cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: The Occult Connections of Westcott and Hort

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ol Misery
    Posts
    191

    The Occult Connections of Westcott and Hort

    Almost all of the Bible translations since the late 19th century - for
    the New Testament - are based upon the Greek text of Westcott and Hort
    (1881). The New International Version (NIV) first published in 1978
    claims to be based on the Nestle-Aland Greek Text, which is similar to
    the Westcott-Hort text because it is also based on the Alexandarian
    Greek texts. The Alexandarian texts are the Sinaiticus and Vaticanus.
    Sinaiticus was found in the trash at a religious site at the foot of
    Mount Sinai in A.D.1844. Codex Vaticanus, a 4th century document, was
    found in 1481 in the Vatican library in Rome, where it had apparently
    been for a long time. Both Greek texts are believed to have been
    created in or near Alexandaria, Egypt,

    There is a strong possibility that there were 3rd and 4th century
    gnostic influences upon some verses in the Greek New Testament texts -
    Sianaticus and Vaticanus - used by Westcott
    and Hort for their 1881 Greek text.

    Dean Gotcher, the authority on the use of the dialectic in society and
    in Christian discourse, on his website,
    http://www.authorityresearch.com/ARTICLES_Other/Source of the King James Bible.htm

    says "Faith does not come by hearing mans opinion of God's word (there
    is no certainty, conviction, or conversion in opinions), but rather
    faith comes by hearing God's word itself. It is important you know
    (you are certain) that what you are hearing, reading, studying,
    preaching, and teaching is God's word. "Man does not live by bread
    alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the God."
    Jesus quoting Deuteronomy 8:3

    What eventually became entitled the Textus Receptus or the "received
    text" (1633) was first presented by Erasmus (Novum Instrumentum omne,
    1516). It was compiled from several manuscripts from the 'Majority
    text,' i.e. the Byzantine (Syrian) text, which were a large number of
    manuscripts and fragments originally protected by the eastern church
    from the western church's (Roman Catholics church's) efforts to
    destroy them, and therefore were not accessible to the western world
    until after the 1453 conquest of Constantinople by the Ottoman Empire.
    By Christians fleeing from the east into the west, these guarded
    manuscripts were eventually accessible to western scholars.

    Today there is a major move to confuse the Protestant Church and bring
    it back under Roman Catholic rule (the "ecumenical" movement). By
    discrediting the use of the Textus Receptus as God's Word, examining
    (and thus negating) the Word of God in the "light" of Gnostic text,
    the Protestant Church is being seduced, deceived, and manipulated,
    drawn away from the preaching and teaching of sound doctrine and into
    the dialoguing of mans opinions.
    The Alexandrian and Origen text (Gnostic texts) are the basis for
    almost all contemporary translations. Oregenes Adamantius 185-245 AD,
    was a Greek, Egyptian-born Gnostic writer, teacher, & mystic, who,
    with his contingent of scribes, synthesized philosophical teachings
    into the scriptures (which no longer made them God's word but rather
    the opinions of men, needing enlightened men thereon to interpret
    them). These Gnostic texts, with their humanistic, philosophical base,
    have opened the churches and seminaries up to humanistic reasoning
    (higher criticism or vain speculations) and dialogue, with the
    opinions of men in control of the meaning of God and His Word. Almost
    all translations today carry this error (heresy).
    Most Christians who detected the error of the "Church Growth
    Movement," the emergent church, etc. were using translations from the
    Textus Receptus (King James, Geneva, Tyndale, Luther, etc. bibles)
    They discerned the compromise, i.e. the structural change of the word
    of God, and the resulting humanism being practiced within the
    "contemporary" church, by their having been raised in Churches using
    translations from the Textus Receptus."

    And - Westcott and Hort were interested
    in occult phenomena according to their sons who both wrote biographies
    of their fathers. Gnosticism was a source for the 19th century English
    occult movement, which Westcott and Hort took part in. Now we are
    seeing a revival of gnosticism and gnostic influences in the New Age
    Occult movement, which has seeped over into the Christian Church.

