cure-real
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Men as "brides of Christ"

Men as "brides of Christ"

Ok. Are there any guys here who feel the same as I do about this subject? The Bible describes the relationship between Christ and His Church as being like a marriage, with Christ as the groom and the Church as his bride. His Church is also made up of men. Who are His "brides." It feels a bit, well, homosexual (my wife wouldn't let me use the word "queer" ) for men to be described as "brides." Why can't I be a "best man?" I mean, at the Second Coming of Christ do I wear a white gown and heels or something?

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Re: Men as "brides of Christ"

List all the scriptures so we can discuss what God is saying... once we all understand what God is saying, then the feeling you are having will be aligned with God and not as you are presently having.
    Slug1--out

~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    List all the scriptures so we can discuss what God is saying... once we all understand what God is saying, then the feeling you are having will be aligned with God and not as you are presently having.
    I'm sure you are familiar with the various scriptures that described the Church as being Christ's "bride." I get the concept that the relationship had to be desribed somehow, but the whole wedding thing is just, well, weird to me as a man. That's not really going to change no matter how many times I read the scriptures. Being described as being "adopted" as God's "son," that's ok with me. Being His "wife," well, not so much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior4God View Post
    I'm sure you are familiar with the various scriptures that described the Church as being Christ's "bride." I get that it had to be desribed somehow, but the whole wedding thing is just, well, weird to me as a man. That's not really going to change no matter how many times I ead the sriptures. Being described as being adopted as God's son, that's ok. Being His wife, well, not so much.
    Well, for whatever the reason, the first to come to mind is the parable of the 10 virgins

As for what you just said... Are you reading the scriptures with a mindset to understand the meaning "physically" or "spiritually"?
    Slug1--out

~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

Well, for whatever the reason, the first to come to mind is the parable of the 10 virgins

As for what you just said... Are you reading the scriptures with a mindset to understand the meaning "physically" or "spiritually"?
    I see it as "spiritual." Am I wrong?

Blog Entries

I see it as "spiritual." Am I wrong?
    NO... but what you describe as a feeling of "homosexuality"... IS!!

If you are seeking the meaning of God's Word, "spiritually"... then why a feeling that is sinful? Such a feeling is NOT of the Holy Spirit, thus my question.
    Slug1--out

NO... but what you describe as a feeling of "homosexuality"... IS!!

If you are seeking the meaning of God's Word, "spiritually"... then why a feeling that is sinful? Such a feeling is NOT of the Holy Spirit, thus my question.
    Because for a man to be described as a "bride" seems so "unnatural" to me. I get that God is not gay, and neither am I, but the description used sounds so gay. I just personally wish it wasn't used in the Bible, especially when I have people like my daughter snickering at the idea of me being a "bride." Sorry if that offends you or God.

Blog Entries

Because for a man to be described as a "bride" seems so "unnatural" to me. I get that God is not gay, and neither am I, but the description used sounds so gay. Sorry if that offends you or God.
    So post all the scripture(s) and lets walk through it all.
    Slug1--out

So post all the scripture(s) and lets walk through it all.
    Ok. It'll take some time, and I, honestly, probably won't be able to do it today, though.

Blog Entries

Ok. It'll take some time, and I, honestly, probably won't be able to do it today, though.
    Hooah... I'm subscribed to this thread, soon as you post, I'll check back in. God Bless you dude!
    Slug1--out

Why are you upset at a metaphor? Are you also upset that God is a shepherd and we are sheep? Or God as potter and we as clay? Metaphors, man.

If you're younger, I can understand that perspective... but in the end it's text that has been translated and translated... and as such, the meaning is greater than the semantics.

wikipedia shows this, if it helps - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bride_of_Christ

Quote Originally Posted by BrckBrln View Post
    Why are you upset at a metaphor? Are you also upset that God is a shepherd and we are sheep? Or God as potter and we as clay? Metaphors, man.
    I sort of don't like being compared to a dumb animal, either, but the bride thing is a little bit creepier for me. Whatever. It's God's book, and I guess He can have it written however He wants.

Quote Originally Posted by cicero View Post
    If you're younger, I can understand that perspective... but in the end it's text that has been translated and translated... and as such, the meaning is greater than the semantics.

wikipedia shows this, if it helps - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bride_of_Christ
    I'm not particularly "young." I'll be 41 next month.

I sort of don't like being compared to a dumb animal, either, but the bride thing is a little bit creepier for me. Whatever. It's God's book, and I guess He can have it written however He wants.
    I think this is a terrible way to view the metaphors.

Do you love your wife? Is not the husbands love for his wife a wonderful picture of Christ's love for his church?

Instead of looking at the metaphor of the shepherd and sheep as you being compared to a dumb animal, maybe you should see it as a picture of how sometimes sheep go astray and need the shepherd to gather them back to him. Is this not a wonderful picture of Christ's caring for his people and keeping them from harm?

Thread Information