cure-real
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A version of the Bible, what do you think?

Blog Entries

A version of the Bible, what do you think?

I am not sure this is the right section to put this question but the moderators will move it if it's not First I am very glad to be back in touch on this forum. Many things have happened to me but the best thing? I have grown so much closer to the Lord and been much, more active in my walk with Him.

I was in a daily devotion for the last 4 months and the "leader" was reading out of "The Message" version of the bible. I found myself getting upset on occasion because I have been reading NKJV for years. I don't know if the Lord spoke to me or if it is just me but I feel The Message might be an alright version. I read about the man that took the original Greek and wrote the words in "modern" day terms. I think it might be a wonderful thing. I know this could turn into a heated discussion, LOL But I am open to anyone's input.

One of the verses in the bible that comes to my mind is this one:

I Corinthians 2:14-16): 14) “But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15) But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 16) For “who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.”

Maybe people trying to make the bible more understandable are wrong in that the Holy Spirit is to teach us.

What do you think? your sister in Christ, denise

Re: A version of the Bible, what do you think?

Can God use man to help man understand God's Word? Can the word be spread around in over 2000 languages that way?

Scripture has asked how a person can unddertand God's teaching unless he hears the Word. That was back with written documents were much more rare than they are today, but still - even with bible in hand - we need teachers. Teachers make The Word more understandable. They explain the scriptures by "translating them into phrases and sentences that we can understand."

A bible version which is faithful to our known manuscripts does the same thing that a teacher does, but allows us to study the Word at home when a teacher is not around.

While I don't care for The Message, it might be alright. I just don't know.

Blog Entries

I appreciate your feedback Boo. Will you tell me why you don't care for The Message? Maybe you would recommend another version to me? I wonder why so many people I've met seem to think that the KJV is the "only" properly translated version. What you say makes perfect sense, about it being translated in other languages etc. I need to study more about these versions. I just read my NKJV but I do feel I am not understanding so much of it no matter how much I pray and ask the Holy Spirit to teach me. I am getting into more difficult areas though and maybe that's why. Thank you again, denise, your sister in Christ

You should use the version that allows you to understand Gods word better and builds you faith. I'm sure that is what the translators had in mind when they made their translations of the bible. Different translations suit people differently, I use more than one translation, so I can understand the word better. The Holy spirit can teach and reveal things no matter what translation is used.

Blog Entries

I believe that also mainly because there are bibles being distributed around the world and I don't know what some churches are able to send(people donate bibles etc.)but God wants people to know Him so yes, He can and will use any bible that is Truth, though in another language(which I think a translation can be considered in another language, or paraphrasing maybe?) I think what I would most like to own is a bible that has several translations in it. I'll see what I can find God bless, your sister in Christ, Denise

Well...personally I will only use KJV but only because I know for sure what text and manuscript it was translated from, it is really important to me that I can trust what I'm reading. I'm not a KJV only person. I don't know about that version, but I would look into it further that way instead of feel like it's an alright version, you can know that it is. That's not something I would want to be in doubt about IMO. Good luck!

Blog Entries

Hi Denise,

Every year I read the entire Bible every year (the New Testament twice per year). Often I try to read a version I've never read before. In 2009 I read The Message. So I've read the entire thing in context.

Bottom line --- I like it. Do I think every verse is good? No. But I don't think every verse is good in any translation. Do I recommend it as one's primary Bible? No, I don't. Use it. But keep reading the NKJV or some other more formal translation.

Here's a link to four blog posts I wrote about it as I read through it.

I wanted to comment about your quote from Corinthians . . .

Keep in mind how often the unregenerate understood God in the Bible. It happened a lot. The Pharisees understood Jesus better than the apostles. They got offended because they understood exactly what he said. They understood he was saying he would rise from the dead. The apostles did not. And on and on it goes like that. So whatever 1st Corinthians is saying, it cannot be saying that its wrong to make God's teaching more understandable. Was the Holy Spirit the Pharisees teacher? I don't think so. Yet they understood Jesus more than Jesus' own followers during his earthly ministry.
    In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - unknown

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

Blog Entries

Oh thank you so much!! I appreciate all your input and I will keep reading my NKJV but probably, just keep The Message around if there is something I am really stuck on I never heard Jon Courson preach in person but I do love the way Calvary Chapel pastors are taught to teach. I have heard more amazing things(learned them)from CC pastors than any others that I can recall.