    The documentation that Westcott and Hort were very interested in the
    occult is important
    in understanding the motivations of this pair of Englishmen for
    wanting to replace the Textus Receptus and the King James Version.
    Why were they opposed to the Textus Receptus and the King James?

    Why did they select two fourth century Greek texts, the Sinaiticus
    Vaticanus, associated with Alexandaria, Egypt rather than some other
    Greek texts?

    However, we have to look at their 1881 Greek text in comparison with
    the Textus Receptus to understand its problems.

    Helena Blavatsky (1831-1891) was an important figure in the 19th century occult
    movement in England. Several Anglican Spiritualists were part of the
    occult revival that included Fenton John Anthony Hort and Brooke Foss Westcott.

    Westcott and Hort were active in the British nineteenth century Ghost
    Society and in the Society for Psychical Research. They were
    interested in paranormal phenomena. These two
    Anglican theologians created a Greek text which disagrees in many verse
    wordings with the Textus Receptus Greek text, used for the King James
    Version of 1611. Almost all recent New Testament translations are from
    the 1881 Westcott-Hort Greek text - and not from the Textus Receptus.

    The loyal followers of Westcott and Hort - the Riders on their
    Wrecking Machine - will deny that the two Anglican theologians had
    anything to do with the 19th century English occult revival. This is
    why we should be more careful than Christians usually are in
    identifying our sources for
    the claim that Westcott and Hort were important figures within the
    British nineteenth century occult movement.

    Alan Gauld in The Founders of Psychical Research, NY:Schocken Books,
    1968, p. 66, says "Cambridge professor, Fenton John Antony
    Hort, Anglican clergyman, Brooke Foss Westcott . and the future
    Archbishop of Canterbury, Edward White Benson, founded the Cambridge
    Ghost Society in 1851."

    Then Arthur Westcott tells us in Life and Letters of Brooke Foss Westcott, New
    York Macmillan and Co., 1896, Vol. I, p. 118, 119, that "His devotion
    with ardour is indicated in a 'Ghostly Circular' authorized by him.
    'The interest and importance of a serious and
    earnest inquiry into the nature of the phenomena which are vaguely
    called 'supernatural' will scarcely be questioned." "His" refers to
    Arthur Westcott's father, Brooke Foss Westcott.

    On page 118 Arthur Westcott writes that his father Brooke F. Wesctott
    said in the "Ghostly Circular" that "Many persons believe that all
    such apparently mysterious occurrences are due either to purely
    natural causes, or to delusions of the mind or senses, or to willful
    deception. But there are many others who believe it possible that the
    beings of the unseen world may manifest themselves in extraordinary
    ways...If the belief of the latter class should be
    ultimately confirmed, the limits which human knowledge respecting the
    spirit world has hitherto reached might be ascertained with some
    degree of accuracy."

    Brooke F. Westcott wanted to investigate occult phenomena to see if it
    could be shown to reliably exist.

    Yet at least 17 verses in the Bible warn against dealing with familiar
    spirits. Other texts say not to consult wizards, soothsayers,
    astrologers, or diviners. Many followers of Westcott and Hort will
    refuse to consider that these two
    were violating Biblical law by dealing with the occult.
    Ezekiel 13: 22 can be interpreted to teach that the promoters of
    Westcott and Hort have "...strengthened the hands of the wicked, that
    he should not return from his wicked way..." Some may be caught in the
    Westcott-Hort trap,
    and are boxed in so that they will not see the problems of these two
    unbelieving Anglican churchmen.

