dead since he was about a hundred years old, and the deadness of Sarah’s womb; 20 yet, with respect to the promise of God, he did not waver in unbelief but grew strong in faith, giving glory to God, 21 and being fully assured that what God had promised, He was able also to perform.

2 Cor 10:the hope that as your faith grows, we will be, within our sphere, enlarged even more by you, 16 so as to preach the gospel even to the regions beyond you, and not to boast in what has been accomplished in the sphere of another.

Ephesians 4:
    18 for through Him we both have our access in one Spirit to the Father. 19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household, 20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, 21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.

Galatians 6:9
    Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.

Colossians 2:
    holding fast to the head, from whom the entire body, being supplied and held together by the joints and ligaments, grows with a growth which is from God.

2 Thessalonians 3:13
    But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary of doing good.

Hebrews 12:3
    For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart

1 Peter 21 Therefore, putting aside all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander, 2 like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation, 3 if you have tasted the kindness of the Lord.

2 Peter 3:17-18
    17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness, 18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Revelation 2:2-4
    2 ‘I know your deeds and your toil and perseverance, and that you cannot tolerate evil men, and you put to the test those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and you found them to be false; 3 and you have perseverance and have endured for My name’s sake, and have not grown weary. 4 But I have this against you, that you have left your first love.
    Love first, ... answer questions ... later ...

Re: What Does It Mean to Grow in Christ?

In a word it is character! The character of Christ being in the world but not OF it.
    Formerly "Adullam" from other sites!

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

Walk in the Light! (
    התהלכו באור)

Quote Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
    In a word it is character! The character of Christ being in the world but not OF it.
    I agree, but when a lot of folk describe their own growth, they often say they read the word, meditated on it, resolved not to do something wrong, and then through ordinary will power didn't do it. I would agree that if they do that over and over they will strengthen their ability to obey the Lord in that area. They wil gain a bit of character. As they are tested in it, their perseverance will bring character.

Is that it?
    Love first, ... answer questions ... later ...

Blog Entries

I think growing in Christ is more like learning to abide in Him in all circumstances, and growing close in your relationship with Him. It's just something that happens over time as you learn to walk with Him. This happens AS A RESULT of meditating on His word and getting to know Him on a deeper level.

Quote Originally Posted by Equipped_4_Love View Post
    I think growing in Christ is more like learning to abide in Him in all circumstances, and growing close in your relationship with Him. It's just something that happens over time as you learn to walk with Him. This happens AS A RESULT of meditating on His word and getting to know Him on a deeper level.
    These are my feelings exactly. We cannot count on our strength alone to grow and learn, we need His.

Thread Information