cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does the term "second death" mean?

What does the term "second death" mean?

The term "second death" is used only four times in scripture. What specifically does the term mean?

rev 2:11
    He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the
    second death.

Rev 20:6
    Blessed and holy [is] he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the
    second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

rev 20:14
    And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the
    second death.

rev 21:8
    But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the
    second death.

Blog Entries

Re: What does the term "second death" mean?

It seems that Rev 20:14 and 21:8 are defining it? The lake of fire and being cast into it?

Quote Originally Posted by quiet dove View Post
    It seems that Rev 20:14 and 21:8 are defining it? The lake of fire and being cast into it?
    Rev 20:14 says death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. It would not make sense to say death and hell were cast into the "second death". Therefore, it doesn't seem to fit to say the "second death" can be defined as the "lake of fire".

For John to contrast 'death' with 'the second death' implies that the first 'death' is just that: 'the first death'.

He is effectively saying that the possibility of death (i.e. mortality) for the righteous will be destroyed, symbolically depicted as the personified Death and Hades themselves suffering deaths of their own.

For 'Death and Hades' to 'die' simply means that the righteous will be made deathless.

In my most simpliest terms I would say that the second death is relating to the death of the soul and body. This would be in reference to the out pouring of God's wrath on the children of disobedience. Which of course mentioned by Jesus in Matthew 10:28.

Quote Originally Posted by markedward View Post
    For John to contrast 'death' with 'the second death' implies that the first 'death' is just that: 'the first death'.

He is effectively saying that the possibility of death (i.e. mortality) for the righteous will be destroyed, symbolically depicted as the personified Death and Hades themselves suffering deaths of their own.

For 'Death and Hades' to 'die' simply means that the righteous will be made deathless.
    I have heard this interpretation before, yet this interpretation makes the second death out to be a really good thing. How does that fit with the verses that say "the second death shall not hurt them" or the "second death has no power over them"?

Quote Originally Posted by rom826
    I have heard this interpretation before, yet this interpretation makes the second death out to be a really good thing.
    The 'second death' is God's holy and righteous judgment. So yes, it is, from one perspective, 'a really good thing', because it removes that which is wrong with creation (death, sin, and the sinful). It is only 'bad' for those who happen to put themselves in position to receive that condemnation, which is why Jesus warns his followers to remain faithful so that they don't suffer condemnation.

Second death = justice = good for the righteous
    Second death = punishment = bad for the wicked

It's not one or the other. It's both.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rom826 View Post
    Rev 20:14 says death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. It would not make sense to say death and hell were cast into the "second death". Therefore, it doesn't seem to fit to say the "second death" can be defined as the "lake of fire".
    I see what you are saying, but I think the point is that the lake of fire is the second death. If men are created immortal, in terms of their soul/spirit, then technically it does not die, so second death may need to be understood also from a spiritual perspective. In other words, we are spiritually separated, dead...from our Creator. Through Christ Jesus we are born again, alive, spiritually. Those who refuse/reject Jesus Christ as their personal savior, will indeed not only remain in the dead spiritual condition that they were in during this mortal life, but also will face the 'second death', of eternal separation, death, from their Creator.

And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Rev 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
    Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
    Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
    Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
    Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

And to find out what this actually means we have to back up to here:

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

"hell" here is Gehenna which represents the "lake of fire" and the destruction of the wicked and unrighteous.

G1067
    γέεννα
    geenna
    Thayer Definition:
    1) Hell is the place of the future punishment call “Gehenna” or “Gehenna of fire”. This was originally the valley of Hinnom, south of Jerusalem, where the filth and dead animals of the city were cast out and burned; a fit symbol of the wicked and their future destruction.
    Part of Speech: noun feminine
    A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: of Hebrew origin H1516 and H2011
    Citing in TDNT: 1:657, 113

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

" kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul" is speaking of the first death, death of the human body. This is when the human body dies, but the soul (and spirit) live on.

"destroy both soul and body in hell" is referring to the second death, death of the soul (and spirit). This can only be accomplished by God and when it occurs is when someone is cast into the "lake of fire" which destroys any physical body as well as the intangible living aspect of each being, their soul and spirit. After the second death, there is nothing left to die. Nothing lives on after the second death which truly is the "last and permanent death".

Quote Originally Posted by rom826 View Post
    The term "second death" is used only four times in scripture. What specifically does the term mean?

rev 2:11
    He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the
    second death.

Rev 20:6
    Blessed and holy [is] he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the
    second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the
    second death.

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the
    second death.

Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    Rev 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
    Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
    Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
    Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
    Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

And to find out what this actually means we have to back up to here:

"hell" here is Gehenna which represents the "lake of fire" and the destruction of the wicked and unrighteous.

G1067
    γέεννα
    geenna
    Thayer Definition:
    1) Hell is the place of the future punishment call “Gehenna” or “Gehenna of fire”. This was originally the valley of Hinnom, south of Jerusalem, where the filth and dead animals of the city were cast out and burned; a fit symbol of the wicked and their future destruction.
    Part of Speech: noun feminine
    A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: of Hebrew origin H1516 and H2011
    Citing in TDNT: 1:657, 113

" kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul" is speaking of the first death, death of the human body. This is when the human body dies, but the soul (and spirit) live on.

"destroy both soul and body in hell" is referring to the second death, death of the soul (and spirit). This can only be accomplished by God and when it occurs is when someone is cast into the "lake of fire" which destroys any physical body as well as the intangible living aspect of each being, their soul and spirit. After the second death, there is nothing left to die. Nothing lives on after the second death which truly is the "last and permanent death".
    I was thinking of this same analogy as to the meaning of "the second death". I wondered how hell though was the same as the lake of fire. Thanks for information! Something else bugs me. Why did Daniel hear the little horn at the time the books were opened in Daniel 7? Isn't he supposed to have by that time been cast into the lake of fire?
    ||||
    Daniel 7:10
    ...the judgment was set, and the books were opened.
    v11
    I beheld then because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake...

||||So even though he had been cast alive into the lake of fire, he had not experienced the second death yet? Was he mouthing off while in the lake?

Quote Originally Posted by vinsight4u8 View Post
    I wondered how hell though was the same as the lake of fire.
    "hell" can be many different things:

There are three Greek words translated "hell":

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

1067 geenna {gheh'-en-nah}

of Hebrew origin 01516 and 02011; TDNT - 1:657,113; n f

AV - hell 9, hell fire + 3588 + 4442 3; 12

1) Hell is the place of the future punishment call "Gehenna" or
    "Gehenna of fire". This was originally the valley of Hinnom,
    south of Jerusalem, where the filth and dead animals of the
    city were cast out and burned; a fit symbol of the wicked and
    their future destruction.

This word is the type of hell that is the final punishment, known as the lake of fire in Revelation.

Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

86 hades {hah'-dace}

from 1 (as negative particle) and 1492; TDNT - 1:146,22; n pr loc

AV - hell 10, grave 1; 11

1) name Hades or Pluto, the god of the lower regions
    2) Orcus, the nether world, the realm of the dead
    3) later use of this word: the grave, death, hell

In Biblical Greek it is associated with Orcus, the infernal regions,
    a dark and dismal place in the very depths of the earth, the common
    receptacle of disembodied spirits. Usually Hades is just the abode of
    the wicked, Lu. 16:23, Rev. 20:13,14; a very uncomfortable place. TDNT.

This is not the same hell, but is where the dead are who lived bad lives. Its known as purgatory, death and the grave.

This hell is what is cast into and destroyed by the other "Hell" ie: the lake of fire:

Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

2 Peter 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

5020 tartaroo {tar-tar-o'-o}

from Tartaros (the deepest abyss of Hades);; v

AV - cast down to hell 1; 1

1) the name of the subterranean region, doleful and dark, regarded by
    the ancient Greeks as the abode of the wicked dead, where they suffer
    punishment for their evil deeds; it answers to Gehenna of the Jews
    2) to thrust down to Tartarus, to hold captive in Tartarus

This is the third word and is a holding place for very evil souls. It is also known as the pit in Revelation where satan is held for 1000 years.

Thanks for information! Something else bugs me. Why did Daniel hear the little horn at the time the books were opened in Daniel 7? Isn't he supposed to have by that time been cast into the lake of fire?
    ||||
    Daniel 7:10
    ...the judgment was set, and the books were opened.
    v11
    I beheld then because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake...

||||So even though he had been cast alive into the lake of fire, he had not experienced the second death yet? Was he mouthing off while in the lake?

Dan 7:10 A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened.
    Dan 7:11 I beheld then because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake: I beheld even till the beast was slain, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame.

Daniel hears the horn speak up until the horn is destroyed. Some go to their death loudly I guess.

Hi ewg1938,

An interesting read, thanks. I'm going to look more at what you wrote. Do you know what Tophet in Isaiah 30:33 means? I just saved your posts from before on my computer. I want to study them later.

Quote Originally Posted by vinsight4u8 View Post
    Hi ewg1938,

An interesting read, thanks. I'm going to look more at what you wrote. Do you know what Tophet in Isaiah 30:33 means?
    It's a special place for cremation...the burning of a dead body.

I just saved your posts from before on my computer. I want to study them later.
    Cool, well if you have more questions feel free to ask.

This may seem a little tardy, however, I just joined and find this very interesting. If you don't mind, I would like to reply as well; naturally, according to my understanding: When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison and will go out to deceive the Nations in the four corners of the Earth—Gog and Magog—to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the Seashore. They marched across the breadth of the Earth and surrounded the camp of God’s people, the City He loves. But fire came down from Heaven and devoured them. The devil, that deceived them, was thrown into the Lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever. I [John] saw the dead, great and small, standing before the Throne, and Books were opened. Another Book was opened, which is the Book of Life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the Books. The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the Lake of Fire. The lake of fire is the second death. If anyone’s name was not found written in the Book of Life, he was thrown into the Lake of Fire. “Behold, I Am coming soon! And My reward is with Me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.” Vengeance of War, Catherine Myrick, 2011. I believe this sequence has relevant power because there will be 'flesh' in the millenium; the spirit of anti-Christ will be ruling; Jesus Christ then comes to set up His Earthly Kingdom Rule; and so to me the Earth will finally become a 'home of righteousness.'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltyfun View Post
    the spirit of anti-Christ will be ruling; ... and so to me the Earth will finally become a 'home of righteousness.'
    If the 'spirit of anti-christ' (not sure what that is supposed to mean, actually) is ruling, how would the Earth become a home of righteousness?

Thread Information