    W.H. Salter in his book,The Society For Psychical Research, An Outline
    of It's History, London, 1948, p. 8, says "The original objective of
    the Society for Psychical.Research (S.P.R,). was to conduct research
    into "that large group of debatable phenomena designated by such terms
    as
    mesmeric, psychical and spiritualistic." Committees were organized to
    examine telepathy, hypnotism, mesmeric trance, clairvoyance, ESP,
    apparitions, haunted houses, and to determine the laws of physical
    spiritualistic phenomena. In recognition of the important work
    accomplished by Benson, Westcott and Hort -- the leaders of its
    precursor, the Cambridge Ghost Society -- the S.P.R. Historical
    Outline posits, "It would hardly have been possible for the new
    Society to undertake an enquiry of such a kind or on such as scale if
    several of its
    leading members had not already gained previous experience of the
    difficulties attaching to that type of investigation."

    The son of Fenton Hort, Arthur Hort, in Life and Letters of Fenton
    John Anthony Hort, Macmillan, 1896, Vol 1, pp. 170-172 wrote that his
    father was active in "Two other societies...in both of which Hort
    seems to have been the moving spirit...the other called... the Ghostly
    Guild. The object was to collect and classify authenticated instances
    of what are now called psychical phenomena."

    Hort and his associate Westcott were both heavily involved in the
    Society for Psychical Research.

    There is a reference which says that the Society for Psychical
    Research held seances and interviewed Helena P. Blavatsky, who is a
    forerunner of the present New Age Occult movment. "In its early
    stages, the S.P.R. (Society For Psychical Research) held sťances in
    the townhouse of Arthur Balfour of which his sister Eleanor was the
    principle organizer. Various mediums of reputation were investigated
    with the purpose of ruling out charlatans and determining if entities
    from the spirit realm or deceased persons did in fact communicate with
    the living. In 1884, Madame H.P. Blavatsky, founder of the
    Theosophical Society, was interviewed by a committee of the
    S.P.R....the S.P.R. was at first -- "…considerably impressed by the
    evidence of Mme Blavatsky and her friends..." From: W.H. Salter, The
    Society For Psychical Research, An Outline of it's History,
    London,1948, pp 21-22.

    In addition, the Society For Psychical Research sponsored a number of
    seance settings from 1889 to 1890 by spirit medium Leonora Piper of
    Boston, and by Rosalee Thompson, a British spirit medium in 1897 and
    1898. There are a few links on Google to these seances held by the
    Society For Psychical Research. Type in the names of the two spirit
    mediums above and "Society For psychical Research."

    In studying the occult, the Anglican theologians and other members of
    the English elite class made the occult more acceptable. This same
    process seems to have happened in the seventies and eighties when
    American psychologists and communications professors studied hard core
    pornography. They made pornography more acceptable, not only to the
    college students they showed it to, but also to others.

    Psychologist Leonard Berkowitz of the University of Wisconsin and Ed
    Donnerstein - another Wisconsin professor - showed a porno movie of
    two men tying up and raping a
    woman. This was reported in the Journal of Personality and Social
    Psychology. See Donnerstein, E. & Berkowitz, L. (1981). Victim
    reactions in aggressive erotic films as a factor in violence against
    women. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 41, 710-724.
    Berkowitz was one of my professors at Wisconsin.

    Acceptance of porno came in on the heels of the counterculture, and
    was part of the process of breaking down Christian morality and
    weakening the family. The Dot Com Culture on the Internet has helped
    to spread acceptance of pornography. Very few people over the years
    have understood the occult and satanic implications of porno.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    2,254

    Re: The Occult Connections of Westcott and Hort

    northwye,

    We are worlds apart in our basic doctrine, but this article of yours has merit for discussion. History has shown that one's background does influence one. If you have been around a variety of Christian circles you might have noticed that the bulk of Christians who try to predict the day (and hour) of the Lord's second coming, usually have a background of doing this, like Jehovah's Witnesses. Likewise, those who come from a background of spiritism usually tend towards the supernatural easier that those who come from a scientific background.

