cure-real
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: King David and Adultery

King David and Adultery

So i got into a rather heated debate about the sins of the great men in the bible... and it got me thinking.

David of course committed adultery with Bathsheba.

2 Samuel 11:2And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king's house: and from the roof he saw a woman washing herself; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon. 3And David sent and inquired after the woman. And one said, Is not this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite? 4And David sent messengers, and took her; and she came in unto him, and he lay with her; for she was purified from her uncleanness: and she returned unto her house. 5And the woman conceived, and sent and told David, and said, I am with child.

Which strangely enough Solomon was born to David by Bathsheba and ultimately our Savior was born via this sinful union. (which would have made a great point in that thread but in this thread it does nothing.)

However my question is if this was the law regarding adultery.

Leviticus 20:10And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Why was David not put to death?

Re: King David and Adultery

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    So i got into a rather heated debate about the sins of the great men in the bible... and it got me thinking.

2 Samuel 11:2And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king's house: and from the roof he saw a woman washing herself; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon. 3And David sent and inquired after the woman. And one said, Is not this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite? 4And David sent messengers, and took her; and she came in unto him, and he lay with her; for she was purified from her uncleanness: and she returned unto her house. 5And the woman conceived, and sent and told David, and said, I am with child.

Which strangely enough Solomon was born to David by Bathsheba and ultimately our Savior was born via this sinful union. (which would have made a great point in that thread but in this thread it does nothing.)

Leviticus 20:10And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

At this point in Jewish history, law was followed when convenient.

It is strange also because God deals with his sin and punishes him in four ways....

1.David's child dies.

2.David's son Amnon lusts after and eventually rapes his own half sister Tamar.

3.Absalom the full brother of Tamar kills Amnon.

4.Absalom's rebellion forces David to leave Jerusalem.

But God does not deal with him according to his own law.

Because God chose him for something and no matter what David did, it would not derail what God planned for him. He was "excused" from the proper punishment he should have faced, suffering in a different way.

We're told why in chapter 12:

David said to Nathan, 'I have sinned against Yahweh.'

And Nathan said to David, 'Yahweh also has put away your sin; you shall not die. Nevertheless, because by this deed you have utterly scorned Yahweh, the child who is born to you shall die.'
    David repented and confessed his sin. Punishments of the Law could be overturned by genuine repentance. 'Nevertheless', David's sin was a grievous sin, so he would receive a punishment: the death of his son and strife throughout his family.

That's the short side of the story.

The long side comes if we study the Law a bit more. At least two witnesses were required to accuse someone of sin. As far as the text indicates, only David and Bathsheba knew of the adultery, and only David and Joab knew of the murder-by-proxy of Uriah. David and Bathsheba aren't going to accuse themselves of sin, and David and Joab aren't going to accuse themselves of murder... so legally speaking David could not be sentenced to death since he was never accused, and he was never accused because the only people who knew were accomplices to the sins. God sent the prophet Nathan, but even then he's only one man.

Blog Entries

Maybe for the same reason God doesn't throw us all in hell? Mercy?

*edit*

er..what markedward said
    Last edited by shepherdsword; Feb 28th 2012 at 06:49 AM. Reason: er...what markedward said

Peace

Gen 15:1 After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying,Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

Blog Entries

jesse, read Psalm 38...: 1 O lord, rebuke me not in thy wrath: neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure.
    2 For thine arrows stick fast in me, and thy hand presseth me sore.
    3 There is no soundness in my flesh because of thine anger; neither is there any rest in my bones because of my sin.
    4 For mine iniquities are gone over mine head: as an heavy burden they are too heavy for me.
    5 My wounds stink and are corrupt because of my foolishness.
    6 I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all the day long.
    7 For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease: and there is no soundness in my flesh.

David's sin against Bathsheba, has indeed caused him tremendous pain a and disease ,,, his repentance has brought him closer to God, and he asks God to please remember his sin no more....
    The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

No Solomon was conceived after Bathsheba became Davids wife. The Son that came from the adultery that happened between David and Bathsheba died. So Solomon was not a result of a sinful union.

Well they did not enforce the law on David.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Blog Entries

Even with this sin he committed, he was a man after God's heart.
    There was true repentance.... and he suffered at the hand of God, not of man...
    The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

Excuse me, however I believe both David and Bathsheba did die, did they not?

