cure-real
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Daily Bible Study - Jeremiah (2)

Re: My Daily Bible Study - Jeremiah (2)

Jeremiah 18+19

What does the text say? – The Lord told Jeremiah to go to the potter’s house, when there he saw the potter destroy something imperfect and make it into something else. The Lord said His people are in His Hands, like the imperfect pot in the hands of the potter. If He says a nation or kingdom is to be destroyed but it renounces it’s evil ways, He will not destroy it, and if He says He will Bless a nation but it then does not obey Him He will not Bless it. Then the Lord sent Jeremiah to tell the people of Judah and Jerusalem that if they didn’t change their ways disaster would come on them; the people told Jeremiah not to waste his breath for they would live how they wanted to. Therefore the Lord said that because His people had rejected Him and worshipped idols He would make their land a desolate monument to their stupidity, He would scatter His people before their enemies, and turn His back on them. The people plotted to spread rumours about Jeremiah and ignore what he said. Then Jeremiah told the Lord the people had dug a pit to kill him even though he’d tried to protect them from the Lord’s Anger – then he asked the Lord to ensure they suffered because they had turned against him, he asked the Lord not to forgive the people’s Sins and to deal with them in anger. The Lord told Jeremiah to take a clay pot and some elders and priests to the rubbish tip outside Jerusalem, and tell them the Lord would make the city a heap of ruins, a monument to stupidity; their enemies would lay siege to the city, then as the people watched him, he must smash the pot to demonstrate how The Lord will smash Jerusalem and Judah. Jeremiah did as the Lord commanded him.

Application? – If I let Him, the Lord will make my life into something good and useful to Him. The Lord has sent each of His people, me included, to tell others of Sin and Salvation. Am I rejected by those I seek to help? Is my present life a monument to my stupidity? Do I ignore good advise? Do I get angry when my advise is ignored? Do I always obey the Lord – however difficult it may be?

Jeremiah 20+21

What does the text say? – The Chief Governor of the Temple’s son, Pashur, put Jeremiah into stocks at the Benjamin gate. When he was released Jeremiah told Passur the Lord had re-named him Magor-Missabib (fear on every side) because he would live in terror as his family and friends were murdered or made captive, and they, and all the treasures of Jerusalem, were taken to Babylon. Jeremiah complained to the Lord that He had made him a laughing stock because he gave the Lord’s message to the His people, and he wished he was dead. King Zedekaih sent Pashur and Zephaniah to Jeremiah, asking him to inquire from the Lord regarding Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, who declared war on Jerusalem. The Lord replied that He would make the weapons of His people useless, and bring their enemies into the city, He would also fight the people Himself, because they had infuriated Him; and all who survived the disease, war and famine would be taken to Babylon. The Lord said the descendants of David must give justice to the people, help those who have been robbed and rescue the oppressed, otherwise His fury will be an unquenchable fire and they will be punished for their sinfulness.

Application? – What is the Lord’s name for me? Does Satan hold me captive, or do I fulfil the conditions of Salvation. Am I discouraged when the message the Lord tells me to give is constantly disregarded? Could the Lord be bringing enemies of the people into my nation to control it? Do I do all I can to ensure others receive justice? Do I help the needy? Do I rescue the oppressed?

Jeremiah 22+23

What does the text say? – The Lord said if the king ensures evil is stopped and justice always prevails in the land, the descendants of David will continue to be kings, but if they don’t obey Him but rule with unrighteousness and injustice their palaces will become piles of rubble because they have worshipped other gods. Josiah gave justice and helped the poor and needy, but his son Jehoiakim is greedy, dishonest, and reigns ruthlessly, so no one will mourn his death. The Lord will abandon Jehoiachin, Jehoiakim’s son, hand him over to Nebuchadnezzar, and none of his children will be king of Judah. The leaders of the Lord’s people have destroyed those they should have cared for and driven them to destruction; but the Lord will gather the remainder of them from the countries they have gone to, then He will appoint leaders who will care for them. The time is coming when the Lord will raise up a righteous descendant from David who will rule wisely and be called the ‘Lord is our Righteousness’. Jeremiah was distressed by all the false prophets and ungodly priests, and said the Lord will bring disaster on them. The Lord will bring disaster on the false prophets who tell those who despise Him that they will have peace – instead a whirlwind of the Lord’s anger will come on those who do not obey Him, for no one can hide from the Lord. The Lord’s Word burns like fire and can smash a rock. The Lord is against the false prophets whose imaginary dreams are flagrant lies, and they will be cast from His Presence.

Application? – Do I ensure I give justice and help when it is my power to do so? If I speak in the Name of the Lord do I ensure what I say is not my own ‘intelligent thoughts’ or desires?

