cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Statement of Faith

Blog Entries

Statement of Faith

Okay... me, being me... I just can't help but to always try and make a point. On the website I've worked on I needed the good old, must have it... statement of faith. I just have a problem with them because they're mostly just canned. For most Protestant folk one can just copy and paste the Apostle's Creed and call it good. What most do is just rework it a bit to make it seem like they didn't in fact do just that. So I did two statements of faith. One that was proper... it is posted first. Then if you go down below that you will see where I posted another. I call it Statement of Faith for the Skeptic (Keeping it Real).

Now I know that it might offend some folk and that wasn't why I posted it so that won't be the reason that I take it down. What I would like is some honest feedback. Not looking for doctrinal discussion... agree or disagree. I just want it to make the point and perhaps get some agnostic to pause long enough to at least give it some thought because it isn't the standard fare stuff you are going to read on a website. It has to be biblical even though it is pretty much straight talk stuff.

http://www.projectpeterministries.or...-of-faith.html

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Blog Entries

Re: Statement of Faith

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectPeter View Post
    Okay... me, being me... I just can't help but to always try and make a point. On the website I've worked on I needed the good old, must have it... statement of faith. I just have a problem with them because they're mostly just canned. For most Protestant folk one can just copy and paste the Apostle's Creed and call it good. What most do is just rework it a bit to make it seem like they didn't in fact do just that. So I did two statements of faith. One that was proper... it is posted first. Then if you go down below that you will see where I posted another. I call it Statement of Faith for the Skeptic (Keeping it Real).

Now I know that it might offend some folk and that wasn't why I posted it so that won't be the reason that I take it down. What I would like is some honest feedback. Not looking for doctrinal discussion... agree or disagree. I just want it to make the point and perhaps get some agnostic to pause long enough to at least give it some thought because it isn't the standard fare stuff you are going to read on a website. It has to be biblical even though it is pretty much straight talk stuff.

I think you did a good job.

Blog Entries

I read it and think you did a good job.

Canned or not, I like, though do not necessarily hold to every item in the Proper Statement of Faith section, for the simple reason that it allows the reader or uninitiated visitor the opportunity to know precisely whom or what he or she is dealing with.

The other section is fine also, enriching the reader's experience and promoting dialogue, but, IMHO, the first is essential, at least implying that the writer does believe the elements of the statement.

I visited a site one time that actually taught and held to seriously false doctrine but, instead of stating those doctrines at the outset, gradually led the reader into these teachings. I almost ripped my keyboard out. (just one example, actually)

Blog Entries

I agree PP, the first one is essential, I know I look for some type statement of faith on sites, just to get a feel for where I am before I even consider reading anything. Not that the statement makes it a sure thing, but it at least gives me a clue as to whether I will even bother. I want to know where they stand on the Trinity, Son of God-Deity and so on. I want to know if they are goofy before I bother to look around to much.

If I see the preacher saying he got a new batch of rattle snakes in for next Sundays service, probably a site I will pass on....LOL

But the one for skeptics. I agree, it could be a feedback starter which I am thinking you want it to be

I like this statement of faith!..

God said it, I believe it, and that settles it!
    Formerly "Adullam" from other sites!

Striving to apprehend that for which I have been apprehended in Christ Jesus.

Walk in the Light! (
    התהלכו באור)

Blog Entries

I think it great!! It's straight to the point, in words that folks can understand. I pray that it speaks to many who are seeking!!

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Blog Entries

I knew we had to have the first one up because of obvious reasons. The second one... I had to have that up because I recall so many conversations with people out there on the street... even as recent as the day before I wrote that one out. They just don't get us Christian folk. The guy told me straight up... "what the hell are you even telling me all this for. I don't understand a word you are saying." Shoot... religious speak is an easy trap to fall into and I probably try and guard against it more carefully than most. The younger folk don't get that stuff and we can go on about prim and proper all day long but we're losing these guys because we're to dogmatic about some very silly things.

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Blog Entries

I knew we had to have the first one up because of obvious reasons. The second one... I had to have that up because I recall so many conversations with people out there on the street... even as recent as the day before I wrote that one out. They just don't get us Christian folk. The guy told me straight up... "what the hell are you even telling me all this for. I don't understand a word you are saying." Shoot... religious speak is an easy trap to fall into and I probably try and guard against it more carefully than most. The younger folk don't get that stuff and we can go on about prim and proper all day long but we're losing these guys because we're to dogmatic about some very silly things.
    I think just being yourself it what we should do. I wouldn't be so sure that God is all that prim and proper anyway. And I am pretty sure Jesus was not all to concerned about it either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quiet dove View Post
    I think just being yourself it what we should do. I wouldn't be so sure that God is all that prim and proper anyway. And I am pretty sure Jesus was not all to concerned about it either.
    Jesus was certainly an example of "breaking the mold". I think of the uproar recently because I used the words "screwed up". Someone saw that as "Christian cursing" and well... I use it as simply describing something that's screwed up. Don't want to offend folks so I try not to but what... are we to walk on such egg shells that we sound like goof-balls? I've seen heathens come into the church and one of them use a four letter word (out of habit and not disrespect) and you'd of thought they flipped God a bird. People were all upset and crawling the person for using such language in the House of God. While the kid shouldn't have said what he said... he doesn't know any better. What I do know... they never came back. So what did we accomplish? We straightened his little butt out sure enough... nevermind the fact that we pushed him away and should he have died that day... he'd fry. But hey... at least we set him straight! Kid didn't care about the Trinity... didn't even know there was one. Kid didn't care about the gifts of the Spirit... didn't even know there were any. Kid didn't care about how the Bible came about to be... never really thought about it before. Kid was just hurting and looking for folks to love him. We did our "tough love" bit because we got our little ears offended and sent that kid right back on the wide path to destruction. In all honesty... most folks would rather "his kind" just stay there than to come and taint their "house of Gawd." I don't advocate the flip-side where it is pretty much "anything goes" but surely we have to realize that something here is really amiss.

Visit our new website

A.W. Tozer said,

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Blog Entries

Jesus was certainly an example of "breaking the mold". I think of the uproar recently because I used the words "screwed up". Someone saw that as "Christian cursing" and well... I use it as simply describing something that's screwed up. Don't want to offend folks so I try not to but what... are we to walk on such egg shells that we sound like goof-balls? I've seen heathens come into the church and one of them use a four letter word (out of habit and not disrespect) and you'd of thought they flipped God a bird. People were all upset and crawling the person for using such language in the House of God. While the kid shouldn't have said what he said... he doesn't know any better. What I do know... they never came back. So what did we accomplish? We straightened his little butt out sure enough... nevermind the fact that we pushed him away and should he have died that day... he'd fry. But hey... at least we set him straight! Kid didn't care about the Trinity... didn't even know there was one. Kid didn't care about the gifts of the Spirit... didn't even know there were any. Kid didn't care about how the Bible came about to be... never really thought about it before. Kid was just hurting and looking for folks to love him. We did our "tough love" bit because we got our little ears offended and sent that kid right back on the wide path to destruction. In all honesty... most folks would rather "his kind" just stay there than to come and taint their "house of Gawd." I don't advocate the flip-side where it is pretty much "anything goes" but surely we have to realize that something here is really amiss.
    I would agree. Idk, sometimes even believers are made to feel like they just don't measure up. The "holier than thou" folks really do need to get over themselves...IMHO I have been in churches like that in my younger years, I mean, I ain't loosin any sleep over it..., but unfortunately, so many are turned off that we now have the problem you address in the statement of faith. If someone does not like the statement, maybe they need to take a closer look at themselves.

I mean I try to be polite and not offend, but mostly because I know people are so superficial in regards to how they determine who is and is not 'good'. However, I think I am getting old and cranky because I find it mattering less and less..... This is me, if I am not righteous enough for ya...well....bite me..

IMHO, if the doctrine is solid, the word of God is preached, it is the power unto salvation. Be you, and God will certainly send you, to who He wants you to talk to. Your individual personality under the power of the Spirit is who God will send. I mean that seems logical to me? Why would you want to be me, or me you...."that wouldn't make no sense".

Howdy PP,

IMHO, in giving honest feedback, does the US government make and circulate currency as well as counterfiet? Does Rolex make their watches and then the knock-offs too? Did God write the bible, and then also author a counterfiet one to compare it to? Can you see where I'm going? Does PP write his statement of faith and then a contra statement of faith? Again IMHO, postition your statement of faith, then just preach the Gospel, no need for the other.

My 2cents worth....

Blessings,

RbG
    "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
    Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
    ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
    1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
    Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redeemed by Grace View Post
    Howdy PP,

IMHO, in giving honest feedback, does the US government make and circulate currency as well as counterfiet? Does Rolex make their watches and then the knock-offs too? Did God write the bible, and then also author a counterfiet one to compare it to? Can you see where I'm going? Does PP write his statement of faith and then a contra statement of faith? Again IMHO, postition your statement of faith, then just preach the Gospel, no need for the other.

My 2cents worth....

Blessings,

RbG
    And pray tell... you saw that as contrary to the other how? Not liking it because of the wording I expected I guess... but calling it contrary to the other... that I don't get. And by the way... genuinely curious because if you see contrary then that isn't what I was looking to be.

Visit our new website

A.W. Tozer said,

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

And pray tell... you saw that as contrary to the other how? Not liking it because of the wording I expected I guess... but calling it contrary to the other... that I don't get. And by the way... genuinely curious because if you see contrary then that isn't what I was looking to be.
    I like version A. Version B is to hip hop and it tries to be something "cool", at least that is how it comes across to me.
    "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
    Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
    ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
    1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
    Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redeemed by Grace View Post
    I like version A. Version B is to hip hop and it tries to be something "cool", at least that is how it comes across to me.
    So it is a style thing... not surprised there. I already knew most of those that would have a problem with the style issue and knew you would be one of those... that I can live with. You said it was contrary to the other though... that's what made me wonder. Assumed you meant in message. Contrary in style was likely a gripe throughout the ages including Jesus, John the Baptist and Isaiah walking around naked for 3 years. Style complaints are workable.

Visit our new website

A.W. Tozer said,

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Thread Information