Thank you again, denise, a sister in Christ
    PS I will check out the 4 posts as well

Blog Entries

Hey, I loved your blog and I loved the way you wrote about The Message. You really made some awesome discoveries and points! I wish you were around to help me with my writing class at college, LOL!! I so wish all I had were classes about the bible. That's all I really want to do is read and
    learn more about Him and what He wants to do with me God bless and can't thank you enough, denise, ysic

Blog Entries

Glad the posts helped.
    In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - unknown

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

Blog Entries

The site "A Voice in the Wilderness" has helped me more than any other in recognizing the New Age spin of The Message:

http://a-voice.org/discern/message.htm
    http://a-voice.org/discern/message1.htmI

The comparisons to the KJV or VW-edition made it obvious to me that The Message far too often downplays Christ's divinity and our sin. I don't think it's fair to be harsh on those who like some of The Message's interpretation. It does often come across as fresh and accessible. But I don't like having to second-guess everything I read, checking it against a more trustworthy version such as the KJV, VW-edition, or NKJV. My mother, who loves paraphrases, won't even read The Message anymore for this reason.
    Last edited by little watchman; Nov 18th 2011 at 04:03 AM. Reason: formatting didn't work

Quote Originally Posted by Oregongrown View Post
    I appreciate your feedback Boo. Will you tell me why you don't care for The Message? Maybe you would recommend another version to me? I wonder why so many people I've met seem to think that the KJV is the "only" properly translated version. What you say makes perfect sense, about it being translated in other languages etc. I need to study more about these versions. I just read my NKJV but I do feel I am not understanding so much of it no matter how much I pray and ask the Holy Spirit to teach me. I am getting into more difficult areas though and maybe that's why. Thank you again, denise, your sister in Christ
    My sister, I am so happy to hear that you have not bought into the KJV-only camp. That puts you way ahead of where you would have been had you spent a great deal of time trying to understand God's truths using the KJV.

Some of the most poorly read Christian brothers and sisters I know have spend their time with KJV bibles - and they won't bother trying to read and understand them. It is too difficult. Since they heard early in their walk that the KJV was the only good transation, they have stalled their growth accordingly.

I have spend time overseas in other countries and have met some very nice Christians from other countries. They have their bibles translated from the NIV, mostly, and they understand God's Word very well using that method.

Personally, I refer to the ESV, NASB, and YLT. While I have other translations, most of my studies come from those three.

Blog Entries

Hmmm, well, I will just have to read it myself. Your input comes across very well also and I will pray and ask God's lead in researching it Thank you so much and have a blessed day, denise, your sister in Christ

Quote Originally Posted by Oregongrown View Post
    I am not sure this is the right section to put this question but the moderators will move it if it's not First I am very glad to be back in touch on this forum. Many things have happened to me but the best thing? I have grown so much closer to the Lord and been much, more active in my walk with Him.

I was in a daily devotion for the last 4 months and the "leader" was reading out of "The Message" version of the bible. I found myself getting upset on occasion because I have been reading NKJV for years. I don't know if the Lord spoke to me or if it is just me but I feel The Message might be an alright version. I read about the man that took the original Greek and wrote the words in "modern" day terms. I think it might be a wonderful thing. I know this could turn into a heated discussion, LOL But I am open to anyone's input.

One of the verses in the bible that comes to my mind is this one:

I Corinthians 2:14-16): 14) “But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15) But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 16) For “who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.”

Maybe people trying to make the bible more understandable are wrong in that the Holy Spirit is to teach us.

What do you think? your sister in Christ, denise
    I like and use the NKJV. I also like the KJV, but the real truth comes from hitting your knees and letting the Holy Spirit teach you...

Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

There is a big difference between and translation from the original language and a para-phrase like the Message. Some of it can seem excellent, but read what purports to be the Lord's Prayer - which includes the phrase "as above so below". Put this phrase in Google - the sites listed will all be unashamedly witchcraft sites that say that particular phrase is 'powerful magik'. Then ask yourself why a Christian would instert that phrase un necessarily into the Lord's Prayer - and, I suggest, do not let what may seem harmless deceive you.

Thread Information