cure-real
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 62

Thread: Question about being born again

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    51

    Re: Question about being born again

    Quote Originally Posted by glad4mercy View Post
    Yes, it is God who works in us both to will and to do of His good pleasure. First, He changes our affections and our desires to actually want to do the right things, then He empowers us to do them. The secret is to walk in the Spirit. ( see Galatians 5 starting in verse 16 and Romans 8). Just as we have received the Spirit, we must also walk in Him. How do we do this? Pray and read the Bible daily, fellowship with other Christians, and allow the Holy Spirit to guide and teach us. There are two principles that battle within every believer, the flesh, ( which is the old man) and the new man who has been born of the Spirit. We must follow after peace, righteousness, and holiness as the Holy Spirit directs us. We learn to recognize the Spirit's voice as we study the Bible prayerfully, as the Holy Spirit will never contradict the Word of God.

    John 10: 27 = ( Jesus said) ...My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one.”

    Romans 8: 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.


    God Bless.
    Thank you! That was beautifully stated.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Strawberry Plains, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    10,618
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Question about being born again

    Thomasmind, I am happy to see that you have changed your Profile to say "Yes, I am a Christian." See, this had me wondering, because I saw that and I was thinking, "This person has so much Biblical knowledge, and yet says he'd not a Christian." I felt a kindred spirit in your words in the posts, and so having that on your profile page just did not make a bit of sense to me...

    I see now that you just needed understanding and clarity of what you believe! And, I am happy you are getting that clarity here, on this board!

    Friend, you are going to be an asset all over this board and a good witness to people all around the world! I'm glad you are here. (And like I said, I'm glad to see you changed your status to 'Yes, I am a Christian!")
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

    "Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    51

    Smile Re: Question about being born again

    Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post
    Thomasmind, I am happy to see that you have changed your Profile to say "Yes, I am a Christian." See, this had me wondering, because I saw that and I was thinking, "This person has so much Biblical knowledge, and yet says he'd not a Christian." I felt a kindred spirit in your words in the posts, and so having that on your profile page just did not make a bit of sense to me...

    I see now that you just needed understanding and clarity of what you believe! And, I am happy you are getting that clarity here, on this board!

    Friend, you are going to be an asset all over this board and a good witness to people all around the world! I'm glad you are here. (And like I said, I'm glad to see you changed your status to 'Yes, I am a Christian!")
    For my entire life I have found that people really do not understand me. I read the Bible all of the time but my questions always result in scorn. I love to learn, and always want to learn, but perhaps people until I came hare just misunderstood that I just want to learn because as much as I read the Bible, I still think my understanding of it is so small. I think part of my problem is that I see things differently than most so they might feel there is no reason to explain to me.
    The problem is that I have always been willing to put my entire self into learning and understand things completely, so when people are not wiling to give me the time of day I separate from them. For this I did not change my status because, before I say that I am a Christian I really think it needs to be all of me, without a moment of doubt absolutely certain of it. I asked decades ago for both wisdom and vision, and though I see many things about people I realize in this that I see so very little. I probably will only be the person reflecting the way others see things for most of the time, I cannot say that I can advise anyone on the Bible per se no matter how much of it I am familiar with, but as far as living life better by letting Jesus into ourselves I think I might have had that covered for longer than I expected.
    I always am amazed how Jesus works. This week past has really been moving, in reading so many things here and throughout the blogs, and on the main pages I have discovered so very many new things. This particular thread though was the most moving. Kind of like Jesus saying, “Oh yea I have that all sewed up, and yo! By the way, Yea I was there the whole time, all of your life, so if you need to know, I did all of that.” Not like I am trying to shrug off any responsibility for doing anything good in my life, but I have to say I loved learning that all of this time it was Jesus. What is odd is that I always believed that after I got married I had some kind of aura about me that told women that were not my wife that I did not want a relationship with anyone but her. I have to say I am happily wrong; it was Jesus the whole time. The very best part is this; when I go flying I never worried about crashing because I thought Jesus was protecting me. In fact Jesus was making it all work out completely. I actually have stories to tell about that, some other time perhaps.
    Another long post, sorry about that, It’s the writer in me. Get it? Haha!

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Strawberry Plains, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    10,618
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Question about being born again

    Quote Originally Posted by thomasmind View Post
    For my entire life I have found that people really do not understand me. I read the Bible all of the time but my questions always result in scorn. I love to learn, and always want to learn, but perhaps people until I came hare just misunderstood that I just want to learn because as much as I read the Bible, I still think my understanding of it is so small. I think part of my problem is that I see things differently than most so they might feel there is no reason to explain to me.
    The problem is that I have always been willing to put my entire self into learning and understand things completely, so when people are not wiling to give me the time of day I separate from them. For this I did not change my status because, before I say that I am a Christian I really think it needs to be all of me, without a moment of doubt absolutely certain of it. I asked decades ago for both wisdom and vision, and though I see many things about people I realize in this that I see so very little. I probably will only be the person reflecting the way others see things for most of the time, I cannot say that I can advise anyone on the Bible per se no matter how much of it I am familiar with, but as far as living life better by letting Jesus into ourselves I think I might have had that covered for longer than I expected.
    I always am amazed how Jesus works. This week past has really been moving, in reading so many things here and throughout the blogs, and on the main pages I have discovered so very many new things. This particular thread though was the most moving. Kind of like Jesus saying, “Oh yea I have that all sewed up, and yo! By the way, Yea I was there the whole time, all of your life, so if you need to know, I did all of that.” Not like I am trying to shrug off any responsibility for doing anything good in my life, but I have to say I loved learning that all of this time it was Jesus. What is odd is that I always believed that after I got married I had some kind of aura about me that told women that were not my wife that I did not want a relationship with anyone but her. I have to say I am happily wrong; it was Jesus the whole time. The very best part is this; when I go flying I never worried about crashing because I thought Jesus was protecting me. In fact Jesus was making it all work out completely. I actually have stories to tell about that, some other time perhaps.
    Another long post, sorry about that, It’s the writer in me. Get it? Haha!
    O know how that is, for sure! You see, I have a writer in me too! Sometimes I get started writing and don't know when to stop! But to me, your post was NOT too long. Since I write, I am also an avid reader...

    And that post (above) speaks volumes and nothing about it is vague either! Maybe some of your 'stories' that are waiting to be told can go into the Articles on the board here! I'd love to read some of those stories and see how Jesus was there the whole time.
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

    "Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Strawberry Plains, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    10,618
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Question about being born again

    By the way, new friend, you do know that now, since you have it in your profile stating that you are a Christian, the whole board is open to you.

    Be aware though, that there are lots of varying beliefs here. People come here to discuss their way of interpreting scripture, they debate about when Christ will return, some say you must be baptized to be saved, and just so many various beliefs.

    But here, that is fine to do. Everyone is respectful though, and we realize that although we may have a different stance on something than another person, that does not mean they are not a Christian. So enjoy posting in whatever discussion that seems interesting to you! (We don't want anyone to feel like a 'newbie' here! So feel free to discuss and debate all you wish on this spot in the World Wide Web! After all, its all dedicated to the glory of God anyway.)
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

    "Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    51

    Re: Question about being born again

    Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post
    By the way, new friend, you do know that now, since you have it in your profile stating that you are a Christian, the whole board is open to you.

    Be aware though, that there are lots of varying beliefs here. People come here to discuss their way of interpreting scripture, they debate about when Christ will return, some say you must be baptized to be saved, and just so many various beliefs.

    But here, that is fine to do. Everyone is respectful though, and we realize that although we may have a different stance on something than another person, that does not mean they are not a Christian. So enjoy posting in whatever discussion that seems interesting to you! (We don't want anyone to feel like a 'newbie' here! So feel free to discuss and debate all you wish on this spot in the World Wide Web! After all, its all dedicated to the glory of God anyway.)

    Sweet, and thank you!

    None of that will be any kind of a problem.

  7. #52

    Re: Question about being born again.