    But equally true is that we cannot judge a person based on their background. Take Paul for instance. He was a Pharisee and a murderer of Christians. This background initially was detrimental to his ministry (Act.9:19-26), but God at length confirmed it and we have a major part of the New Testament coming from Paul. If we were to judge Paul on his background alone, we must discard much of the bible and most of the truths and doctrines of the Church.

    So it is left to each of us to judge a man only on what he says. The beauty of the Internet, and subsequently this Forum, is that not one of us has a background. If we are fair to one another, we should only judge on what is said, without putting people in a box based on some supposed background. Westcott and Hort have provided much controversy with their translations (which naturally come from their chosen texts). I personally favor the Received Texts, but as a bible student it behooves me to enquire as to what they say. In His great wisdom, our God has allowed these texts to be there and although I believe some mischief has come from them, it has provoked another in depth study of God's great Word.

    Some of the most used servants of the Lord have come from some really questionable backgrounds. If a Satanist looks up at the sky on a sunny day in Phoenix, Arizona, and says that the sky is blue, shall we discard his statement based on the fact that he worships the father of lies?

  3. #3

    Re: The Occult Connections of Westcott and Hort

    Hmmm, sounds like another good reason to stick to the good ol' original King James Version.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ol Misery
    Posts
    191

    Re: The Occult Connections of Westcott and Hort

    "In His great wisdom, our God has allowed these texts to be there and although I believe some mischief has come from them, it has provoked another in depth study of God's great Word."

    "These texts" are the Westcott-Hort Greek text and its English offspring.

    Romans 9: 21: "Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?"

    Luke 17: 1 "It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come!"

    John 8: 35; "And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Earth-USA-MidWest
    Posts
    1,857

    Re: The Occult Connections of Westcott and Hort

    I will and do read from any version or translation and profit !
    (although I mainly study from KJV)

    I agree God allows such mischief, although that is not my opinion concerning Westcott and Hort.
    I am not educated concerning them.

    But, concerning such mischief: those who love Him according to His definition of loving Him, those can drink poison/false teachings and not be harmed, they can also tread on or handle serpents/false teachers and not be harmed. God seals them that love Him from such falsehood.... love Him according to His definition of loving Him.


    Father bless and have mercy on us.

  6. #6

    Re: The Occult Connections of Westcott and Hort

    I have reason to believe that all text that speak of God's word refer to the Rhema Word. His sheep know his voice. Words not engraved in stone or written in ink but God Himself speaking to those that have ear to hear.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    central pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,019

    Re: The Occult Connections of Westcott and Hort

    Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    Some of the most used servants of the Lord have come from some really questionable backgrounds. If a Satanist looks up at the sky on a sunny day in Phoenix, Arizona, and says that the sky is blue, shall we discard his statement based on the fact that he worships the father of lies?
    If Saul had written the Pauline Epistles before his name was changed to Paul, and while, yet, he was still going about slaying Christians, would you have accepted them as the word of God?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    2,254

    Re: The Occult Connections of Westcott and Hort

    Quote Originally Posted by rejoice44 View Post
    If Saul had written the Pauline Epistles before his name was changed to Paul, and while, yet, he was still going about slaying Christians, would you have accepted them as the word of God?
    No. But my main reason would not primarily be his actions. Our Lord Jesus said that the Pharisees doctrine was leaven. Our Lord Jesus said that the Pharisees had made His Father's Word of none effect because of their traditions. Our Lord Jesus had said that they were a "generation of vipers", which means that their father was a serpent, and scripture only knows One Serpent who turns into a "great red Dragon." On this would I base my decision.

    If I were to base my decision on actions then both Paul and Peter must be discarded AFTER their conversion. Peter did not join himself to Christians for fear of Jews, AFTER his conversion (Gal.2:11-12), and Paul went down to Jerusalem after a twofold warning from accredited prophets not to go, AFTER his conversion (Act.21:4, 8-12). And I dare say that if any one of you readers could look into my life you would have the same decision to make. After all - who is perfect? So honestly admitting failure at all levels in Christianity, what is left? Only what the man or woman says. It must be judged in the light of scripture, not in the light of human failure.
    Last edited by Walls; Oct 31st 2011 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    central pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,019

    Re: The Occult Connections of Westcott and Hort

    Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    If I were to base my decision on actions then both Paul and Peter must be discarded AFTER their conversion. Peter did not join himself to Christians for fear of Jews, AFTER his conversion (Gal.2:11-12), and Paul went down to Jerusalem after a twofold warning from accredited prophets not to go, AFTER his conversion (Act.21:4, 8-12). And I dare say that if any one of you readers could look into my life you would have the same decision to make. After all - who is perfect? So honestly admitting failure at all levels in Christianity, what is left? Only what the man or woman says. It must be judged in the light of scripture, not in the light of human failure.
    Your perception is that only Gentiles are Christians, which appears to be the general consensus. There is a lot to the meaning of a word and that meaning often varies among the hearer. Christian to me means follower of Christ. Did the Jewish Apostles follow Christ?

    Was Paul a Jew or a Christian?

    Are the scriptures inspired by God, or are they open to interpretation by men?

    The Apostles believed in the Deity of Christ, but obviously Hort did not, otherwise he would not have insisted on a Unitarian on his translation committee, whose stated purpose was to remove anything that pointed to the Deity of Christ.

    Hort believed that Genesis was a myth. Hort believed in evolution and considered blacks as being on a lower level of the evolution graph.

    Do you believe God would have chosen Hort to reinterpret the Bible?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    2,254

    Re: The Occult Connections of Westcott and Hort

    Quote Originally Posted by rejoice44 View Post
    Your perception is that only Gentiles are Christians, which appears to be the general consensus. There is a lot to the meaning of a word and that meaning often varies among the hearer. Christian to me means follower of Christ. Did the Jewish Apostles follow Christ?

    Was Paul a Jew or a Christian?

    Are the scriptures inspired by God, or are they open to interpretation by men?

    The Apostles believed in the Deity of Christ, but obviously Hort did not, otherwise he would not have insisted on a Unitarian on his translation committee, whose stated purpose was to remove anything that pointed to the Deity of Christ.

    Hort believed that Genesis was a myth. Hort believed in evolution and considered blacks as being on a lower level of the evolution graph.

    Do you believe God would have chosen Hort to reinterpret the Bible?
    I don't recall addressing one of the above. Please refresh my memory. Or, do you need help with them? I'll be happy to answer your new thread.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    central pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,019

    Re: The Occult Connections of Westcott and Hort

    Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    I don't recall addressing one of the above. Please refresh my memory. Or, do you need help with them? I'll be happy to answer your new thread.
    You had previously addressed my following quotes, (1) "Your perception is that only Gentiles are Christians, which appears to be the general consensus. There is a lot to the meaning of a word and that meaning often varies among the hearer. Christian to me means follower of Christ. Did the Jewish Apostles follow Christ?" "Was Paul a Jew or a Christian?"

    You addressed these quotes when you said, "Peter did not join himself to Christians for fear of Jews, AFTER his conversion."

    Instead of stating Peter did not join himself to "Christians", the proper statement would be Peter did not join himself to "Gentiles". That is why I asked if Paul was a Jew, or a Christian.

    (2) "Do you believe God would have chosen Hort to reinterpret the Bible?"

    This question had followed your statement "And I dare say that if any one of you readers could look into my life you would have the same decision to make. After all - who is perfect?"

    You said you were not perfect, (by implication) therefore Hort did not need to be perfect. But you did not reinterpret the Bible.

    I apologize if I have taken this thread off subject. The title of this thread, "The Occult Connections of Westcott & Hort" is a relatively short subject since most of what is known about Westcott and Horts connections to the Occult has been covered by the OP.

