cure-real
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it Selish to Want to Earn Lots and Lots of Treasure in Heaven?

Re: Is it Selish to Want to Earn Lots and Lots of Treasure in Heaven?

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelog View Post
    Hi, Bro. I am familiar with the following passages that make it very clear to me:

2 Corinthians 5:10
    For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

Webster says Recompense is: an equivalent or a return for something done, suffered, or given : compensation

Hebrews 11:6
    And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Webster says a reward is: something that is given in return for good or evil done or received or that is offered or given for some service or attainment

Matthew 6:19-21 19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; 21 for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Matthew 6:1
    “Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven.

Mark 9:41
    For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because of your name as followers of Christ, truly I say to you, he will not lose his reward.

Matthew 5:11-13 11 “Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Matthew 10:41
    He who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet’s reward; and he who receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man’s reward.

Matthew 19:21
    Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

Luke 6:35
    But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men.

Revelation 11:18
    And the nations were enraged, and Your wrath came, and the time came for the dead to be judged, and the time to reward Your bond-servants the prophets and the saints and those who fear Your name, the small and the great, and to destroy those who destroy the earth.”

[B]Hebrews 11:[/B]
    23 By faith Moses, when he was born, was hidden for three months by his parents, because they saw he was a beautiful child; and they were not afraid of the king’s edict. 24 By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, 25 choosing rather to endure ill-treatment with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin, 26 considering the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures of Egypt; for he was looking to the reward

1 Cor 3:
    each will receive his own reward according to his own labor. ... if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work. 14 If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15 If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

1 Corinthians 9:16-18
    16 For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel. 17 For if I do this voluntarily, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me. 18 What then is my reward? That, when I preach the gospel, I may offer the gospel without charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel.

Revelation 22:12
    “Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done.
    That's a whole lot of physical, but you're not looking at the spiritual.

You are recompensed with passage into heaven. Your treasure is your purity of spirit, for which you are able to dwell in his kingdom.

Hug Re: Is it Selish to Want to Earn Lots and Lots of Treasure in Heaven?

Bro said:
    I don't know what you think it means to be recompensed, but what is obvious to me is that you are filling in some of the details out of your imagination. Where does the text say that the recompense for doing good will be anything other than a pat on the back from Jesus saying, "well done good and faithful servant"? From the text, we find only one reward, to be at home with the Lord.
    Bro, Please read, in context, the parable of the Minas, which speaks of something more than a pat on the back. I could go on, but for the reasons that follow, right now I am declining.

Bro also said:
    You are incorrect. A list of random verses does not make a context. And single verses taken out of context have no meaning at all. Again, you don't seem to understand. You quote a single verse and expect one sentence to make up the context.
    Bro, you have not given the context for your assertion that i have somehow erred in my interpretation of the passages I cite. You have not shown that in context my interpretation is incorrect. Moreover, I don't trust you that if I spend the time to explain my position to you in great detail that you will do more than give me more one-liners about how you disagree and I am in error.

Somewheres you picked up this hermeneutic mantra that a single verse doesn't say anything meaningful or true, and one can't understand its meaning without doing a doctoral thesis with 357 footnotes, translating it into the original language and citing 57 secondary sources.

You are being opinionated without justifying your own position, as if I owe it to you not to give you the scriptural references that support my position without submitting my viewpoint to a peer-review editorial board first.

You are the one who disagreed with my position and claimed my citations establish nothing in support of my position. Either show me with well reasoned argument from the scriptures or quit coming off so knowing, like you are smartest username in the forum.

If I am in error, I would love to learn that to be true. I honestly mean that, Bro. Please, teach me.

But if you think I will learn anything from your dismissive one-liners, think again. If you think your hermeneutic is so superior, please, demonstrate it. Give me a chance to see it done right.

I really mean that. I would love to be edified through a deep conversation with you.

Obviously, you love the Lord. And I love to have good conversations with siblings in the Lord who share the love of the Lord.

But if you don't have time, at least refer me to your doctoral thesis on this subject. I promise that whatever you refer me to, I will carefully review it. And I will not respond to any of it with a one-liner.
    Love first, ... answer questions ... later ...

Re: Is it Selish to Want to Earn Lots and Lots of Treasure in Heaven?

Quote Originally Posted by Teekanc View Post
    That's a whole lot of physical, but you're not looking at the spiritual.

You are recompensed with passage into heaven. Your treasure is your purity of spirit, for which you are able to dwell in his kingdom.
    Hi, Tee. Thanks for the input!

I really don't understand why you say "that's a whole lot of physical." I really don't know why you should think I think the rewards are in this lifetime, or that they are somehow like the things worldly people treasure in this lifetime.

Let's go back to my original post a sec. I said i'd like to have more treasure/rewards than anyone but Jesus. What kind of treasure did Jesus receive? How is the treasure we are to receive like what He received from the Father?

Without taking the time to provide citations -- because you cite no Scripture for your position -- this is what the Bible says:

1. All power and authority was given to Him.
    2. In the end He will give all power and authority back to the Father, so all will be in all.
    3. We are rewarded for the use of our 'minas' by being put in charge of 'cities'
    4. But we will throw our crowns at his feet.
    5. The ability to have something to throw at His feet has great significance, which I will not now explain (but would if necessary).

Also, if we are recompensed with passage to heaven, as you say, then you are saying we earn our salvation. My friend, you don't mean that, do you?

On an interpersonal note: I feel that the typed word is harsh in the way it comes off sometimes. The lack of interpersonal relationships, without the eye contact and voice, etc., makes it difficult to interpret the attitude of folks at times. I want to assure you that if I sound abrupt or cutting, I don't mean to be.

Also, I don't feel you were being dismissive at all. Rather, I just feel confused about what you are saying, because you said so little.

God bless you.
    Love first, ... answer questions ... later ...

Thread Information