Jeremiah 24+25

What does the text say? – the Lord showed Jeremiah 2 baskets of figs outside the Temple, after Nebuchadnezzar had taken king Jehoiakim’s son Jechoniah with the leaders, craftsmen and artisans of Judah to Babylon. One basket contained very good figs, the other very bad figs. The good figs represented those who had been sent away captive, for their own good, and He would bring them back to the land after 70 years when they had the desire to know Him and wholeheartedly be His people, and obey Him their God. But Zedekiah king of Judah and those left in Jerusalem, and those in Egypt, He would treat like bad figs and send war, famine and disease on them wherever He scattered them, and they would be mocked and cursed.
    Jeremiah told the people of Judah and Jerusalem that as they had disregarded him and other prophets for 10 years, when they were told that if only they repented and stopped worshipping other gods, the Lord would let them stay in the land He had given them – yet they had not listened. Therefore He would bring Nebuchadnezzar to destroy them, and the land would be desolate for 70 years. After 70 years the Lord would punish the kings of Babylon and destroy that land. The Lord gave Jeremiah a cup of His Anger to give to the kings of all the kingdoms of the world. The Lord was bringing trouble and war against them, and there would be no escape from the Lord’s Anger.

Application? – am I guilty of disregarding the Lord God and His Word? Do I worship other gods (anything, or anyone, that takes first place in my life)? If so, are difficulties I face my own fault?

Jeremiah 26+27

What does the text say? – When Josiah’s son Jehoiakim became king, the Lord told Jeremiah to stand in the Temple and proclaim that unless the people listen to the Lord and obey His Law and prophets He would destroy the Temple and make Jerusalem a curse to all nations. When Jeremiah obeyed the Lord the people decided he deserved to die, so Jeremiah said if they mended their ways the Lord would relent, but if they killed him it would be murder of an innocent man; then some of the Elders reminded the people that something similar had happened in the reign of Hezekiah. Urijah also prophesied at that time in the Lord’s Name in the same way as Jeremiah and Jehoiakim wanted to put him to death. Urijah escaped to Egypt but Hezekaih’s men took him back, and he was killed. Shaphan’s son Ahikam would not let them kill Jeremiah.
    The Lord told Jeremiah to send yokes back to the kings of Edom, Moab, Ammon, Tyre and Sidon by messenger and to tell them the Lord, who created all things, had given all their lands to Nebuchadnezzar, his son and grandson, then Babylon would be conquered. They must submit to Babylon’s king or the Lord would send war, famine and disease and if anyone prophecies anything else they lie. All the gold and bronze the Babylonians took from the Temple the Lord would return in due time.

Application? – Do I listen to, and obey the Lord? Does my obedience to the Lord anger others? If obeying the Lord could mean my death would I still obey Him? Would I protect the Lord’s servant whose life was in danger? How would I react if I was told the well-being of my nation depended on everyone submitting to the Lord? Would I be wise to totally submit to Him now?

Jeremiah 28+29

What does the text say? – At the beginning of Zedekiah’s reign Hananiah from Gibeon said to Jeremiah, in front of the priests and people in the temple, that the Lord God said He had broken the yoke of Babylon, and everyone and everything that had been taken there would be returned within 2 years, and he broke the yoke on Jeremiah’s neck. Jeremiah said he would like it to be true. Later he told Hananiah he had broken a yoke of wood, but it was replaced by a yoke of iron, and accused him of making the people trust in a lie, and because of that he would die that year. Hananiah died 2 months later.
    Jeremiah wrote to the captives in Babylon saying the Lord wanted them to make themselves at home and rear families in Babylon, seek the peace of that city and pray for it, for then they, too, would have peace. All prophets giving a contrary word were false, for only after 70 years would they return to their homeland. The Lord was giving them a future and a hope, for then they would seek Him with all their hearts and find Him, He would listen to their prayers and bring them back from captivity, but all those still in Jerusalem would be pursued by sword, famine and pestilence, because they did not heed His Word, and prophets in Babylon who said differently would be punished by the Lord.

Application? – Could I have ever encouraged anyone to believe a lie about God? Do I seek the Lord with my whole heart? Do I heed His Word? Do I pray within His Will?

Jeremiah 30+31
    What does the text say? – The Lord told Jeremiah He would return Israel and Judah to the land He gave to their ancestors. The present time (in captivity) was one of trouble for Jacob’s descendants but one day they would serve the Lord their God and He would save them; then the nations they were living among would be disciplined. The Lord’s people were more concerned about their discomfort than their Sin that was it’s cause. The Lord said when He brought His people home they would renew buildings on the old foundations, the people would be happy and the Lord would punish their oppressors, they would be His people and He would be their God.
    The Lord loves His people with an everlasting Love and will draw them back to Himself from the ends of the earth. Their mourning will turn to joy when they return to the Lord. He will make a New Covenant with His people. Everyone will know Him and He will Forgive and forget their Sins. The Lord is as likely to reject His people as He is to abolish the Laws of nature.

Application? – Do I serve the Lord God or someone/something else? Am I more concerned about my problems or how to correct them (eg. by repentance)? Am I one of the Lord’s people, by birth or adoption? Am I one of His New Covenant people? The Lord has never replaced the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in His affections.

[B]Jeremiah 32+33[/B]

What does the text say? – Jeremiah was imprisoned by king Zedekiah because he prophesied that Jerusalem would fall to the king of Babylon, and that Zedekiah and the people would be taken to Babylon. The Lord told Jeremiah that his uncle would ask him to buy his field; which he did, and Jeremiah bought the field. Jeremiah gave the deed of purchase to Baruch in front of witnesses, saying the Lord said houses, fields and vineyards would be possessed again in the land. He prayed to God exalting His Creative Power and that nothing is too hard for Him to accomplish, expressing his trust in God and His Word. Then the Lord told Jeremiah that one day, after the people had been punished for worshipping other gods, He would bring His people back home, they would have one heart and one mind to trust Him, and He would do them only good.
    Later, when Jeremiah was still in prison, the Lord said if he Called to Him He would answer and show him it was no use the people defending themselves against the Babylonians for He had abandoned them because of their wickedness; but one day the captives would return, be prosperous and have peace, and will know His faithful Love endures forever. Then He would raise up a righteous descendant of David and the people will know the Lord is their righteousness. His Covenant with David will only be broken if day does not follow night; the Lord will never abandon His people and there will always be a descendant of David to rule.

Application? – If I faithfully deliver the Lord’s Word I must expect to be ostracised. Do I recognise God’s supremacy in all things? Could my problems be punishment for worshipping other gods? Do I trust the Lord God completely, and in His faithfulness enduring forever? Do I know my only righteousness comes from the Lord? Do I allow Jesus Christ to rule my life?

Jeremiah 34+35

What does the text say? – Nebuchadnezzar was fighting against Jerusalem and Judah when the Lord told Jeremiah to tell Zedekiah He was giving the city to Nebuchadnezzar to burn, and that Zedekiah would be taken to Babylon but would not be killed; when he died he would be mourned by the people. Zedekiah made a Covenant in the Lord’s Name to free all their slaves, and did so; later they forced all their former slaves to return to slavery – defiling the Lord’s Name, so the Lord said He would punish them and all the cities of Judah would be without inhabitants.
    When Jehoiakim, Josiah’s son, was king the Lord told Jeremiah to take the Rechabites to the Temple and give them wine to drink, which he did. The Rechabites refused to drink the wine as their ancestor Jonadab had said they must not drink wine, have fields, grow crops or live in houses. They had always obeyed him ever since, only coming to Jerusalem for fear of the Babylonians. Then the Lord told Jeremiah to tell the men of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem that Jonadab’s descendants had always obeyed him, yet God’s people did not obey Him, therefore doom would come upon them because they had not obeyed Him, however, Jonadab would always have descendants who serve Him.

Application? – Have I ever broken a promise to the Lord? Am I obedient to promises by, or to, my forebears?

Jeremiah 36

What does the text say? – When Jehoiakim had been king 4 years the Lord told Jeremiah to write down everything He had said to him regarding Israel and Judah, then perhaps the people would take notice. Jeremiah sent for Baruch and dictated what the Lord had said to him; then as he was imprisoned, he sent Baruch to the Temple on a day of fasting (when people from the area would gather in the temple) to read the scroll. When Michaiah, the grandson of Shaphan, heard everything Baruch said he went and told the leaders of the people gathered in the king’s house. They sent for Baruch and listened to what Jeremiah had said. They promised to tell the king and advised Jeremiah and Baruch to hide. The king was sitting by the fire and when Jehudi had read a few columns the king cut them off and burnt them, until the whole scroll was burnt. Neither he, nor his courtiers, took any notice of what was read. The king sent his son to arrest Jeremiah and Baruch, but the Lord hid them. Then the Lord told Jeremiah to dictate for Baruch again, which he did, remembering more than he had before. The Lord also said none of Jehoiakim’s descendants would become king and his body would remain unburied.

Application? – Do I take notice of what the Lord has said? Do I, metaphorically, cut out portions of God’s Word that I don’t agree with, and disregard it? Have I turned against those who try to ensure I hear the Truth?

Jeremiah 39+40

What does the text say? – The siege of Jerusalem lasted 18 months before the Babylonians broke in. Zedekiah fled towards the Jordan valley, but the Babylonians caught him. Nebuchadnezzar made Zedekiah watch as his sons were killed, then his eyes were put out and he was led to Babylon with the people, in chains, and Jerusalem was burnt. A few of the poorest people were left in the land to tend the vineyards and fields. Gedaliah, who was made Governor, was told to look after Jeremiah, until he was taken with the people. The Lord promised to rescue Ebel-melech (who had rescued Jeremiah) because he trusted Him. Jeremiah was allowed to choose to either go to Babylon or remain in Judah, so he returned to Gedaliah at Mizpah. There were guerrilla bands in the country who heard Gedaliah had been made Governor so went to him at Mizpah; Gedaliah advised them to serve the Babylonians and work the land. Some Judeans who had escaped to other nations began to return home. Some guerrilla leaders told Gedaliah the king of Ammon had sent Ishmael to murder him, but Gedaliah didn’t believe it, and wouldn’t let Johanan kill Ishmael as he thought it was a lie.

Application? – Do I trust the Lord enough to do His Will in His Way? Do I ignore the Lord’s messengers, and so shorten my life unnecessarily?

Jeremiah 41-43

What does the text say? – Before long Ishmael went with 10 men and killed Gedaliah who Nebuchadnezzar had made Governor of the land, and all the Jews with him. Two days later 80 men arrived bringing offerings for the Temple, and Ishmael killed 70 of them, the other 10 said they had treasure they would share. Then Ishmael took all the people in Mizpah captive, including Jeremiah and Baruch. When Johanan heard what had happened he went to fight Ishmael and found him by the pool in Gibeon, but Ishmael escaped. Johanan took the people to a village near Bethlehem where they prepared to go to Egypt, for fear of the Babylonians.
    The people asked Jeremiah to ask the Lord God what they should do, and promised to obey Him. 10 days later the Lord answered Jeremiah’s prayer; saying they must remain in the land, then He would rescue them by making the Babylonian king allow them to return to their own land. But if they went to Egypt the war and famine they feared would overtake them, and they’d die there.
    Despite their promise to obey the Lord, Johanan and his men took all the people, including Jeremiah and Baruch, to Egypt, where Jeremiah prophesied that the king of Babylon would conquer Egypt.

Application? – If I disobey the Lord I will suffer – wherever I may go, trying to escape, for I cannot escape from Him.

Jeremiah 44,45+46

What does the text say? – In Egypt, the God of Israel told Jeremiah to tell the people He had destroyed their land because the people had disregarded Him for many years and worshipped other gods, although they’d been warned by His prophets time after time. All the people who’d gone to Egypt would die in war or famine to stop them returning to Judah – but the people refused to listen to Jeremiah, saying they’d had a good life when worshipping the queen of heaven (Ashtoreth) so would continue to worship her. Jeremiah said it was those offerings to the queen of heaven that drove the Lord to punish them for not obeying Him. The Lord also said He would ensure Hophra, king of Egypt was killed.
    The Lord told Baruch he wouldn’t become great but would have his life as his reward for obedience.
    The Lord told Jeremiah Nebuchadnezzar would declare war on Egypt and win, but afterwards the land would recover. The Israelites must not fear or be dismayed for their descendants would return to Judah, for the Lord would make an end to the nations that exiled them, while His people would only be disciplined with justice.

Application? – Why do some people call Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ, the ‘queen of heaven’ and worship her, don’t they realise that was the name given to Ashteroth – could they, unwittingly, also be worshipping a ‘foreign god’? What the Lord says He will do He will always make happen in His time.

Jeremiah 47-52

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)

“ Chapter 47 – “ foretelling the desolation of Philistia by Babylon, was fulfilled 20 years later when Nebuchadnezzar took Judah .

Chapter 48 – A picture of impending desolation of Moab (which) helped Nebuchadnezzar against Judah, but was later devastated by him (582 BC). For centuries the land had lain desolate and sparsely inhabited, the ruins of it’s many cities testifying to it’s ancient populousness.

Chapter 49 – A prediction that Nebuchadnezzar would conquer Ammon, Edom, Syria, Hazor, and Elam; which he did. (see Ezekiel 25:1-11 and Obadiah).

Chapter 50+51 – The fall and perpetual desolation of Babylon is here predicted, in language matching the grandeur of the theme (51:37-43), as Isaiah had done earlier (Isaiah 13:17-22). The Medes, leading a great company of nations, are named as the conquerors (50:9; 51:11, 27, 28). These two chapters, pronouncing the doom of Babylon, were copied into a separate book, and sent to Babylon, in a deputation headed by King Zedekiah, seven years before Nebuchadnezzar burned Jerusalem (51:59-64). The book was to be read publicly and then, in solemn ceremony, sunk in the Euphrates, with these words, “Thus shall Babylon sink and not rise.”

Chapter 52 - Captivity of Judah (see 2 Kings 24, 25)”

Thread Information