cure-real

Thread: My Daily BIble Study - Daniel (2)

My Daily BIble Study - Daniel (2)

[B]Daniel [/B

]Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”Babylon . . was the wonder city of the ancient world. Situated near the garden of Eden region, built around the Tower of Babel . . a favourite residence of Babylonian, Assyrian and Persian kings, even of Alexander the Great . . Babylon was brought to the zenith of it’s glory in the days of Daniel by Nebuchadnezzar, who during his 45 year reign never wearied of building and beautifying palaces and temples.

Ancient historians said Babylon’s wall was 60 miles round, 15 miles on each side, 300 feet high, 80 feet thick, extending 35 feet below ground; built of bricks one foot square and 3-4 inches thick, ¼ mile of clear space between the city and the wall, the wall protected by wide and deep moats filled with water; 250 towers on the walls, 100 gates of brass. The inner wall consisted of two parallel walls each about 20 feet thick, 40 feet apart, with the space between filled with rubble, with a deep, wide moat on the outside. The city was divided by the Euphrates in 2 almost equal parts protected by walls all the way with 25 gates connecting streets and ferry boats; one bridge on stone piers was ½ mile long, 30 feet wide, with drawbridges which were removed at night. . . Nebuchadnezzar’s palace . . it’s vast ruins were uncovered (1899-1912) was protected by massive walls up to 50 feet thick. . . The Hanging Gardens . . on several tiers of arches, one over another, each bearing a solid platform; 400 feet square; terraces and top covered with flowers, shrubs and trees, watered from reservoir at the top, the water raised from the river by hydraulic pumps. Underneath the arches were luxurious apartments, the pleasure ground of the palace. On both sides of the processional street were defensive walls 20 feet thick, adorned with brilliant, many coloured glazed reliefs of lions. The street was paved with stone slabs 3 feet square. After Alexander the Great the city declined. By the time of Christ it’s political and commercial supremacy had gone and in 1st century AD the greater part was in ruins. . . .still uninhabited – a remarkable fulfilment of prophecy. The Empire last 70 years. Daniel was there from it’s rise to it’s fall (under 6 Babylonian kings into the reign of Cyrus of Persia).

Re: My Daily BIble Study - Daniel (2)

Daniel 1 + 2

What does the text say? - Some young men from royal and noble families that were taken to Babylon with king Jehoiakim, who were good-looking and gifted in knowledge and understanding, were selected to be trained to serve king Nebuchadnezzar, among them were Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, who the chief of eunuchs renamed Belteshazzar, Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego. They were given the same food the king ate and drank, but Daniel was determined not to defile himself by having some of these things, so asked to have only water and vegetables; as the 4 of them seemed healthy after 10 days they were allowed to continue with that diet. After 3 years the 4 Jewish youths were more knowledgeable than the kings astrologers and magicians, so were chosen to serve the king. Nebuchadnezzar had a dream that he wanted interpreted, but he refused to tell his advisors what his dream was. As the magicians and astrologers couldn’t tell the king what his dream had been he ordered them all killed, but Daniel asked for time to discover the dream; he and his 3 friends prayed and God told Daniel the dream and explained to him what it meant. Daniel told the king, who then declared the Lord God the God of gods and promoted Daniel, making him ruler over Babylon and chief over all his wise men. At Daniel’s request Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego were made the highest officials in Babylon, while Daniel remained in the palace.

Application? – Have I always made the most of opportunities I have been given? Have I always been faithful to the Lord whatever my circumstances? Do I always trust the Lord? Do I always recognise His Voice when He speaks to me?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”the four world empires here predicted are generally understood to have been the Babylonian, Persian, Greek and Roman. From the days of Daniel to the coming of Christ . . .who set up a Kingdom which starting as a grain of mustard seed . . .gives every evidence of being an everlasting Kingdom that will blossom into full Glory at the Lord’s return.

Daniel 3

What does the text say? – Nebuchadnezzar had an image, 90ft. tall and 9 ft. wide, erected and said all the officials in his kingdom must gather there for it’s dedication. When they were all gathered they were told that when the music was played they must fall down and worship the image; anyone who did not worship it would be thrown into a burning fiery furnace. As Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego didn’t worship the image they were tied up and thrown into a furnace. The men who threw them in were killed by the fire, but the 3 Jews were unharmed. Nebuchadnezzar saw 4 men walking around in the flames and thought one was the Son of God. the king called Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego out of the fire and discovered they didn’t even smell singed, he made a decree that if anyone said anything against the God of the Jews they, and their property, would be destroyed.

