cure-real
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48

Thread: Why Four Gospels?"

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    6,142
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why Four Gospels?"

    Thanks Kahtar ,I didn't find the Genesis commentary but I found "Why four Gospels" and will check it out,

    repped you but I can't rep Sojourner55 again right now.

    Brother Mark is also a refreshing brother.

    on a side note:
    ""May the Lamb that was slain receive the just reward for His sufferings." A quote by Moravian missionary that sold himself (along with a friend) into slavery to reach those that the slave owner prevented from hearing the gospel. "

    May the Lord give us all such a heart as that Moravian brother!

    Peace

    Gen 15:1 After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying,Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.




  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Farmington, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    2,215

    Re: Why Four Gospels?"


  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    12,360

    Re: Why Four Gospels?"

    SW, if or when you start out with the Genesis book, I recommend jumping to Noah and the flood right off the bat. That one really stuck out to me big time! I was utterly amazed at all that was in there about Jesus.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Farmington, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    2,215

    Re: Why Four Gospels?"

    Another excellent work on Genesis (not exactly the subject of the OP, sorry) is Andrew Jukes:
    He takes Genesis in a whole different direction, but one that speaks deeply to the spiritual nature within the book, and our own lives.
    The problem with this one is it gets sooooo deep it's not always easy to follow. It takes re-reading, thinking and praying to even begin to grasp some of it.
    But if you're going to study Genesis, these two books will take you farther than you've ever been, and open up the scriptures in ways you never dreamed were there.
    http://www.alampthatburns.net/jukes/...n-contents.htm
    He does have a book on the 4 gospels as well, though I have not read it. I think I will.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    747

    Re: Why Four Gospels?"

    Haha! Your opening statement was exactly what i was looking for in regards to another thread! Hooray! Kingdom of Heaven in Matthew (jewish messiah) And kingdom of God in mark and luke (gentile audience).

    Thank you! Thank you!

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    747

    Re: Why Four Gospels?"

    This also isn't on subject but is just a question that often haunts me. Isn't it strange that these great writers almost always seem to fall off in the end. I am think of A.W.Pink who was dispensational and then turned to Covenant Theology. And Andrew Jukes who eventually wrote a book about Universal Salvationism. And I believe Billy Graham has gone down the same path.

    It sure makes me question a lot.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Under the Blood of the Lamb
    Posts
    4,465
    Blog Entries
    18

    Re: Why Four Gospels?"

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    This also isn't on subject but is just a question that often haunts me. Isn't it strange that these great writers almost always seem to fall off in the end. I am think of A.W.Pink who was dispensational and then turned to Covenant Theology. And Andrew Jukes who eventually wrote a book about Universal Salvationism. And I believe Billy Graham has gone down the same path.

    It sure makes me question a lot.
    Hello Jesse,
    While I'm not sure about the others, I do know that Pink changed his views about Dispensationalism. Personal perspectives change sometimes, as one delves deeper into the Word, and gains a fuller understanding. Whether or not we agree with those changes, does not alter revealed truths, or diminish contributions made by those whose lifetime of study have added to our knowledge.

    When we stand before the Judgment Seat, we will have retained only two things from our earthly life: what God gave us, and what we did with what He gave us.

  8. #23

    Re: Why Four Gospels?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner55 View Post
    Hello Jesse,
    While I'm not sure about the others, I do know that Pink changed his views about Dispensationalism. Personal perspectives change sometimes, as one delves deeper into the Word, and gains a fuller understanding. Whether or not we agree with those changes, does not alter revealed truths, or diminish contributions made by those whose lifetime of study have added to our knowledge.
    You are right, however it should cause us to maybe go back and examine them a little deeper to make sure we weren't deceived possibly. Obviously this would be something the Holy Spirit would convict us of but above that, if we were deceived then we should make a rule that if that were to occur we would go back and examine even if we feel confident that He's not convicting, because if we are deceived we may think we are fine because we don't feel convicted. Whew! That was a mouthful.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Under the Blood of the Lamb
    Posts
    4,465
    Blog Entries
    18

    Re: Why Four Gospels?"

    Quote Originally Posted by ClayInHisHands View Post
    You are right, however it should cause us to maybe go back and examine them a little deeper to make sure we weren't deceived possibly. Obviously this would be something the Holy Spirit would convict us of but above that, if we were deceived then we should make a rule that if that were to occur we would go back and examine even if we feel confident that He's not convicting, because if we are deceived we may think we are fine because we don't feel convicted.
    I learned a long time ago that there are two aspects of Biblical interpretation:

    1). what God says
    2). What man says God says.

    Sometimes they are the same, and sometimes they are not. Obviously one should become firmly grounded in sound Bible doctrine, guided into truth by the Holy Spirit, before venturing off into the world of extra-Biblical writings. That original grounding should only come from a Spirit-filled preacher or teacher, and many do not take care at that point early in their walk. But I am persuaded that God will not allow any person to stray from the truth if he or she is asking Him for proper guidance. If more people did that, fewer would fall prey to spiritual predators like Jim Jones and David Koresh.

    When we stand before the Judgment Seat, we will have retained only two things from our earthly life: what God gave us, and what we did with what He gave us.

  10. #25

    Re: Why Four Gospels?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner55 View Post
    I learned a long time ago that there are two aspects of Biblical interpretation:

    1). what God says
    2). What man says God says.

    Sometimes they are the same, and sometimes they are not. Obviously one should become firmly grounded in sound Bible doctrine, guided into truth by the Holy Spirit, before venturing off into the world of extra-Biblical writings. That original grounding should only come from a Spirit-filled preacher or teacher, and many do not take care at that point early in their walk. But I am persuaded that God will not allow any person to stray from the truth if he or she is asking Him for proper guidance. If more people did that, fewer would fall prey to spiritual predators like Jim Jones and David Koresh.

    Not to go off on something entirely different, but would you agree or what you said, am I safe to assume you were insinuating that if one were God's child, that he or she would never REALLY TRULY BE DECEIVED because if he or she is deceived, then they may not even in fact be or have ever been God's to begin with? Not baiting you, I think this to probably be the truth, so I only ask you is all.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Under the Blood of the Lamb
    Posts
    4,465
    Blog Entries
    18

    Re: Why Four Gospels?"

    Quote Originally Posted by ClayInHisHands View Post
    Not to go off on something entirely different, but would you agree or what you said, am I safe to assume you were insinuating that if one were God's child, that he or she would never REALLY TRULY BE DECEIVED because if he or she is deceived, then they may not even in fact be or have ever been God's to begin with? Not baiting you, I think this to probably be the truth, so I only ask you is all.
    Wow, that's a long sentence. But no, I'm not saying that at all., and I'm not even sure how you read it that way. What I said was, God will answer a person's petition to show them the truth. Jesus said that the Spirit of truth would lead us into all truth. Many are deceived today, only because they trust the wrong people--whether it be pagan religion, or a Christian cult. I take it you agree that God will not ignore a new believer who seeks His truth, right?

    When we stand before the Judgment Seat, we will have retained only two things from our earthly life: what God gave us, and what we did with what He gave us.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    12,360

    Re: Why Four Gospels?"

    Quote Originally Posted by ClayInHisHands View Post
    Not to go off on something entirely different, but would you agree or what you said, am I safe to assume you were insinuating that if one were God's child, that he or she would never REALLY TRULY BE DECEIVED because if he or she is deceived, then they may not even in fact be or have ever been God's to begin with? Not baiting you, I think this to probably be the truth, so I only ask you is all.
    Depends. For one to not be deceived, wouldn't one have to know all things? Is "I don't know" deception?

    Is there no room for "we see through a glass darkly"?

    Weren't the apostles deceived about Jesus but grew in knowledge and grace?

    Have you ever had God change your mind on a subject? If so, were you deceived prior to having your mind changed? And if you were, then were you really saved?

    Seems to me that's a very high standard to meet. I would say one can be deceived and still be saved. Was the older brother deceived in the story about the prodigal son? Was he still a son?
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  13. #28

    Re: Why Four Gospels?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner55 View Post
    Wow, that's a long sentence.
    That's what I thought.

    I take it you agree that God will not ignore a new believer who seeks His truth, right?
    Yes I agree wholeheartedly. I meant if someone who was believing the lie or the wrong people you mentioned(cult, etc.) would not truly be building upon the Rock and thus wasn't a believer to begin with because they believed in a lie to begin with.

    However, in some cases it wouldn't be the case. Depending on which lie there faith was built upon.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    444

    Re: Why Four Gospels?"

    I am curious, on page one there are quotes from Bible Jim, but I don't see the posts, where did they come from. Periodicall I see people respond to quotes from people who have not posted in the thread, what is up with that?


    Good topic btw, I have read M.R. Dehahn "Adventures in faith, studies in the life of Abraham", sound similar to Pink. Thanks for posting the link Kahtar, I will check it out. "Portraits of Christ in Genesis" is another, they are rich in what they show us of Christ.
    Mark


    “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." Matthew 7:13-14

    (All Scripture quoted is from NKJV unless otherwise noted)

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Under the Blood of the Lamb
    Posts
    4,465
    Blog Entries
    18

    Re: Why Four Gospels?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
    I am curious, on page one there are quotes from Bible Jim, but I don't see the posts, where did they come from. Periodicall I see people respond to quotes from people who have not posted in the thread, what is up with that?


    Good topic btw, I have read M.R. Dehahn "Adventures in faith, studies in the life of Abraham", sound similar to Pink. Thanks for posting the link Kahtar, I will check it out. "Portraits of Christ in Genesis" is another, they are rich in what they show us of Christ.
    Unfortunately, Bible Jim and a few cronies persisted in being rude and insulting, and had to be shown to the door. All of their posts were subsequently deleted.

    When we stand before the Judgment Seat, we will have retained only two things from our earthly life: what God gave us, and what we did with what He gave us.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 137
    Last Post: May 24th 2014, 10:58 AM
  2. how "holy spirit" is spoken of in the gospels
    By Nihil Obstat in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: Apr 28th 2014, 03:47 PM
  3. Different gospels
    By karenoka27 in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Aug 19th 2009, 08:41 PM
  4. Other Gospels
    By Jeffinator in forum Apologetics and Evangelism
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May 22nd 2009, 01:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •