cure-real
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sayings Not Found in Scripture

Re: Sayings Not Found in Scripture

Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post
    Compare what you have presented with James 2:10

For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    Kinda hafta go with you on this one Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperaux View Post
    To thine ownself be true
    When prompting people to follow their conscience on matters, the oft-touted "To thine own self be true" is occasionally cited as a Biblical recommendation. In truth, this saying originates in the Shakespearean tragedy Hamlet. Polonius, the older counselor of Prince Hamlet's uncle, King Claudius, is in the midst of dispensing advice to his son Laertes (who was about to leave Denmark and return to France) when he speaks forth the famous line: "This above all things: to thine own self be true" (Hamlet, 3.1.81). Among his platitudes, he also says, "Neither a borrower nor a lender be" (3.1.78) — another saying occasionally mistaken for Scripture.

But really how good is Polonius's advice? Scripturally, we can only trust our conscience to guide us as far as it is being informed by the Spirit of God. Men, of their natural selves, are entirely corrupted; and so, to hold true to themselves would be to choose poorly indeed. Rather, we should seek God in prayer and ask Him to guide us in the paths of righteousness (Psalm 23:3).
    This one brought to mind…

Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

There’s another one.. “Religion is evil.” But we know there’s a good and there’s a bad religion.
    good--Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world. James 1:27
    bad--If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the world, why, as if you were still alive in the world, do you submit to regulations— “Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch” ( referring to things that all perish as they are used)—according to human precepts and teachings? These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion... Colossians 2:20-23

I'm glad you guys have kept this thread going;

I really have recently been remindedfrom the Lord of another namely;
    The Scripture doesn't say: " There is no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus".
    Not;.
    It SAYS :
    "There is no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus WHO WALK NOT ACCORDING TO THE FLESH, but after the Spirit".

I guarantee if you start sinning and walking in the flesh, (even after you are born into Christ), you will experience guilt and condemnation. I have learned from prior experience.
    And the only way to get rid of that guilt is to repent of sin, and get back to living in the Spirit.

Faithful

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Faithful One View Post
    I'm glad you guys have kept this thread going;

I really have recently been remindedfrom the Lord of another namely;
    The Scripture doesn't say: " There is no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus".
    Not;.
    It SAYS :
    "There is no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus WHO WALK NOT ACCORDING TO THE FLESH, but after the Spirit".

I guarantee if you start sinning and walking in the flesh, (even after you are born into Christ), you will experience guilt and condemnation. I have learned from prior experience.
    And the only way to get rid of that guilt is to repent of sin, and get back to living in the Spirit.

Faithful
    Actually Faithful that extra part was added to the KJV. Compare Greek and all other versions

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    Actually Faithful that extra part was added to the KJV. Compare Greek and all other versions
    I dont see it missing in others brother

NIV
    1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you[a] free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh,[b] God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering.[c] And so he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

ASV
    1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus.

2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus made me free from the law of sin and of death.

3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God, sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

4 that the ordinance of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

YLT
    1There is, then, now no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus, who walk not according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit;

2for the law of the Spirit of the life in Christ Jesus did set me free from the law of the sin and of the death;

3for what the law was not able to do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God, His own Son having sent in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, did condemn the sin in the flesh,

4that the righteousness of the law may be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Blog Entries

Not there. Faithful was referring to verse 1.

Blog Entries

Not there. Faithful was referring to verse 1.
    Oh I see, I just thought he had missed out the middle part. I tend to respond in that way myself. Thanks for clarifying what you meant.

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Hi Seeking;
    Concerning the second part of Rom.8:1...
    IF it was left out of the original greek (I don't believe it was, but only from certain versions) and added later, then I'm glad it was added because it was probably the Holy Ghost that added it....because its true. You cannot live in the flesh, ignore your conscience, and expect to live guilt free. Even your conscience will condemn you.

That guilt will not go away simply by asserting repeatedly "I'm not guilty, I'm not guilty, there's no condemnation, there's no condemnation, God doesn't condemn me, God doesn't condmen me" ...as most teaching today would have you believe.

I know from experience that doesn't work; Rather, true humble repentance which acknowledges sin in one's life is necessary to experience true freedom from condemnation.....(EVEN for those who have been "born again"); only then can you acknowledge freedom from condemnation and live and walk "in the Spirit".

PS. If you really think that the original greek doesn't contain the phrase, "who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit" in verse 8:1, then please show me the proof from the orginal greek. My Strong's Concordance contains the greek words from which that phrase was taken.

Furthermore...
    If you really believe that it wasn't in the original then you will also have to eliminate vs 4 which also uses the SAME phrase:
    "that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit".

And then the next verse (vs. 5) would have to be eliminated also since it makes reference to the same 'flesh': ..."for they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh..." ...and concludes: "so they that are IN THE FLESH cannot please God" (vs.8).

So you see from the context you cannot simply remove the first reference about 'not walking after the flesh' without removing ALL the succeeding verses that also make reference to the first mention of 'those in the flesh' ...In effect you must remove almost all of verses 4 thru 8.

Go back and read the entire passage in context and you will see what I'm talking about.

Since Paul continually says in succeeding verses the "righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us WHO WALK NOT AFTER THE FLESH, but after the Spirit" (vs.4, 5, 6, 7, & 8)), do you REALLY think the same phrase was "left out" in vs. 1 ??
    NOT.

No, it is clear from the full context that the phrase "(those)..who walk not after the flesh" (vs.1) was actually contained in the orginal, and merely left out by the translators of some versions. In fact, I fully suspect that some folks prefer those 'watered down' versions specifically because it gives them license to "leave out" the important parts of the verse in a vain attempt to quell their "guilty" conscience.

Faithful

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indueseason View Post
    Oh I see, I just thought he had missed out the middle part. I tend to respond in that way myself. Thanks for clarifying what you meant.

blessings to you
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithful One View Post
    No, it is clear from the full context that the phrase "(those)..who walk not after the flesh" (vs.1) was actually contained in the orginal, and merely left out by the translators of some versions. In fact, I fully suspect that some folks prefer those 'watered down' versions specifically because it gives them license to "leave out" the important parts of the verse in a vain attempt to quell their "guilty" conscience.Faithful
    ...........BTW; here's the Greek interlinear for all to compare:http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineI...reek_Index.htm..,...click on Romans 8......Clearly both the context and original Greek include the phrase "(those) who walk not after the flesh", and clearly leaving it out is an error and implies one can walk in the flesh without condemnation...........Faithful
    Last edited by Faithful One; Jan 13th 2012 at 06:53 PM.

Once saved, always saved
    Is not a term I use but it's accurate. And the Gospel is simple the Bible can be very complicated but The Gospel is simple. I believe firmly that Salvation can't be lost. And I"m not like maybe 50% of people who say that but simply a Saved person can't sin, or can't commit a Sin major enough.

I believe there many kinds of possible ratifications when a saved person Sins, but Salvation is not revocable.

Actually it's the "Perseverance of the Saints" I consider the more misused term. See where in my view both Calvinists and Arminians are wrong is they think only those who Persevere got o heaven. Arminians think if you don't persevere you loose salvation, Calvanist that if you don't where weren't really saved to begin with.

But actually "Persevering to the end' is one of the Reward we can earn, I don't believe all people in Heaven will have win any rewards at all.

All the Saved will go to Heaven, but not all will Inherit it.

Scripture does not Require Repentance for Salvation, quite the Opposite, Repentance can't truly happen till after Salvation is achieved.

Care to post the scripture that you feel backs that statement up?
    Just as I am, without one plea, but that thy blood
    was shed for me, and that thou bidst me come to thee,
    Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Quote Originally Posted by Indueseason View Post
    I dont see it missing in others brother

NIV
    1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you[a] free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh,[b] God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering.[c] And so he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

ASV
    1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus.

2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus made me free from the law of sin and of death.

3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God, sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

4 that the ordinance of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

YLT
    1There is, then, now no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus, who walk not according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit;

2for the law of the Spirit of the life in Christ Jesus did set me free from the law of the sin and of the death;

3for what the law was not able to do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God, His own Son having sent in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, did condemn the sin in the flesh,

4that the righteousness of the law may be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

blessings to you
    And Romans answers that a little later...

Rom 8:9

9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you.
    NASU
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

"This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.....

...... If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit".
    (Galatians 5)

Last edited by Faithful One; Jan 18th 2012 at 01:46 AM.

Thread Information