cure-real
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What is a "relationship with Christ"?

What is a "relationship with Christ"?

I know what a relationship with my dad is (and isn't).
    I know what a relationship with my wife is (and isn't).
    I know what a relationship with my friends and coworkers is (and isn't).

I used to think I had a "relationship with Christ", but I don't know what the relationship was (or wasn't). Since I'm now on the outside looking in, it appears as mental assent to some abstract concepts, a lifetime of prayers offered to something I assumed (i) listened and (ii) cared, and a vague hope for an eternity excluding perpetual conscious torture. It was altogether unlike all my other "relationships" in that there was no relation or relating.

So my questions are:
    1) Was I doing it wrong?
    2) What is the "relating" that makes the "relationship"?

Re: What is a "relationship with Christ"?

'Relationship with Christ' is a metaphor. A relationship is an interplay or actual relation between two people. We obviously don't have this with Jesus Christ. The first disciples did, though. They had an actual relationship with the person Jesus Christ. When Jesus leaves the scene, the relationship the disciples have with him becomes metaphoric, meaning they still continue to follow him even though he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by HisLeast View Post
    What is a "relationship with Christ"?

I know what a relationship with my dad is (and isn't).
    I know what a relationship with my wife is (and isn't).
    I know what a relationship with my friends and coworkers is (and isn't).

I used to think I had a "relationship with Christ", but I don't know what the relationship was (or wasn't). Since I'm now on the outside looking in, it appears as mental assent to some abstract concepts, a lifetime of prayers offered to something I assumed (i) listened and (ii) cared, and a vague hope for an eternity excluding perpetual conscious torture. It was altogether unlike all my other "relationships" in that there was no relation or relating.

So my questions are:
    1) Was I doing it wrong?
    2) What is the "relating" that makes the "relationship"?
    Hello,

I'm not sure what you were doing wrong, But to understand what a "relationship with Christ" is, I think we should look at the biblical examples. Think about Jesus teaching through His parables, and think about those who listened to Him. These people (followers) sat at His feet and listened to His words. I think we need to sit at His feet and listen to His words as they did. And consider the example of Paul and those who heard him. To have a relationship with Jesus means to listen to His words and to be a follower. So when you read Jesus teaching, like in the Sermon on the Mount, do you envision yourself as one in the crowd, listening to His words? Are you taking in His teachings and pondering them? I think that unless you can feel yourself to be a part of the crowd to whom He is speaking, then you are missing an important part of the "relationship".

Just my 2 cents worth.

Bandit

The relationship we have with Christ is a spiritual connection. It is real. He speaks to us in our spirits....guides us and comforts us with His presence. Not everybody actually has visions to see Him at times, but all may abide in His presence and be guided by Him.
    Formerly "Adullam" from other sites!

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

Walk in the Light! (
    התהלכו באור)

Having a relationship with Christ is spending time with Him daily. Asking for His help in times I need it. And giving Him thanks when things go well.

This doesn't always happen as sometimes I don't give Him credit, but I know He loves me and gave His life for me.
    Jesus Christ....who do you say He is?

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 1 John 4:1

Quote Originally Posted by MyRock View Post
    Having a relationship with Christ is spending time with Him daily. Asking for His help in times I need it. And giving Him thanks when things go well.

This doesn't always happen as sometimes I don't give Him credit, but I know He loves me and gave His life for me.
    Can a "relationship" be as completely one-sided as that?

No. As he loved us, so we love Him, giving our lives as a sacrifice. We live in submission to him, in obedience, and we give our lives for the brethren, as he did. We learn to be as he is. He IS the first to love in the relationship, but not the only one, otherwise we do not have a relationship, but we act as though we have a vending machine, and are just taking advantage of his goodness.
    That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Earnestly contending for the faith which was once for all delivered unto the saints

Jesus loves us and wants us to involve Him in our lives.

God "speaks" to my "heart". Every good and inspired thought, in my heart, is spawned from God. When I read the Word, I am inspired, that too, is God "speaking" to me. I respond in obedience and/or prayer. That is how God and I relate.

I will share this; there was a time when, for whatever reason or cause, I distrusted the Voice of God in my heart. It soon became very silent.....maybe that is what some do wrong, they stop believing like children. We have to believe that it is God speaking. We have to respond. By doing so, we might reach a point where we can truly say: I know God, we are like friends, He is my Father, He is my King......that's the relationship I am blessed to have and hope to see grow.

God bless you my friend

It is not one-sided though. Surely you remember 'hearing' God's voice. Through scripture, an inspired thought, through a friend etc.

Jesus loves us and wants us to involve Him in our lives.
    Just curious. Is that your opinion? Or are you basing that on Scripture? Specifically the "involve" part. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
    The relationship we have with Christ is a spiritual connection. It is real. He speaks to us in our spirits....guides us and comforts us with His presence. Not everybody actually has visions to see Him at times, but all may abide in His presence and be guided by Him.
    I agree with this. A relationship with Christ is far from one sided, in fact, if it's one sided, then we're probably the one who isn't taking part. HisLeast if you haven't experienced this relationship, then I can see why you now sit on the other side of the fence!

Christianity is all about our relationship with Jesus, and the difference it makes to our lives. The Spirit of God lives within us, and He is attentive to our needs 24hrs a day. He is a hundred different relationships rolled into one.He can comfort me like no other, lift my mood like no one I know. He is my strength when I weak, and my peace when I'm worried. He is my guide,my protection,my teacher and mentor! I feel His presence daily, each time my attention turns to Him, He is there! He speaks to me throughout the day too, through people, music and my bible.

I could go on and on about this, but I hope your getting the idea. My relationship is real, more real that most of my relationships, because it's 100% genuine! I love my bible, but you can't have a relationship with a book. Jesus died that He might reconcile sinful man to God, and boy did He do that!

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Quote Originally Posted by HisWill View Post
    It is not one-sided though. Surely you remember 'hearing' God's voice. Through scripture, an inspired thought, through a friend etc.
    Not even once.

One could argue I had, at times, understood the tangled maze of scripture enough to understand his will in a specific situation (ie. "do not do this, it is sinful" or "do this because it is the right thing"). However I think that's "having a relationship" as much as I have a relationship with Homer after reading The Odyssey.

People have also told me that all the selfless ideas I've had, or all the "good" things I've been motivated to do were God speaking to me. I have a hard time swallowing that bait when non-Christians all over the world perform selfless and loving acts. If I proposed that they too have a relationship with God, I'd be a heretic.

Before one can have a relationship with Christ, one needs to determine who Christ is.
    Jesus Christ....who do you say He is?

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 1 John 4:1

Before one can have a relationship with Christ, one needs to determine who Christ is.
    Anyone who was raised in the church knows "who Christ is", whether through dogmas taught from the pulpit or from enough reading on one's own. I, and others like me, could provide all the textbook style answers to who Christ is and still not feel, observe, nor understand "relationship with Christ".

Hoping that I don't sound like a broken record (and yet knowing that I do), what does one need to determine about the identity of Christ before the relationship part becomes any clearer.

Thread Information