cure-real

Thread: How does my sin hurt/offend God?

How does my sin hurt/offend God?

Any thoughts or scripture would be helpful.

Re: How does my sin hurt/offend God?

Ephesians 4:29-30
    29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
    30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahtar View Post
    Ephesians 4:29-30
    29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
    30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
    What does that mean. Does God have an emotional response to my sin?

Clearly He is grieved by our sin. Did you think God to be an emotionless, heartless entity? He loves His children, all of them, so much that He sent His Son to die, to make a way for man to regain access to His Presence, and yes, He is grieved when they rebel against the One Who designed and created them.

Sin's consequences:
    "your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden his face from you so that he does not hear. Isaiah 59:2 "
    "your sins have kept good from you." Jeremiah 5:25
    "my righteous one shall live by faith, and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him.” Hebrews 10:38
    "because you have ignored all my counsel and would have none of my reproof, I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when terror strikes you, when terror strikes you like a storm and your calamity comes like a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you. Then they will call upon me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently but will not find me. Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the LORD, would have none of my counsel and despised all my reproof, therefore they shall eat the fruit of their way, and have their fill of their own devices. For the simple are killed by their turning away, and the complacency of fools destroys them;" Proverbs 1:25-32
    "if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries. Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the evidence of two or three witnesses. How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has spurned the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace? For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine; I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people.” It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." Hebrews 10:26-31
    "But they rebelled and grieved his Holy Spirit; therefore he turned to be their enemy, and himself fought against them." Isaiah 63:10

Quote Originally Posted by Kahtar View Post
    Clearly He is grieved by our sin. Did you think God to be an emotionless, heartless entity? He loves His children, all of them, so much that He sent His Son to die, to make a way for man to regain access to His Presence, and yes, He is grieved when they rebel against the One Who designed and created them.
    Woah Nelly! I didn't doubt it at all, I was just asking for clarification. I too think it has to do with His love for His Children.

Blog Entries

God is grieved by our sin.... And by the sin of the world.... But I think our sin is worse than the sin of the world.... It is all in the knowing vs. not knowing.... But my main point and text comes from Hebrews 10.... Which I have been posting a lot lately ....

Heb 10:26-31 LITV
    (26) For if we are willfully sinning after receiving the full knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice concerning sins,
    (27) but a certain fearful expectation of judgment and "zealous fire being about to consume the adversaries." Isa. 26:11
    (28) If anyone did not regard the Law of Moses, that one dies without pities on "the word of two or three witnesses," Deut. 17:6
    (29) how much worse punishment do you think will be thought worthy to receive, the one trampling the Son of God, and having counted common the blood of the covenant in which he was sanctified, and having insulted the Spirit of Grace?
    (30) For we know Him who has said, "Vengeance belongs to Me; I will repay," says the Lord. And again, "The Lord will judge His people." Deut. 32:35, 36
    (31) IT IS A FEARFUL THING TO FALL INTO THE HANDS OF THE LIVING GOD.

There is coming a time when Gods grace will run out.... And instead of a loving and gentle Maker.... Those who are behaving in this manner will see The Living God.... In all His glory and judgment.... If we sin willfully after we come to the light and after we walked with God then we can no longer claim the protection of the blood of the Lamb.... We can no longer assume our sin paid for.... Just as Jesus said in His parable....

Mat 18:32-35 LITV
    (32) Then having called him near, his lord said to him, Wicked slave! I forgave you all that debt, since you begged me.
    (33) Ought you not also to have mercy on your fellow slave, as I also had mercy?
    (34) And being angry, his lord delivered him up to the tormentors until he pay back all that debt to him.
    (35) So also My heavenly Father will do to you unless each of you from your hearts forgive his brother their deviations.

Specifically speaking this parable deals with one persons unwillingness to forgive another for sins done to them.... In a broader sense we know that unforgiveness is one of the gateway sins.... It leads to other sins.... But couple this with Hebrews 10.... Knowing that unforgiveness is a sin and Jesus said if you practice this sin you will not be forgiven either.... And we get the picture that we will fall into the hands of the Living God in a way that causes a fear unlike the fear we normally have.... Because He will say the same thing the master said to the wicked servant.... "Shouldn't you have done according to what you see ME do?"....

Blog Entries

It all depends on our heart. If our desire to sin outweighs the desire to serve the Lord, then we are in bad shape. A heart that desires sin more than serving the Lord is basically eternally separated from God.

For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
    (Heb 6:4-6)

If you like to take a very literal interpretation of Hab. 1:13 that God is too pure to look upon evil and couple that with the death of Christ on the cross where, at the moment of death, he cries out (Matt. 27:46) "My God, My God, Why hast thou forsaken me?" and you know that God had made Christ "who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him" (2 Cor 5:21), then you might reason that God cannot stand sin, cannot be in the presence of sin, even when that sin is in his own son (in whom he was well pleased). Therefore, when you sin, you are hurting God by placing sin in his presence.

The result of sin is pain and death. One reason God is hurt by our sin is that it is harmful to us and He full well knows that even a sin that is forgiven, can have consequences. God forgives the sin and the death penalty is satisfied by Christ's blood, but there is quite often a penalty that we pay.

Blog Entries

Watch the passion of Christ and remember what the sins of man cost Him, then you'll see that wilfully sinning after that precious blood has cleansed you, is an act of defiance and rebellion.It is telling God that even thought He did all that to be reconciled to you, you'd rather crave after your own fleshly desires.Your declaring each time you wilfully sin, that you are lord and not Him. It is rejection of God's love and power. Although it grieves God, we should be more concerned about the damage it will cost us.

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Quote Originally Posted by nimblewillsgrace View Post
    Any thoughts or scripture would be helpful.
    The tricky thing about sin is that its seldom single target. Whether there's another person directly affected, or slow marginal affect on society as a whole, sin almost always has collateral damage. So it might not be as much about the hypothetical "you" as one might think.

Thread Information