Application? – Am I faithful to Almighty God under all circumstance? The Lord will never leave me if I am faithful to Him.

Quote :- (Henry H. Halley)”According to the Septuagint this incident occurred . . . about 20 years after Daniel and his 3 friends arrived in Babylon. . . the same year that Nebuchadnezzar burned Jerusalem.”

Daniel 4

What does the text say? – Nebuchadnezzar had a Vision that troubled him. None of his wise men, astrologers, magicians, or soothsayers could tell him what it meant. Then he told Daniel his dream of a tall tree that gave shade and food for all, a Holy One came from heaven and ordered the tree to be cut down and the stump bound with iron and bronze, and ordered the man to become like an animal so everyone would know the Most High rules mankind and decides who will rule. Daniel said the tree was Nebuchadnezzar, the Holy One had decreed that he would become like and animal until he acknowledges that God rules over all, then his kingdom will be restored to him. Daniel advised the king to become righteous and show mercy to the poor to prolong his prosperity. A year later Nebuchadnezzar was speaking of his pride in his achievements when a Voice from heaven told him he would act like an ox for 7 times, then he would acknowledge God’s Rule on earth. This happened, then after 7 times he became sane again knowing that it is Almighty God who has Power over even the most powerful person and their pride.

Application? – Do I fully realise that everything I might achieve is only through the Grace of God, and is not cause for pride on my part? Do I realise how offensive pride is to the Lord?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)” ’times’ means ‘seasons’. . . in Babylonia summer and winter were the only seasons counted, according to which it would be 3½ years.”

Daniel 5

What does the text say? – Belshazzar the king, at a feast, commanded the cups his ancestor Nebuchadnezzar had taken from the Temple in Jerusalem to be brought for his concubines to drink from, to praise their gods/idols. Within an hour a hand appeared and wrote on the wall ‘mene, mene, tekel, upharsin’. Belshazzar was very worried; his wise men couldn’t tell him what the words meant. The queen remembered that Daniel (now an old man) had interpreted dreams for Belshazzar’s ancestor Nebuchadnezzar. Daniel was fetched and told that if he interpreted the words he would be made 3rd ruler in the kingdom (Belshazzar was co-regent with his father Nabonidas). Daniel reminded Belshazzar that God had humbled Nebuchadnezzar until he acknowledged His Power, but Belshazzar had defied God and used His cups to worship his idols but God, who controls his destiny, he had not honoured. The writing meant ‘Mene’ - God has brought his kingdom to an end, ‘Tekel’ - he has been weighed and has weighed too little, ‘Upharsin’ – his kingdom has been divided between the Medes and the Persians. Then Daniel was made 3rd ruler of the Kingdom. That night Belshazzar was killed and Darius, the Mede, became king.

Application? – Does anything I do dishonour Almighty God? Do I fully realise God controls my destiny, both in this world and the next?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”the fall of Babylon was related by Herodotus thus “Cyrus diverted the Euphrates into a new channel and, guided by two deserters, marched by the dry river-bed into the city, while the Babylonians were carousing at a feast of their gods.” Inscriptions found. . . state that the Persian army, under Gobryas, took Babylon without a battle, that he killed the son of the king; that Cyrus entered later. Darius, who reigned in Babylon till Cyrus took over . . .is thought to have been either Gobryas, or as Josephus says, Cyaxares the Median father in law of Cyrus. (to have a native and Babylonian name was common) Whether Darius was father-in–law to Cyrus or one of his generals, he led the army that conquered Babylon while Cyrus was busy with northern and western wars.”

Daniel 6

What does the text say? – Darius divided the kingdom into 120 provinces and appointed administrators over each province, he also appointed Daniel and 2 other men as governors over the administrators to protect the king’s interests. Daniel proved himself more capable than the others so the king planed to make him the highest official in the kingdom. The other leaders tried to find a fault in Daniel, but could not as he was always faithful, responsible and completely trustworthy; so they persuaded the king to make an unbreakable law that if anyone prayed to any one or any thing other than the king, for the next 30 days, they must be thrown to the lions. Knowing of the law Daniel still prayed at an open window facing Jerusalem 3 times each day. The other officials told the king, who couldn’t think of a way of saving Daniel, so he was thrown to the lions. The king spent a sleepless night, and early next morning he went to see if Daniel’s God had saved him. Almighty God had sent His angels to prevent the lions harming him; then the king ordered Daniel pulled out of the pit and the officials who had plotted against him, and their families, thrown to the lions – who immediately killed them. Then Darius ordered everyone in his kingdom to worship Daniel’s God, for He lives and His Kingdom will never be destroyed.

