Psalm 41:1, “The fool has said in his heart, ‘There is no God’”
Matthew 15:8, “These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me”
When we hear of atheists who blatantly deny the existence of God, we may think of Psalm 41:1, which underscores the foolishness of not recognizing the reality of the God of the Bible. Foolish, too, are individuals who profess to believe in God but live as though He doesn’t really exist. They go right on with their sinful practices, ignoring the God who sees, hears, and knows everything they do, and who will one day hold them accountable for their deeds. They also pay little attention to God’s written Word, and pray only when they’re in deep trouble and see no other way out. However, there is third group of individuals who are just as foolish. My heart is saddened by the fact this group is made up of born again believers in Jesus Christ, having accepted Him as Savior of their life:
(1) Who fail to fully appropriate all that God has made available to them.
(2) Who try to live the Christian life in their own strength.
(3) Who don’t appreciate their body is the temple of God. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20, “ What? Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's”.
(4) Who don’t seek God’s guidance for the decisions of life, and
(5) Who don’t avail themselves of the spiritual riches that became theirs when they received Jesus Christ as Savior and include the following – a love that can never be fathomed; a life that can never die; a peace that can never be understood; a rest that can never be disturbed; a joy that can never be diminished; a hope that can never be disappointed; a glory that can never be clouded; a happiness that can never be interrupted; a light that can never be extinguished; a strength that can never be overcome; a beauty that can never be marred; a purity that can never be defiled; and, resources that can never be exhausted.
Ephesians 1:3 puts it this way, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:”
The Apostle Paul tells us that nature bears witness to wisdom and power of God the Creator (Acts 14:15-17; Romans 1:20). As a believer in Jesus Christ, I am saddened by people’s inability to see the fingerprint of God everywhere in the world, but more importantly to be a child of the King, having been saved by the blood of the Lamb, and be so foolish not to fully appropriate all that God has made available to us as outlined above. Thus, to deny the existence of God is most foolish indeed. But more importantly to believe in Him and yet fail to enjoy His gracious provisions is also foolish. So, let’s not be a Christian who lives like an atheist, but if the Lord has opened our eyes of understanding so that we believe in Him, we can only humble thank Him for His grace and mercy. Because we have done nothing to merit God’s mercy, we need to keep praying that the almighty Designer will do for unbelieving skeptics what He has done for us: “Open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light” (Acts 26:18).
Talk to God about the lost – then talk to the lost about God.