cure-real
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Men as "brides of Christ"

Re: Men as "brides of Christ"

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelog View Post
    One flesh with Christ? Of course. We are His body. And the description of us kicking butt with Him in Rev 19 with our beautiful adornments of the white robes which are the righteous acts of the Saints is not creepy at all!

We really do need to look at what that 'mystery' is before we get creeped out based on our contemporary mindsets. Seek and you shall find.

Anyway, what's wrong with creepy, when you consider creepiness engenders fear, which is the beginning of both knowledge and wisdom.
    I guess I'm just not very spiritual like the rest of you. I have the feeling that no matter how the Church's and Christ's relationship was described, you all would be ok with it. I guess the thought of a man being a "bride" conjures up images in my mind of a drag queen or effeminate homosexual man dressing up in a wedding gown, heels, and makeup and I find that disgusting. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior4God View Post
    I guess I'm just not very spiritual like the rest of you. I have the feeling that no matter how the Church's and Christ's relationship was described, you all would be ok with it. I guess the thought of a man being a "bride" conjures up images in my mind of a drag queen or effeminate homosexual man dressing up in a wedding gown, heels, and makeup and I find that disgusting. Sorry.
    Then, put those things outa your mind. Be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Take the thoughts captive. Fix your eyes on Jesus, and all the like. NOt so hard is that? Let the Word wash your mind, and meditate on what it really means, not what our depraved culture brings to mind. Just some thoughts, bro.
    Love first, ... answer questions ... later ...

Has nothing to do with being 'spiritual'. It's about a proper hermeneutic. It's been pointed out repeatedly that the 'bride of Christ' is a metaphor applied to the corporate church, yet you insist on misinterpreting the phrase and therefore miss the whole point. As a consequence, it looks as if you have a very low view of these metaphors being included in the Bible and want to flippantly dismiss them by saying 'It's God's book, I guess he can do whatever he wants with it'. That's an awful way of looking at things, man.

Also, I don't disagree that there are thoswe in the body who flaunt this bride stuff in a perverted way. I agree that is sickening. I agree the images of a man as a bride you have are sickening.

(a) As has been said, it is a collective metaphor, so it is wrong for teachers to tell us to think of ourselves as Christ's bride, whether we are male or female. That's idolatry for women and perversion for men.

(b) Seek to understand what Paul and the rest of them meant by this mystery, and have faith He will show you. Otherwise, until you are enlightened, suspend judgment on the Bible. Brck is right to point out that we need the right attitude toward the Word. Where does it say understanding spiritual truths will be easy? It takes study and seeking the Lord, and being enlightened by His Spirit. We must invest to receive. Seek and you shall find.

Quote Originally Posted by BrckBrln View Post
    Has nothing to do with being 'spiritual'. It's about a proper hermeneutic. It's been pointed out repeatedly that the 'bride of Christ' is a metaphor applied to the corporate church, yet you insist on misinterpreting the phrase and therefore miss the whole point. As a consequence, it looks as if you have a very low view of these metaphors being included in the Bible and want to flippantly dismiss them by saying 'It's God's book, I guess he can do whatever he wants with it'. That's an awful way of looking at things, man.
    Well, you can say it's an awful way for me to look at the metaphors, but it is what it is. I can't make myself personally like them. Would you rather I lie, I mean pretend, about it to make myself appear more receptive to things? I don't think I was being "flippant" by saying the Bible is God's book and He can put what He wants in it. Is that not true?

Well, you can say it's an awful way for me to look at the metaphors, but it is what it is. I can't make myself personally like them. Would you rather I lie, I mean pretend, about it to make myself appear more receptive to things? I don't think I was being "flippant" by saying the Bible is God's book and He can put what He wants in it. Is that not true?
    Even with a correct understanding of the metaphors, you still dislike them? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by BrckBrln View Post
    Even with a correct understanding of the metaphors, you still dislike them? Why?
    Because even with an intellectual understanding of what they mean, it just, and I know this is going to annoy you, "feels" weird for me to be of the Bride class. Sorry, but it's true. So, if I don't really ever come to appreciate or warm up to the term being used for myself, ( who knows, maybe that'll change) am I offending God or maybe even placing my salvation in jeopardy?

Because even with an intellectual understanding of what they mean, it just, and I know this is going to annoy you, "feels" weird for me to be of the Bride class. Sorry, but it's true. So, if I don't really ever come to appreciate or warm up to the term being used for myself, ( who knows, maybe that'll change) am I offending God or maybe even placing my salvation in jeopardy?
    No. People struggle with things in the Bible all the time. Nothing wrong with that.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Post the scriptures dude... lets break them down and help you get past this feeling you have.
    Slug1--out

~Does Predestination mean: Once of the devil, Always of the devil?~

~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

On the bright side, you have good evidence here that you are not attracted to males, or at least you are willing to overcompensate for that. That's light years ahead of the dude that thinks it feels kind of warm and mushy to be a bride.

Let's hear it for healthy male libido! Hear Hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Post the scriptures dude... lets break them down and help you get past this feeling you have.
    There are a few scriptures about Christians, which include men, being described as a bride. Here's one. It's the Apostle Paul speaking to the Corinthian church..."For I am jealous for you with the jealousy of God himself. I promised you as a pure bride to one husband, Christ."- (2 Corinthians 11:2) Ok, Slug, take it away...

Blog Entries

There are a few scriptures about Christians, which include men, being described as a bride. Here's one. It's the Apostle Paul speaking to the Corinthian church..."For I am jealous for you with the jealousy of God himself. I promised you as a pure bride to one husband, Christ."- (2 Corinthians 11:2) Ok, Slug, take it away...
    Paul is feeling the same responsibility that Christ feels "toward" the Body of Christ. Paul wants nothing less than ANY who hear the Gospel, to be pure before God.

The Body of Christ is the "bride", so as Jesus wants us to be pure before God... Paul feels the same as Jesus does toward anyone who IS of the Body of Christ, or even, who WILL BE a part of the Body of Christ.

Paul is jealous toward the "bride"... just as any "father" would raise his child to be PURE for their bride. Paul is doing ALL he can to take care of the Body of Christ, that those in the Body are "pure" for God... just as a father would raise his child to be pure... this is where the "metaphor" kicks in...
    Slug1--out

~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

Blog Entries

Bump... Warrior4God,

I posted this and soon after, the board was shutdown for that 24 hours.

Praying for you dude!
    Slug1--out

doesn't bother me at all. There is nothing sexual about Christ's relationship with the church. It was a metaphor to describe the love and closeness of the relationship. There is no sexual tone at all.

I am not sure if this has been said before because I didn't read all the stuff people posted, but another big part of this "bride and groom" thing is that it's a covenant between God and His people that is never to be broken.

Thread Information