Job 14:14 If a man dieth -- doth he revive? All days of my warfare I wait, till my change come.---------Do you think Job had ever heard of this promise? Titus 1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;-----Has Job or David or Bathsheba or Abraham to this very day received that promise?
    Who has? Gal, 1:1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;) 1 Cor 15.16,17,18 For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: And if Christ be not raised, your faith vain; ye are yet in your sins. (If Jesus wasn't given life from the dead, regeneration, no one will be.) Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. John 5:21 For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth; (!st Part) John 5:26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself; 1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the whole world. John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: John 5:21 2nd part even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.

Because Jesus died for our sin God the Father of him, gave him the promise of eternal life, life in himself, and the judgement to quicken whom he will which will be inclusive of Abraham, David, Job and I believe also Bathsheba by resurrection from the dead at his appearing and his kingdom. 2 Tim. 4:1 I charge [thee] therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

I was actually studying this story today. A couple thoughts that I found interesting:

(2Sa 12:5-6) And David's anger was greatly kindled against the man; and he said to Nathan, As the LORD liveth, the man that hath done this thing shall surely die: And he shall restore the lamb fourfold, because he did this thing, and because he had no pity.
    David actually prophesied his own punishment for sin: FOUR lambs for ONE lamb (Ex. 22:1).

Four of his sons died because he murdered Uriah and took his wife: (1) the unnamed son from Bethsheba, his firstborn Amnon, Absalom his murderer, and Adonijah who tried to take the throne.

The other thought was David's "real" repentance which gives us a great picture of how the backslider comes back to God after he is dealt with for his sin. (For most of us its through the guilt and shame of sinning against God, but sometimes it includes a great reaping of corruption we have sown to the flesh - Gal. 6:7-8):

(2Sa 12:20) Then David arose from the earth, and WASHED, and ANOINTED himself, and CHANGED HIS APPAREL, and came into the house of the LORD, and WORSHIPPED: then he came to his own house; and when he required, they set BREAD before him, and he did EAT.
    1. After David acknowledged his sin against God he WASHED himself speaking to us of our SANCTIFICATION or WASHING OF REGENERATION.

2. He was ANOINTED (with oil we assume) which speaks of the work of the Holy Spirit in bringing restoration.

3. He CHANGED HIS APPAREL which speaks of us PUTTING ON CHRIST or RENEWING OUR MINDS.

4. He WORSHIPED only after he was cleansed, restored, and changed his mind (repentance).

5. He finally ATE BREAD (the Word) and was strengthened in his faith toward God.

Psalm 51 (which was written after this sin) speaks to all these truths concerning the return of the backslidden believer.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano Vinci View Post
    I was actually studying this story today. A couple thoughts that I found interesting:

David actually prophesied his own punishment for sin: FOUR lambs for ONE lamb (Ex. 22:1).

Four of his sons died because he murdered Uriah and took his wife: (1) the unnamed son from Bethsheba, his firstborn Amnon, Absalom his murderer, and Adonijah who tried to take the throne.

The other thought was David's "real" repentance which gives us a great picture of how the backslider comes back to God after he is dealt with for his sin. (For most of us its through the guilt and shame of sinning against God, but sometimes it includes a great reaping of corruption we have sown to the flesh - Gal. 6:7-8):

1. After David acknowledged his sin against God he WASHED himself speaking to us of our SANCTIFICATION or WASHING OF REGENERATION.

2. He was ANOINTED (with oil we assume) which speaks of the work of the Holy Spirit in bringing restoration.

3. He CHANGED HIS APPAREL which speaks of us PUTTING ON CHRIST or RENEWING OUR MINDS.

4. He WORSHIPED only after he was cleansed, restored, and changed his mind (repentance).

5. He finally ATE BREAD (the Word) and was strengthened in his faith toward God.

Psalm 51 (which was written after this sin) speaks to all these truths concerning the return of the backslidden believer.

Super post. Thank you.

Blog Entries

Read Psalm 51. I believe your answer is there.

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

Jesse, I may be wrong but I thought Jesus actual blood line was through one of David's other sons from one of the other wives. I think the bloodline Jesus was born through was Nathan. Whether that Nathan is the same Nathan the prophet I do not know. I have to check but I am fairly certain that is who Mary was descended from, Nathan.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

Yup it's Nathan. Luke 3:31. This geneology is Mary's. Which in God's eyes makes Jesus the rightful heir to the throne due to the words God spoke to the one of the kings long after the time of Soloman. God said that no man from that bloodline would rule again. Yet legally binding was the kingship to Solomans bloodline so Jesus had to have an earthly father from that blood line. Therefore by Joseph agreeing to marry Mary it was the equivalence of adoption for the baby in her womb. Thereby making Jesus both the legal heir to the throne and the approved rightful heir by God. Or something like that.

God is so SMART!
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Thread Information