cure-real
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Matthew 1, Fourteen generations, I'm missing one??

Blog Entries

Re: Matthew 1, Fourteen generations, I'm missing one??

Quote Originally Posted by PJW View Post
    Paul wrote, "Neither give heed to fables and ENDLESS GENEOLAGIES, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do. ( I Tim 1:4)
    I am doing a study, or sorta, on what people toss out as contradictions. I, of course, believe the Bible to be infallible. My understanding of it, on the other hand, no so much.

Quote Originally Posted by PJW View Post
    Paul wrote, "Neither give heed to fables and ENDLESS GENEOLAGIES, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do. ( I Tim 1:4)
    So, tell me my friend. Is Matthew's genealogy a fable or an endless genealogy? How about the genealogies in Genesis? Are those fables or endless genealogies? How about Chronicles? Are they fables or endless genealogies?

You just effectively took a verse that applies to the monkeys and quoted it to the elephants. That's a way to sweep it under the rug when we simply want to avoid the issue.

The thread from Babylon to Jesus appears to be 13 generations, but actually fulfills a statement we find in Isaiah 53, and also in Acts 8, where the question is asked, "Who can declare his generation?" Jesus was, and is, and is to come. On earth, that would imply two physical generations, and not one. He was born and died (one generation), he arose and ascended, and will return to rule (2nd generation). When he rules, it will be for 1000 years (2nd generation) from Jerusalem, and then the Great White throne judgment and then ruling forever. This last phase is a sabbath generation (post Great White Throne).

Note in the passage in Matthew that there are then 42 generations. Let's do some math: 42 is 6 sets of 7. So, Jesus' reign completes that, but then transitions to the 'forever' seventh sabbath of peace from the New Jerusalem, and there is no end to that, so the 42 generation becomes eternal, and therefore, 'who can declare it?'

Interestingly, too, David's numerical value to his name is 14, so we are given three witnesses to Jesus' descendency from David just in the numeric representations.

There are several omitted generations in the text, and in the case of the four missing persons, we see that these were descendents of Ahab, and not listed purposefully by God in this list.

By then listing the names this way, we can form three sentences from the Hebrew meanings in each name, and each sentence declares God's plan of redemption in His Son.

The Bible is not in error.

Hope this helps.

Dale Hensarling
    Pastor, Patterson Covenant Church, Patterson, CA

Thread Information