    Mystics in general is a rather broad subject and has been a part of the Catholic Church for a long time. Hort's leanings were toward the Vatican and a reverence for Mary.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    2,254

    Re: The Occult Connections of Westcott and Hort

    Quote Originally Posted by rejoice44 View Post
    You had previously addressed my following quotes, (1) "Your perception is that only Gentiles are Christians, which appears to be the general consensus. There is a lot to the meaning of a word and that meaning often varies among the hearer. Christian to me means follower of Christ. Did the Jewish Apostles follow Christ?" "Was Paul a Jew or a Christian?"

    You addressed these quotes when you said, "Peter did not join himself to Christians for fear of Jews, AFTER his conversion."
    I'm sorry if I've missed something, but how could I have addressed the above quote when it came after my last posting. If you check the sequence I'm sure you will agree that you are addressing my posting.

    Instead of stating Peter did not join himself to "Christians", the proper statement would be Peter did not join himself to "Gentiles". That is why I asked if Paul was a Jew, or a Christian.
    You are correct. I am at fault for assuming too much. I assumed that the readers would be familiar with the events at Antioch in Acts Chapters 11, 13 and 15. Because of the disputes that took place there scripture divides the believers into those of Gentile origin and of Jewish origin. I was just followed the scripture that said, "And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch" (Act.11:26)


    (2) "Do you believe God would have chosen Hort to reinterpret the Bible?"

    This question had followed your statement "And I dare say that if any one of you readers could look into my life you would have the same decision to make. After all - who is perfect?"

    You said you were not perfect, (by implication) therefore Hort did not need to be perfect. But you did not reinterpret the Bible.
    Just for the record, I do not support Hort et al. But my argument was that we who deign to sit in the judgment seat over another man's exegesis must do so only in what he has said, and not his past behavior. I appreciate that you disagree. But then, if we carry your argument to its logical conclusion, no one should be allowed to say anything as we are all short of Christ's standard of behavior, including Paul and Peter.

    I apologize if I have taken this thread off subject. The title of this thread, "The Occult Connections of Westcott & Hort" is a relatively short subject since most of what is known about Westcott and Horts connections to the Occult has been covered by the OP.

    Mystics in general is a rather broad subject and has been a part of the Catholic Church for a long time. Hort's leanings were toward the Vatican and a reverence for Mary.
    If I am correct, at no time in this thread have I defended Hort et al's doctrine. The original poster attempted to vilify Hort and Westcott's doctrine BASED on their behavior. Notice that the original poster never entered a doctrinal dispute. His sole evidence that all should discard Hort and Westcott is their leanings as recorded by history. My comment was that this is not enough. My comment was that if we are to live by this standard then no-one except our Lord Jesus was to be trusted. My comment is that in matters biblical it is what the exegesis is that counts and not behavior. The original poster regularly publishes lengthy reports on people he doesn't agree with, without ever entering into their exegesis. He attempts to discredit all his enemies with behavioral accusations and never once quotes them in context and refutes them doctrinally. You may support this method, but I say that those who would judge another man's exegesis must do it by accurate counter exegesis and sustained logic, not whether their first marriage failed, or they drink a couple of beers a week, or they once attended a seance.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    central pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,019

    Re: The Occult Connections of Westcott and Hort

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    I'm sorry if I've missed something, but how could I have addressed the above quote when it came after my last posting. If you check the sequence I'm sure you will agree that you are addressing my posting.
    Yes I was addressing your posts.

    You are correct. I am at fault for assuming too much. I assumed that the readers would be familiar with the events at Antioch in Acts Chapters 11, 13 and 15. Because of the disputes that took place there scripture divides the believers into those of Gentile origin and of Jewish origin. I was just followed the scripture that said, "And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch" (Act.11:26)
    Does verse 26 of Acts chapter 11 exclude Jews from the term "Christians"?

    Just for the record, I do not support Hort et al. But my argument was that we who deign to sit in the judgment seat over another man's exegesis must do so only in what he has said, and not his past behavior. I appreciate that you disagree. But then, if we carry your argument to its logical conclusion, no one should be allowed to say anything as we are all short of Christ's standard of behavior, including Paul and Peter.
    Hort did more than just write an exegesis, he rewrote the Bible.

    If I am correct, at no time in this thread have I defended Hort et al's doctrine. The original poster attempted to vilify Hort and Westcott's doctrine BASED on their behavior. Notice that the original poster never entered a doctrinal dispute. His sole evidence that all should discard Hort and Westcott is their leanings as recorded by history. My comment was that this is not enough. My comment was that if we are to live by this standard then no-one except our Lord Jesus was to be trusted. My comment is that in matters biblical it is what the exegesis is that counts and not behavior. The original poster regularly publishes lengthy reports on people he doesn't agree with, without ever entering into their exegesis. He attempts to discredit all his enemies with behavioral accusations and never once quotes them in context and refutes them doctrinally. You may support this method, but I say that those who would judge another man's exegesis must do it by accurate counter exegesis and sustained logic, not whether their first marriage failed, or they drink a couple of beers a week, or they once attended a seance.
    Hort's premise for his exegesis was that the Protestant Bible was vile. He started out with the lie that he only intended to revise some archaic words from that Protestant Bible, while his intent was to destroy it.

    You do not revise something by completely discarding it, and then looking for completely new material to use. It is proper to examine a man's purpose and intentions while examining his work. You don't hire a fox to guard the hen house.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    2,254

    Re: The Occult Connections of Westcott and Hort

    Quote Originally Posted by rejoice44 View Post
    Does verse 26 of Acts chapter 11 exclude Jews from the term "Christians"?
    Not to my understanding. But rather to set the record straight according to scripture, the Christians make up the Church. They were "disciples." Thus, according to Ephesians 2:15, God has taken individuals out of the nations, and out of the nation of Israel (the "twain"), and made one New Man. In this New Man their is neither Jew nor Greek (Gal.3:28; Col.3:11). The old is not recognized (2nd Cor.5:17).

    Quote Originally Posted by rejoice44 View Post

    Hort did more than just write an exegesis, he rewrote the Bible.

    Hort's premise for his exegesis was that the Protestant Bible was vile. He started out with the lie that he only intended to revise some archaic words from that Protestant Bible, while his intent was to destroy it.

    You do not revise something by completely discarding it, and then looking for completely new material to use. It is proper to examine a man's purpose and intentions while examining his work. You don't hire a fox to guard the hen house.
    I am in full agreement with you.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,359
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: The Occult Connections of Westcott and Hort

    Dear brother, over the years I have heard many people debate (many who end up very angry and emotional ) the KJO subject. I have read most of what you've taken the time to post before,and also read the posts of those who refute it's claims. It worried me, as a young Christian, that I may not have the "true bible" that would lead me in the truth. The debates never proved to me that one opinion was true, so I made sure I had a King James as well as my seemingly distorted version. That way I couldn't be led into error..............or so I thought

    I did fall into error, even with my King James study bible at hand. Thankfully that's not the end of the story, praise God, for when I cried out to THE TRUTH, He answered, and helped me on my way again!

    I didn't need to panic over what translation I read, I only had to believe Jesus when He said " I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth." John 16:13a( yes taken from the NIV )

    Everyone on this forum could use the King James version, and we would still come to a 1000 different conclusions. Without the Holy Spirit leading us, it don't matter what translation we're using, we'll never come to the truth.

    blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

    The Lifehouse Skit

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Occult Markings on No Greater Joy Ministries
    By Lisa Ruby in forum Families in Christ
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jul 14th 2009, 03:45 PM
  2. Friend that just started reading the bible... (Lost connections)
    By A820djd in forum Christian Fellowship
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Nov 3rd 2008, 10:33 PM
  3. Good sermon on the occult
    By daughter in forum Apologetics and Evangelism
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Oct 20th 2008, 12:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •