cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early and latter rain

Early and latter rain

The early rain came when the grain was sown.
    The latter rain came just prior to harvest time.

James 5
    Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. The farmer waits for the precious produce of the soil, being patient about it, until it gets the early and late rains.
    8 You too be patient; strengthen your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is near.
    9 Do not complain, brethren, against one another, so that you yourselves may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing right at the door

At the time of the early rain the Lord came to sow the Gospel of salvation.
    At the time of the latter rain the Lord comes to judge.

Matt 3
    But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he said to them, "You brood of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

8 "Therefore bear fruit in keeping with repentance;
    9 and do not suppose that you can say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham for our father'; for I say to you that from these stones God is able to raise up children to Abraham.
    10 "The axe is already laid at the root of the trees; therefore every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

11 "As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

12 "His winnowing fork is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clear His threshing floor; and He will gather His wheat into the barn, but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."

Matt 13
    "The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man
    38 and the field is the world; and as for the good seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; and the tares are the sons of the evil one;
    39 and the enemy who sowed them is the devil, and the harvest is the end of the age; and the reapers are angels.
    40 "So just as the tares are gathered up and burned with fire, so shall it be at the end of the age.
    41 "The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness,
    42 and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
    "Then THE RIGHTEOUS WILL SHINE FORTH AS THE SUN in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear.

Hos 6
    "So let us know, let us press on to know the LORD.
    His going forth is as certain as the dawn;
    And He will come to us like the rain,
    Like the spring rain watering the earth."

Hos 10
    Sow with a view to righteousness,
    Reap in accordance with kindness; Break up your fallow ground,
    For it is time to seek the LORD
    Until He comes to rain righteousness on you.

2Tim 4
    7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith;
    in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.

God bless all.

Blog Entries

Re: Early and latter rain

I am not disagreeing with you, just presenting what I have heard others say. Many believe the latter rain can be used to support a revival, or a pouring out of the Spirit, or ideas along those lines. So really what I have is a questions...you have linked the latter rain to judgment...I would be interested to hear your thoughts on why the "revival" type linking is not the direction to go in regarding the latter rain.

Or are you saying that the latter rain is the timing of the judgment but the latter rain itself is not judgement....ok, now I am confusing myself...LOL

Lol quiet dove
    , im not sure to be honest. Reading James yesterday got me thinking, and led me to those other verses.
    Just thinking out loud,

It seems that James is saying that after the latter rain will be judgment at the coming of the Lord.
    After the latter rain will be the harvest and his winnowing fork is already in his hand....the judge is standing at the door.
    Between the early and latter rain we are to bear fruit in keeping with repentance, as the axe is already laid at the root of the trees. Around the time of the latter rain (harvest), any tree that doesnt produce good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

So between the first coming and the second coming (age of repentance), is the time to produce good fruit.The early rain is associated with the seed sown by the Son of man, and the latter rain to the harvest at the end of the growing season....his coming at the end of the age as judge to gather the wheat into his barn.

But then again the latter rain may have started at pentecost,as the Holy Spirit rains down on those who are repentant, nourishing , inspiring and producing good works in us right up until havest time when he comes to gather us into his barn and to remove out of his kingdom all that is rotton and offensive.

Blog Entries

Thanks, that all gives me something to ponder regarding "latter rain".

The OT probably sheds light on it but to be honest I have not really studied it.

It would be my opinion that the spirit of God was poured out moderately in the old testament as the former rain. As Peter announced that the latter rains had being poured out as Joel prophesied on the day of penetcost showing that it was the last days.

Blog Entries

The latter rain is the pouring out of the spirit at Christ's return in the last days, this latter rain brings forth the remnant of Israel while the former the church .......note this latter pouring out is linked with the sun, moon into blood and the day of the Lord. The former of course at Pentecost. Joel's account was at the time of Christ's return, Acts speaks of this pouring out of the Spirit as a reference not that it was the same time but same Spirit.

Ac 2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
    Ac 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
    Ac 2:18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
    Ac 2:19 And I will show wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:
    Ac 2:20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:

Joe 2:28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
    Joe 2:29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.
    Joe 2:30 And I will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.
    Joe 2:31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come.

Jas 5:7 Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ross3421 View Post
    The latter rain is the pouring out of the spirit at Christ's return in the last days, this latter rain brings forth the remnant of Israel while the former the church .......note this latter pouring out is linked with the sun, moon into blood and the day of the Lord. The former of course at Pentecost. Joel's account was at the time of Christ's return, Acts speaks of this pouring out of the Spirit as a reference not that it was the same time but same Spirit.

Ac 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
    Ac 2:18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
    Ac 2:19 And I will show wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:
    Ac 2:20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:

Joe 2:28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
    Joe 2:29 And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.
    Joe 2:30 And I will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.
    Joe 2:31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of the LORD come.

Jas 5:7 Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.
    YOu know, you and I disagree on a lot, but I think you may just have hit the nail on the head here. It is a good post and definitely some food for thought

Before the end God will pour out His Spirit literally on all flesh. (This is the only international simultaneous revival) There will be a last revival before the day of the Lord. The book of Joel covers this...

Joe 2:30 And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.
    Joe 2:32 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.

Amen! I just noticed that we had posted the same verses!!!

Joe 2:23 Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God: for he hath given you the former rain moderately, and he will cause to come down for you the rain, the former rain, and the latter rain in the first month.

The Spirit of God was upon the prophets of Old which is the Former rain that is moderately. Peter announced that the Latter rains was given by the out pouring upon all nations on the day of pentecost. That is why you don't agree with scripture.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckrl View Post
    It would be my opinion that the spirit of God was poured out moderately in the old testament as the former rain. As Peter announced that the latter rains had being poured out as Joel prophesied on the day of penetcost showing that it was the last days.
    Hi Beck
    I dont think the Spirit was poured out in the OT.

Jn 7
    "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.' "
    39 But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

Hi ross and episkopos

For the Spirit to be poured out on everyone, there must be a worldwide repentance, and therefore one mighty revival. Not sure if thats ever going to happen. When the son of mans comes will he find faith on the earth?
    Not all people are going to repent and i dont think God is going to give his Holy Spirit to just anyone.

God began by giving his Holy Spirit to the believing remnant of Israel, and then poured out his Spirit on all Gentiles who repented.As with any revival, the same Gospel must be believed, in order to recieve the Holy Spirit.

"For these men are not drunk, as you suppose, for it is only the third hour of the day;
    16 but this is what was spoken of through the prophet Joel:

17 'AND IT SHALL BE IN THE LAST DAYS,' God says,
    'THAT I WILL POUR FORTH OF MY SPIRIT ON ALL MANKIND;
    Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
    39 "For the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call to Himself."

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
    Joe 2:23 Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God: for he hath given you the former rain moderately, and he will cause to come down for you the rain, the former rain, and the latter rain in the first month.
    I'm reading this and it seems there are a lot of valid points everyone is making on both ends of the spectrum. But now I am looking at your post epi and questioning just when the early and latter rain is/was. Maybe the early rain, really was the OT, because look at this verse, it says that He will give the LATTER RAIN....in the FIRST MONTH. There was a discussion in the controversial forums here, about the months and the timing of Christ's first coming. Christ's first coming and all that He accomplished was in the spring, that's when the first month according to the Jewish calender appears. OUr first month is in the winter so that first month is meaningless if we think in our calender terms. But when we consider that the Holy Spirit was poured out during Pentecost, which was during the Spring, the first coming of Christ, maybe that was the latter rain, and so His Spirit was poured out then and though I believe there will be one last great awakening before His return, I wonder if that latter rain has been going on now for 2000 years.

Just some thoughts and wanted to share to see what you all make of it.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Saved7 View Post
    I'm reading this and it seems there are a lot of valid points everyone is making on both ends of the spectrum. But now I am looking at your post epi and questioning just when the early and latter rain is/was. Maybe the early rain, really was the OT, because look at this verse, it says that He will give the LATTER RAIN....in the FIRST MONTH. There was a discussion in the controversial forums here, about the months and the timing of Christ's first coming. Christ's first coming and all that He accomplished was in the spring, that's when the first month according to the Jewish calender appears. OUr first month is in the winter so that first month is meaningless if we think in our calender terms. But when we consider that the Holy Spirit was poured out during Pentecost, which was during the Spring, the first coming of Christ, maybe that was the latter rain, and so His Spirit was poured out then and though I believe there will be one last great awakening before His return, I wonder if that latter rain has been going on now for 2000 years.

Just some thoughts and wanted to share to see what you all make of it.
    Actually the first month is Nissan and the 14th day is the Passover. Pentecost is seven weeks later in the 3rd month. The last days are upon us now at this time...not 2,000 years ago! So Pentecost was the early outpouring of the Spirit on all men...progressively of course. The latter rain will be on all mankind at the same time. Only recently could we confirm this with the advent of the internet.

Thread Information