cure-real
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Luke 23:34, hmm?

Re: Luke 23:34, hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Ceegen View Post
    It's not even close. The feeling you get when you finally "get it" with a question the bible answers, it becomes truly peaceful inside. No drug, no musical score, no amount of money can compare... And I've been drunk and high, holding $80,000 in cash in my hands, while listening to my favorite song all at the same time... And no it wasn't even close to the feeling you get when you know God has turned on a light-bulb for you. It's truly inner peace, nirvana, or whatever you want to call it. Everything God does is awesome. But that poses an interesting question, I have for you: Why do we do drugs? Why are we promiscuous? Why do we seek fortune and fame? Why do we post messages on our page, hoping someone will "like" it? Why do we play video games for hours on end? Watch episode after episode of our favorite TV show? I think all these things really add up to, is that we lack God in our lives. We try to make up for God in our lives by doing things that make us feel good, and always come up short. Nothing can fill that void except God, and I believe that because I used to be always searching for that something that makes me feel whole. We go from addiction to addiction, in the hopes that we can end this hunger, but we can't. So my question for you is, why do you suppose we can have a similar (but always temporary) experience with lots of things, from music to electronics? Why do you think that is? I am genuinely interested in your reply.
    well, I can agree, they are all things we can pour ourselves into, and many become bored with them. But we get the experience because they are interesting and deep and challenging and satisfying things. I dont know why you would say these are temporary, unless you mean that we eventually die. Some people have lifelong love affairs with music, and silicon and astronomy and paint. Perhaps God is what you have this lifelong connection with, this thing that never really lose passion for, but I dont know on what grounds you suggest that its so for everyone...you ever consider that maybe you just aren't that into music or electronics or drugs, alcohol and money? How can you know that my heart doesn't dance like a dervish and match the heights of religious ecstasy when I listen to Serbian klezmer or Ghostface killah. I think your question is asking me to assume that I dont have something that you have, that my connection to the things that bring me joy, that add depth and meaning, that fascinate me are not doing for me what God does for you...and I simply dont know that. To be completely honest I dont believe you are in a 24 hour state of wonder and jubilation, most Christians wouldn't claim that....so I believe that most likely you sometimes just feel normal...sometimes you're just sitting around eating a sandwich and life isn't an ever increasing cacophony of numinous awe, just like me. But sometimes, lets say frequently, you connect with what you believe is God and its amazing beyond words...okay, but I dont have a way to directly compare my feels to yours bro.

I probably cant add anything but since i like your avatars and never get to interact with you and never post here, i'll post something anyways.

I think this verse is probably had in view Deuteronomy 32:35

Vengeance is mine, and recompense.

All sins will be accounted for according to Christian Theism either on the cross or in hell, in practical everyday living the Christian is supposed to leave the knee jerk reaction of revenge to God as He has promised that no matter how small or big the crime against you is, it will be paid back in total perfect justice.

I also wanted to ask you if the apologetic sites i gave you a while ago was any good to you, have you any particular interest such as philosophy or epistemology... ect ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobunaga View Post
    I probably cant add anything but since i like your avatars and never get to interact with you and never post here, i'll post something anyways. I think this verse is probably had in view Deuteronomy 32:35 Vengeance is mine, and recompense. All sins will be accounted for according to Christian Theism either on the cross or in hell, in practical everyday living the Christian is supposed to leave the knee jerk reaction of revenge to God as He has promised that no matter how small or big the crime against you is, it will be paid back in total perfect justice. I also wanted to ask you if the apologetic sites i gave you a while ago was any good to you, have you any particular interest such as philosophy or epistemology... ect ?
    hm, that's a slightly different way to look at it I suppose. Oh yes, I apologize I thought I sent a pm or something thanking you for those, but thank you. Yes I refer to them from time to time. As far as philosophy and epistemology, I cant say that I'm particularly passionate about it, but there is some level of familiarity that I'm required to have in order to understand some of the apologies and things that i like to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarkipling View Post
    hm, that's a slightly different way to look at it I suppose. Oh yes, I apologize I thought I sent a pm or something thanking you for those, but thank you. Yes I refer to them from time to time. As far as philosophy and epistemology, I cant say that I'm particularly passionate about it, but there is some level of familiarity that I'm required to have in order to understand some of the apologies and things that i like to think about.
    Yeah i got the pm just wondered how you got on with them since, no need to apologize for the apologetics link, i apologize for not remembering. If you get stuck with any apologies give me a shout and i'll see if i can find anything on it. Cheerio old chap

Blog Entries

okay, okay, I'll read it you've convinced me.
    I'm just good like that.
    Actually, I'm surprised, because I didn't know if you would or not for sure.
    So now that my wish has come true, I will definitely be back to hear what you have to say about it in regards to how different people have approached you in here. I'll try not to be too impatient. Thank you oscarkipling.
    "knowledge makes arrogant but love edifies"

Blog Entries

well, I can agree, they are all things we can pour ourselves into, and many become bored with them. But we get the experience because they are interesting and deep and challenging and satisfying things. I dont know why you would say these are temporary, unless you mean that we eventually die. Some people have lifelong love affairs with music, and silicon and astronomy and paint. Perhaps God is what you have this lifelong connection with, this thing that never really lose passion for, but I dont know on what grounds you suggest that its so for everyone...you ever consider that maybe you just aren't that into music or electronics or drugs, alcohol and money? How can you know that my heart doesn't dance like a dervish and match the heights of religious ecstasy when I listen to Serbian klezmer or Ghostface killah. I think your question is asking me to assume that I dont have something that you have, that my connection to the things that bring me joy, that add depth and meaning, that fascinate me are not doing for me what God does for you...and I simply dont know that. To be completely honest I dont believe you are in a 24 hour state of wonder and jubilation, most Christians wouldn't claim that....so I believe that most likely you sometimes just feel normal...sometimes you're just sitting around eating a sandwich and life isn't an ever increasing cacophony of numinous awe, just like me. But sometimes, lets say frequently, you connect with what you believe is God and its amazing beyond words...okay, but I dont have a way to directly compare my feels to yours bro.
    Fair enough, but I am not assuming you are personally like what I described. I know everyone is different, and ya know, maybe someone's lifelong passion of music IS a gift from God? It is what I assume God would have done, giving us all different talents and stuff like that. Everyone being the exact same would be boring.
    John 10 (KJV)
    27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
    29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Blog Entries

If you are eating your sandwich and your heart is not dancing like a dervish, may I humbly suggest that you just have not found the right combination yet?
    I propose trying this: horseradish, purple onion, and roast beef.
    If it doesn't work for you, I am afraid you are beyond saving oscarkipling.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by awestruckchild View Post
    If you are eating your sandwich and your heart is not dancing like a dervish, may I humbly suggest that you just have not found the right combination yet?
    You left out jalipenos: they make a yummy difference.
    "You're gonna make a difference when you lay down your life, and in complete submission to God, choose to die with Him in service to other people."
    "Sometimes it concerns me, you know, the number of people that can quote my songs, and-- or they can quote the songs of several different people, but they can't quote the Scriptures."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLFGZ6zpeI
    Rich Mullins

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father

I'm just good like that.
    Actually, I'm surprised, because I didn't know if you would or not for sure.
    So now that my wish has come true, I will definitely be back to hear what you have to say about it in regards to how different people have approached you in here. I'll try not to be too impatient. Thank you oscarkipling.
    well, you know, you made good points, and I've had time enough and I have time now...its time to buckle down an just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceegen View Post
    Fair enough, but I am not assuming you are personally like what I described. I know everyone is different, and ya know, maybe someone's lifelong passion of music IS a gift from God? It is what I assume God would have done, giving us all different talents and stuff like that. Everyone being the exact same would be boring.

well, yeah, maybe there is a God and he's imbued us with different proclivities and passions. however I think my main point was simply that the experience we were speaking of isn't so obviously temporary to me. Its not obvious to me that everyone without a belief in God is walking around unfulfilled and seeking transient stimulation. At least not in any sense that wouldn't also be true for a Christian, or Muslim or whatever. Anyway, maybe it is God that a person loves in music or poetry or whatever, but I dont have any reason to believe it is.

no swiss...no hint of dijon....what of the bread...oh the bread!....see, now I'm hungry!

Blog Entries

Yes!
    Swiss, dijon, homemade bread!
    Throw in a beer!
    NOW we are approaching that ever increasing cacophony of numinous awe!!

Thread Information