cure-real
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ye which are spiritual!

Ye which are spiritual!

1Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. 2Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

What do you think this means...to be spiritual?

Blog Entries

Re: Ye which are spiritual!

Quote Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
    1Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. 2Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

What do you think this means...to be spiritual?
    Ye which are spiritual just means those who are walking in the Spirit, those denying their flesh. The verse as a whole, is telling those who are walking right to gently help those who have fallen into sin. They are to be encouraged to lay down that sin,so that they can walk after the Spirit again.

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Quote Originally Posted by Indueseason View Post
    Ye which are spiritual just means those who are walking in the Spirit, those denying their flesh. The verse as a whole, is telling those who are walking right to gently help those who have fallen into sin. They are to be encouraged to lay down that sin,so that they can walk after the Spirit again.

blessings to you
    Amen! But I am wondering if Paul doesn't mean a certain maturity level of walking in the Spirit. We know that the Galatians and Corinthians started in the Spirit...but had trouble maintaining that walk.

So it would seem that being spiritual in Christ is not just having walked or even presently walking in the Spirit per se...but having matured in the character that makes such a walk solid!

Blog Entries

I suspect that one walking in the Spirit is one walking in the Spirit. Someone not mature is likely not someone walking in the Spirit thus maturity is certainly implied in this text.

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Blog Entries

Amen! But I am wondering if Paul doesn't mean a certain maturity level of walking in the Spirit. We know that the Galatians and Corinthians started in the Spirit...but had trouble maintaining that walk.

So it would seem that being spiritual in Christ is not just having walked or even presently walking in the Spirit per se...but having matured in the character that makes such a walk solid!
    I guess it would take a level of maturity, but would a person who's walk is solid, have to watch that they were not tempted by the same sin? From past experience, I have come to see that one who is "immune" to that particular sin, ie have never felt tempted by it or are against it, be they mature and solid, or younger in the walk, can help their brother or sister walk away from that sin.

blessings to you
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectPeter View Post
    I suspect that one walking in the Spirit is one walking in the Spirit. Someone not mature is likely not someone walking in the Spirit thus maturity is certainly implied in this text.
    One can walk in the Spirit from the first day of conversion. But an immature person can be given too much responsibility too quickly. Take the warning of Paul to NOT have a novice be an overseer lest he fall into the condemnation of the devil. Obviously such a novice would be seen as being spiritual enough to do the job...but not seasoned sufficiently to know the devil and how he trips us up.

This brings us back to the proven character issue that Peter raises up in 2Peter 1...the things we add to our faith, which I know you fully endorse.

Could it be that a "spiritual" one would be both one who walks in the Spirit AND has the depth of character required to remain there through trials and temptations? That is what I am getting at.

I guess it would take a level of maturity, but would a person who's walk is solid, have to watch that they were not tempted by the same sin? From past experience, I have come to see that one who is "immune" to that particular sin, ie have never felt tempted by it or are against it, be they mature and solid, or younger in the walk, can help their brother or sister walk away from that sin.

blessings to you

I agree! But the devil is wily and is looking to plant Trojan horses where he can! This has been my experience. You think you can help someone but really it is a front to entangle you in a sin that is new to you.

Hence the warning to be very careful...considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

Pax!!!!

Blog Entries

One can walk in the Spirit from the first day of conversion. But an immature person can be given too much responsibility too quickly. Take the warning of Paul to NOT have a novice be an overseer lest he fall into the condemnation of the devil. Obviously such a novice would be seen as being spiritual enough to do the job...but not seasoned sufficiently to know the devil and how he trips us up.

This brings us back to the proven character issue that Peter raises up in 2Peter 1...the things we add to our faith, which I know you fully endorse.

Could it be that a "spiritual" one would be both one who walks in the Spirit AND has the depth of character required to remain there through trials and temptations? That is what I am getting at.
    Um.. again though, while they can walk in the Spirit (perhaps better said, taking steps in the Spirit), and yes, such as laid out in the progression of 2 Peter 1... that doesn't mean they are "spiritual" or someone that is not carnal. As Paul called them... babies. The text clearly implies a maturity in that "spiritual".

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Blog Entries

I agree! But the devil is wily and is looking to plant Trojan horses where he can! This has been my experience. You think you can help someone but really it is a front to entangle you in a sin that is new to you.

Hence the warning to be very careful...considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

Pax!!!!
    Agreed, but some people are just not tempted by certain sins, and my point is that younger Christians can help someone escape from sin, if it's one that won't entice them. When I was a very young Christian, I helped a church member who was drinking too much. The member would offer me a drink, but I had no interest, there was no temptation for me. While there were things that could have led me to be tempted, that was not one of them.

I see it similar to when Jesus was talking about judging, we have to remove the plank from our own eye, before we can see the splinter in another's eye. So when God has given us the victory over a certain sin ( not just the person trying real hard to quit it, but a complete change of heart towards it) we are free to help another who might be struggling with it. That doesn't need a whole lot of maturity,just a victory over that sin thanks to Jesus! As long as the younger Christian realises that he can only help someone if he himself has the victory over it, it should be fine. I guess it takes a lot of personal insight and honesty to know you have that victory, but it can be done.

blessings to you
    ------

The Lifehouse Skit

Agreed, but some people are just not tempted by certain sins, and my point is that younger Christians can help someone escape from sin, if it's one that won't entice them. When I was a very young Christian, I helped a church member who was drinking too much. The member would offer me a drink, but I had no interest, there was no temptation for me. While there were things that could have led me to be tempted, that was not one of them.

I see it similar to when Jesus was talking about judging, we have to remove the plank from our own eye, before we can see the splinter in another's eye. So when God has given us the victory over a certain sin ( not just the person trying real hard to quit it, but a complete change of heart towards it) we are free to help another who might be struggling with it. That doesn't need a whole lot of maturity,just a victory over that sin thanks to Jesus! As long as the younger Christian realises that he can only help someone if he himself has the victory over it, it should be fine. I guess it takes a lot of personal insight and honesty to know you have that victory, but it can be done.

blessings to you
    Good point! Thanks for your input!

As long as a person is very sure they will not be enticed into the problem...but I have seen cases where there was NO way that person was going to be enticed...then wham!!! I have seen this especially in regards to sexual attractions. A person who is happily married should be very careful when counseling people with troubled marriages for instance.

Um.. again though, while they can walk in the Spirit (perhaps better said, taking steps in the Spirit), and yes, such as laid out in the progression of 2 Peter 1... that doesn't mean they are "spiritual" or someone that is not carnal. As Paul called them... babies. The text clearly implies a maturity in that "spiritual".
    Yes, and there are no short-cuts to that maturity.

Blog Entries

Yes, and there are no short-cuts to that maturity.
    Not even one! Lord knows I tried!

Visit our new website

A.W. Tozer said,

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Blog Entries

Good point! Thanks for your input!

As long as a person is very sure they will not be enticed into the problem...but I have seen cases where there was NO way that person was going to be enticed...then wham!!! ( The wham sure showed them that they did not have the victory through Christ, and therefore shouldn't have been dealing with it)I have seen this especially in regards to sexual attractions. A person who is happily married should be very careful when counseling people with troubled marriages for instance( My mature and solid minister of a Father in law, counselled a couple who had marriage problems. By the time the first six sessions were over, the marriage was over and my Father in law was sleeping with the wife! Say's a lot about maturity .
    blessings to you
    ------

The Lifehouse Skit

Seems whenever I try to take a short-cut, I get cut short!

Blessings to you all!
    That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Earnestly contending for the faith which was once for all delivered unto the saints

Not even one! Lord knows I tried!
    But what has been tried? Indueseason describes a person who has, indeed, matured in character. The Lord has given them victory. The question is, what caused the maturation to occur? Was it walking in the Spirit in the way it is described in this thread? Is it just lots of time? How has the character growth of the one we can finally regard as 'spiritual' occurred without taking short cuts?
    Love first, ... answer questions ... later ...

Thread Information