    Quote Originally Posted by percho View Post
    Was not the water baptism of Jesus a symbolic prophesy of his death burial & resurrection which is the reality of the fulfilling of all righteousness?

    He went down into the water and was baptized = immersed picturing Jesus being in Hades, dead and buried Acts 2:27
    coming straightway out of the water = Raised from the dead by the Father receiving the promise of the hope of eternal life John 5:21,26, Titus 3:5
    The Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: = Jesus receiving the promise of the Holy Spirit from God the Father Acts 2:33, Titus 3:5
    This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. = God the Father by the resurrection, the firstborn from the dead, declaring him his Son with power. Acts 13:33, Col 1:18, Rom 1:4
    i just saw this now and did not look at it that way - but once you said that it agrees with me

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Monrovia Ca
    Posts
    2,293
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Question about being born again

    Quote Originally Posted by thomasmind View Post
    Thank you! That was beautifully stated.
    Thank you for the kind words. It's good to have you on the board. As far as asking questions, I don't believe in a bad question as long as it is a sincere question. God gives wisdom to all who seek it, He gives it freely and without rebuke. ( James 1:5). I would much rather talk to someone who asks questions than someone who thinks they know it all. True wisdom comes from asking the right questions, getting your answer from the right source, and then acting on what you learn. God Bless
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

    2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

    "My heart was once hard and dark. Then God turned on the Light and the Water."

  9. #54

    Re: Question about being born again.

    Quote Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
    Now the full born again experience can only be maintained (at that level of intimacy with God) by forsaking all in order to retain the level of holiness required to cleave to God.

    It reminds me of stories of privateers (pirates) who in order to outrun the navy ships sent out to arrest them, needed to throw everything overboard in order to be able to outsail their pursuers and get away. So the cannon (defenses) were heaved over the side...etc...

    Unless we forsake ALL things we cannot remain long in the presence of the Lord. The world will catch up to us!!!!

    Then we are only left with the humility of righteousness and the doing what is right in our own strength.

    Of course if we pretend to be holy when we are not then we lose EVEN the benefits of a temporal righteousness.
    How would we know if you are born again? I am sorry, let me make it simple for you.

    Everyone says they are born again. How would we know you are born again? What would be the undeniable proof? I do not want to be deceived on this so I ask for your vast expertise on this subject matter.

    Thank you.

  10. #55

    Re: Question about being born again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Butch5 View Post
    It's not ridiculous at all David. If God gives a command we are to follow it to the best of our ability. If we are not able to follow then the decision lies in God's hands as to what to do. However, for us to make hypothetical situations and then ude them in an attempt to negate God's commands is disobedience.
    Has God ever given you a command that you could not obey? If so Please share with me what it was.

    Thank you.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Fl. (USA)
    Posts
    3,060

    Re: Question about being born again.

    Quote Originally Posted by SeekingTheAbsolute View Post
    How would we know if you are born again?
    I think this knowledge comes through the understanding one gains by seeking God, and especially from the peace of mind that comes with it. It is that peace with God that assures us. Lots of people put an emphasis on external signs, but to me the real sign is the internal peace that true salvation brings.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Fl. (USA)
    Posts
    3,060

    Re: Question about being born again.

    Quote Originally Posted by SeekingTheAbsolute View Post
    Has God ever given you a command that you could not obey? If so Please share with me what it was.

    Thank you.
    I think God's expectations of us are revealed as we grow. The fundamental command is to follow: but where that eventually may lead is often unclear at first. So His commands are never more than we can perform at the time (though they may really stretch us). Remember, God is patient, so He is going to work with us.

  13. #58

    Re: Question about being born again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    I think this knowledge comes through the understanding one gains by seeking God, and especially from the peace of mind that comes with it. It is that peace with God that assures us. Lots of people put an emphasis on external signs, but to me the real sign is the internal peace that true salvation brings.
    episkopos Do you agree with this?

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    51

    Re: Question about being born again.

    Quote Originally Posted by SeekingTheAbsolute View Post
    episkopos Do you agree with this?
    Well, the truth is that like peace we will never actually "find" peace like it is a place. The same is with knowledge, we can obtain pieces of it, but we will never have a complete knowledge of anything in this lifetime because even our minds are far too complex to have substantial knowledge about (I think Jung stated something like that). But I think what Bandit was saying is definately a very solid point. We obtain this or any knowledge when we seek God. The statement about the peace of mind in our lives that comes with understanding as much as we can about God has more than substantialy been proven in my life. Thats probably why I am writing a book entitled "Walking Your Path of Peace", because when you seek God you do the right things to the best of your ability even when no one is looking.

    This is not to say that we are the ones that do the right things in life to have this peace of mind, it is more like Jesus takes actions in our lives to make us more responsible humans that do the right things even when no one is looking. From here I have to also agree with Bandit that quite literally the truest sign of God is a life of peace, which comes from understanding God, or at least putting forth an effort into trying to gather this understanding.

    Let me give you an example; I pray for people that drink and drive. They drink and drive because they drink and do not care about the consiquences. If they believed they do not need to drink so much as to get drunk and then operate a vehicle because (you will just have to have faith in me with this statement) when you find Jesus your life absolutely positively and difinitively changes. With these changes you are able to deal with things better in your life because you understand. With this in mind I pray for a person that drinks and drives, but not that they stop drinking and driving. I pray for them to find God so that their lives, with this understanding, can become better.

    Yes I completely, totally and absolutely agree with Bandit's statement. I also love the ambigutiy that went with it.

  15. #60

    Re: Question about being born again

    Thomas,
    "Is Jesus telling us that to be born of water is that your born here on Earth, and born of spirit means that you have died?"
    Being "Born Again" is defined as "Being born again of love" in that someone who is "born again of love" will strive to live in "love for themselves and in love for other people." A person who is "born again of love or the Spirit of love" will "die" to the old person that they used to be that "did not live in love towards themself and other people."

    John 3: 3
    3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
    12If I have told you earthly (fleshly) things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly (spiritual) things?

    1 John 4: 7
    7Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God (Hence, "born of love") and knows God.

    The "kingdom of God" or "Heaven" is referring to the SPIRITUAL REALM where God reigns. Also, most people don't understand (as I once did not understand) that you have SPIRITUAL LIFE (happiness, peace, joy or what "Heaven" represents) OR SPIRITUAL DEATH (agony, misery, unhappiness or what "Hell" represents) RIGHT NOW!

    1 John 3: 14
    14We know that we have passed from death (“spiritual death”) to life (“spiritual life”), because we LOVE our brothers. Anyone who does not love remains in death (“spiritual death” or “unhappiness, agony, etc”).

    Luke 17: 21 and many other verses state that the "kingdom of God" is WITHIN YOU!

    Romans 8: 6
    6The mind of sinful man (a man who lives in negativity and who does not live in LOVE) is death (spiritual death), but the mind controlled by the Spirit (someone who is "born again of love", or someone who lives in Love or the "kingdom of God") is life and peace

    1 John 4: 12
    12No one has ever seen God (the spiritual realm where God reigns or the "kingdom of God"); but if we LOVE one another, God (the Spirit of God or the Spirit of LOVE) lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

    **edited by admin**

    I know this is a lot of information to digest, but I hope that it may help you and others find true happiness, peace, and joy as it has helped me find happiness, peace, and joy in my life!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Discussion Was John the Baptizer "born again" before being born?
    By grit in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: Sep 6th 2013, 07:49 PM
  2. Are we born without a religion or are we born atheists?
    By Madrid in forum Christians Answer
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: Jul 22nd 2013, 08:30 AM
  3. Born Again
    By Big Tobacco in forum Apologetics and Evangelism
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 23rd 2010, 02:41 AM
  4. Are we born with sin ?
    By ross3421 in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 238
    Last Post: Mar 30th 2010, 08:03 PM
  5. Born Again.
    By napsnsnacks in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: May 13th 2007, 04:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •