cure-real
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Titus 3:10 A man that is an heretic

Titus 3:10 A man that is an heretic

How do we obey this?

How do we know if a man is an heretic?

Is an heretic different from an apostate?

Is an heretic a saved person?

The dictionary defines heretic as one who holds an unorthodox opinion.

Paul in admonishing Titus in vs 9 says to avoid foolish question, genealogies, and contentions, strivings about the law. Is this the critera we are to use?

Are we to self check to avoid heresy?

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Re: Titus 3:10 A man that is an heretic

Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post
    Paul in admonishing Titus in vs 9 says to avoid foolish question, genealogies, and contentions, strivings about the law. Is this the critera we are to use?

Given how many times that verse has been whipped out as an answer for my most serious and sincere questions, I would never trust my own opinion in using it as a criteria. "Self Checking" is a novel concept though, and would likely go a long way in helping.

Quote Originally Posted by HisLeast View Post
    Given how many times that verse has been whipped out as an answer for my most serious and sincere questions, I would never trust my own opinion in using it as a criteria. "Self Checking" is a novel concept though, and would likely go a long way in helping.
    Surely the Jews saw Christians as heretics. The same for protestants in the eyes of the catholics.

From a biblical perspective how do we determine heresy and apply the verse? Do we only reject the heresy or the heretic himself?

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Luther was a heretic. Thank God for heretics.

If what someone believes in contradicts what the bible teaches, I'd say that is a good rule of thumb. I think going by unorthodox or orthodox would be going by man's opinions when only what the bible says is truth.

How do we obey this?

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Hi notuptome
    I think Paul was describing the parameters where heretics will be found in Titus 3, rather than defining a heretic there.

Not everyone who questions or inquires to proposes a fresh view to be analyzed is a heretic, but at the same time you will not find a heretic who does not do those things.

Quote Originally Posted by nimblewillsgrace View Post
    Luther was a heretic. Thank God for heretics.
    Amen to that ! ...Jesus was a heretic too.
    God bless you.

Father bless and have mercy on us.

Heretic = another Jesus and / or another gospel. "Let him be accursed" applied to these parameters.

Everything else is either (1) error - most of us have beliefs that fall into this category, wrong ideas about scripture; (2) deception - non-heretical ideas that affect the quality of our life in God; strongholds and false ideas that have negative consequences related to our emotions, thoughts, actions.

One can be deceived about doctrinal points yet still be "in Christ" with evidence of the fruits of salvation.
    The Rookie

Twelve is the number of government. Thus, it is quite apropos that I am on my way towards wielding the power of twelve bars - each bar like, say, a tribe.....or a star.....or, maybe an apostle. A blue apostle. Like apostle smurfs. Does anyone remember smurfs? And all the controversy about them being from the devil? It's probably bad that I juxtaposed "apostle" and "smurf" in the same sentence. But then, I probably lost you at "blue apostle". Yes, my friends, this is what "rare jewel of a person" is actually implying. "Rare Jewel of a Person" really means, "Potentially Insane".

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Here is a note from a study Bible...

3:10-11 Have nothing more to do with him describes the final stage of church discipline (see also 1 Cor 5). A divisive person who refuses to repent and change after being confronted (see Matt 18:15-20) shows himself to be twisted by sin (warped); thus he is self-condemned. The NT is clear about seeking the repentance of such people, but it is equally clear that refusal to receive rebuke eventually shows that one is not in Christ and must be excluded from the Christian community.

ESV - Study Bible
    So is Paul just reemphasizing the instructions about booting such people out of the church
    Slug1--out

~Does Predestination mean: Once of the devil, Always of the devil?~

~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

A heretic is a divider of the brethren. A schismatic person. Someone who holds a weird doctrinal view is not necessarily a heretic. A heretic is known by his agenda. He seeks to destroy what God is building.

Care must be taken to discern that a prophet of God may APPEAR to be heretic as there is a dividing going on. There is a difference between pruning and cutting down the tree.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
    A heretic is a divider of the brethren. A schismatic person. Someone who holds a weird doctrinal view is not necessarily a heretic. A heretic is known by his agenda. He seeks to destroy what God is building.

Care must be taken to discern that a prophet of God may APPEAR to be heretic as there is a dividing going on. There is a difference between pruning and cutting down the tree.
    Amen... walk into many churches today and lay down prostrate at the front of the church and pray only while doing this and people will discern a nut. Many won't be able to discern a prophet who is only being obedient to what God may be telling them what to do.
    Slug1--out

~Does Predestination mean: Once of the devil, Always of the devil?~

~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

How do we obey this?

For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    A prime example of a heretic is found in Revelation 22:18-19 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, if any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book. And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Something I never noticed before in these two verses is that there is no curse mentioned for adding words, only adding things, while there is a curse for removing words.

The Greek word for "things" is "tauta" and is translated "things" 158 and "words" 7 times. Any significance do you think?

My thoughts are that you could add words that mean the same thing, but if you take something away it is gone.

Titus 3:11 says that the heretic is subverted and sinneth being condemned of himself. Is this saying that the heretic is a lost soul?

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by MoreMercy View Post
    Hi notuptome
    I think Paul was describing the parameters where heretics will be found in Titus 3, rather than defining a heretic there.

Not everyone who questions or inquires to proposes a fresh view to be analyzed is a heretic, but at the same time you will not find a heretic who does not do those things.
    Seems more significant than simply purposing a fresh view.
    Amen to that ! ...Jesus was a heretic too.
    I find this type of response distasteful. Please refrain from such in the future.

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by the rookie View Post
    Heretic = another Jesus and / or another gospel. "Let him be accursed" applied to these parameters.

Everything else is either (1) error - most of us have beliefs that fall into this category, wrong ideas about scripture; (2) deception - non-heretical ideas that affect the quality of our life in God; strongholds and false ideas that have negative consequences related to our emotions, thoughts, actions.

One can be deceived about doctrinal points yet still be "in Christ" with evidence of the fruits of salvation.
    So you would say that an heretic is a believer? What then of the he is subverted sinneth and condemned of himself? vs 11

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Amen... walk into many churches today and lay down prostrate at the front of the church and pray only while doing this and people will discern a nut. Many won't be able to discern a prophet who is only being obedient to what God may be telling them what to do.
    What brilliant reasoning.

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Thread Information