cure-real

Thread: Books/movies/tv shows

Books/movies/tv shows

I love reading and watching stuff about vampires and witches. The Secret Circle, Vampire Diaries, True Blood etc...I don't see anything wrong with watching and reading about this stuff as they are just stories. Something is nagging me and saying I shouldn't be watching this stuff. Some other older christians I see not having any part of these things so maybe that's where I get this from.

It could be the holy spirit? Another part of me says they are just stories so what harm could they do? I don't want to ignore Him...So maybe I should stop...ok..but where do I draw the line? I worry ALOT. Any advice/thoughts?

Thanks for reading my ramblings!

Re: Books/movies/tv shows

Hey RightMeow!
    That's great that you want to follow what God would have you do! I can't share from experience but a few verses that I would " draw the line by"
    2 Corinthians 10:5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
    Philippians4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
    And try asking the question what's right with it? instead of what's wrong with it cause we'll always find excuses. Filter everything you read or watch through the truth of God's Word. Yet if you don't know His truth it's easy to be taken captive by deceptive teaching and philosophy. That would be a real danger i see in vampire and witches, honestly i really haven't watched or read anything with vampires or witches in it. But I would suggest to start veering away from that type of stuff . And it's going to create a void in your life so fill it with spending time with God every day. And you'll find it's not really a matter of do or don't do but God has given me life -why do i want to waste my time on this stuff.
    Seek Jesus earnestly and you'll find the answer!

If you feel its wrong or You have doubts then it more then likely is something you stray away from.. I personally don't see anything wrong with it but it depends on how vulgar things get.

If there is something in you saying stop..you should stop
    I'm a walking paradox, No I'm not.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein

"rest assured, that with a heart that's pure, we'll be victorious and not let our hate get the best of us" - Stick to Your Guns

i was once like you not so long ago. i was so in loved with my vampires and witches books. but let me tell you. dont let the devil make you go into thous things. they made me feel bad about my self. and i always saw my life not worth it. they made my mood change and its really ungodly what they do. god docent like witchcraft and vampires. they are children of the night the opposite of light. and i know satan has changed them thinking that they could be good but no they are not.
    watching things like this could separate you from god. i was separated from god. i once thought like that but i notice how wrong i am. i was afraid to go to sleep but after i stop that i sleep like a baby thanks to go. you may not be having the same experiences as me but i know god dint wanted me around thous influences, as he docent want you around them.when i started being a christian i and was still watching thous shows i had dreams of talking to vampires about turning to god and that they too had souls. i feel bad that i even dreamed that. vampires are not real and god never created them. so they had no souls.

but i want you to watch this it really helped me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENGtXsRS2fs

Blog Entries

I would chose a different book Richard Dawkins has made himself a god, and his spirit is dead. He is a sad, sad man, who is trying to take multitudes to hell with him.

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Quote Originally Posted by RightMeow View Post
    I love reading and watching stuff about vampires and witches. The Secret Circle, Vampire Diaries, True Blood etc...I don't see anything wrong with watching and reading about this stuff as they are just stories. Something is nagging me and saying I shouldn't be watching this stuff. Some other older christians I see not having any part of these things so maybe that's where I get this from.

It could be the holy spirit? Another part of me says they are just stories so what harm could they do? I don't want to ignore Him...So maybe I should stop...ok..but where do I draw the line? I worry ALOT. Any advice/thoughts?

Thanks for reading my ramblings!
    All I can say is "ditto". I like Science fiction and I have read things like Harry Potter and Twilight. But I too have the same nagging feeling.
    But what to do? Stick with the Bible, Victorian writers, Shakespeare and Tolstoy..... ?
    Or Christian writers - frankly, most of the Christian fiction is not as interesting and engaging, with a few exceptions.

I've decided for the time being NOT to read "Fifty Shades of Grey" though. From what I understand of the plot, it's not a book for Christians.

Is there a thread on this forum to recommend Christian fiction? The top books from "Goodreads.com" were not fantastic reads, just average - apart from the Christian message

Quote Originally Posted by Indueseason View Post
    I would chose a different book Richard Dawkins has made himself a god, and his spirit is dead. He is a sad, sad man, who is trying to take multitudes to hell with him.

blessings to you
    Dawkins is just SOOOOOOOOO unsympathetic, his opinions aside.

You live in the UK, right? I have lived in London for quite a long time. A couple of years ago, it was just unbelievable on the Tube. Everyone seemed to be reading Dawkins! I'd stand on the train and look around, and apart from Dawkins, the rest seemed to be reading exclusively Stieg Larsson, Dan Brown, Harry Potter, Vampire books.

On a footnote - perhaps this forum should have a thread to recommend good Christian fiction.....!

Blog Entries

I don't have much experience with the London underground, I tend to live at extreme ends of the UK Why don't you start at thread in Christian Fellowship( in fact there might even be one there already) You can share the books you liked.

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Quote Originally Posted by Indueseason View Post
    I don't have much experience with the London underground, I tend to live at extreme ends of the UK Why don't you start at thread in Christian Fellowship( in fact there might even be one there already) You can share the books you liked.

blessings to you
    Thanks! Yes, I'll start a thread shortly! Extreme ends, lol?! Hmmm?! Well. I love the Highlands - had one of the best holidays ever there.. You are wise not to live in London if you can avoid it. Hopefully there is a future somewhere else in the UK for me. In the meantime South West London is not too bad - lots of big parks, the river etc.

The apostle Paul says not to give place to the devil. I mean, if there's something that you think is not right to watch, or whatever, then it's not right to do. I guess.

I like to watch certain things of fiction, but there are things which I got rid of, like Spider-Man for example. I decided to put it down and stop watching, because I heard that the hand sign he makes when he shoots his web was an "illuminati symbol" or something. Even now I still try to be very careful with what I watch. Especially if it has some bad stuff in there, because I notice that it effects how you think and act too, and I see it makes me loose my focus on God.
    Isaiah 53:6 "All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all."

Thread Information