Application? – Do I consider the full implications of decisions I am about to make? Am I always faithful, responsible and completely trustworthy in my secular job? Am I always 100% faithful to Almighty God, regardless of possible consequences?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley) “Daniel had been a high officer of the Babylonian Empire throughout it’s whole 70 years, and though now a very old man, probably over 90, Darius placed him in charge of the Babylonian government . . .what a compliment to his wisdom, integrity and fairness. Yet he was unswerving in his personal devotion to his own God.
    Last edited by Frances; Dec 29th 2011 at 03:02 PM.

Daniel 7

What does the text say? - In the 1st year Belshazzar was king of Babylon Daniel had dreams and Visions of 4 huge beasts that greatly disturbed him. The first beast was like a lion with eagle’s wings that were pulled off and it stood like a man and was given a man’s heart, the 2nd beast was like a bear with 3 ribs in it’s mouth, another like a leopard with 4 wings, 4 eyes and great authority, the 4th was dreadful and terrible with huge iron teeth and 10 horns that trampled it’s victims underfoot; as Daniel watched another little horn grew and 3 of the others; this horn had a mouth and boasted arrogantly. Then the Ancient of Days sat on His Throne with 100,000,000 people attending him, and the Books were opened. The boastful beast was killed and the other beast’s power was removed; then one ‘like the Son of Man’ was given an everlasting Kingdom that will never be destroyed. Daniel asked for the interpretation of the Visions – the 4 bests were 4 rulers, the Holy people of the Most High will be given the Kingdom and rule forever. The 4th beast, the 4th world power, will trample and crush everything in it’s path, it’s 10 horns are 10 kings who will rule that empire, then one will subdue 3 of them and defy the Most High and oppress His people, then the sovereignty, power and greatness of all the kingdoms will be given to the people of the Most High and they will obey Him forever.

Application? – Do I have reason to fear God’s Judgement or do I always obey Him?

Quote:- Henry H. Halley)”We think no one interpretation can exhaust the meaning of these time marks of Daniel. Possibly they may be taken literally, symbolically and figuratively. Possible they may have primary fulfilment in an event of history, secondary fulfilment in another event, and ultimate fulfilment at the time of the end. . . . We should not be too disappointed if we fail to understand.

Daniel 8

What does the text say? – In Belshazzar’s 3rd year as king Daniel had another Vision – he was at the river Ulai by the fortress of Susa, and saw a ram with 2 horns one higher than the other. The ram removed everything out of it’s way, he did as he pleased and became great. Suddenly a male goat with one very large horn appeared; it charged the ram, broke it’s horns and trampled it. The goat became very powerful, then it’s horn was broken and 4 horns grew in it’s place, pointing north, south, east, and west – then from one horn came another horn that attacked the host of Heaven, throwing some of them and some stars to the ground, and even challenged the Commander of Heaven’s army’s by stopping the daily sacrifices, destroying His Temple and overthrowing Truth. The Lord allowed this to last for 2,300 evenings and mornings. A Voice told Gabriel to tell Daniel the meaning of the Vision; Daniel was afraid as Gabriel approached and fainted, so Gabriel helped him to his feet and told him that what he had seen related to the end of Time – the Greek empire would break into 4 kingdoms, then a master of intrigue will rise to power, he will cause awful destruction, he will destroy powerful leaders and the holy people; his power will be broken, but not by human power. Daniel was ill for several days and continued to be troubled because he didn’t understand the Vision.

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”The 2 horned ram was the Medes and Persians. The great horn was Alexander the Great who broke the Persian empire 331 BC. This prophecy was written in 539BC, 200 years before it’s fulfilment. It is a remarkable prediction of a clash, and the outcome, of two world empires, neither of which had, at the time of the prediction, yet arisen. Four horns . . .were 4 kingdoms into which Alexander’s empire was divided. The little horn which grew out of the 4 is generally agreed to mean Antiochus Epiphanes (175 – 164 BC), of the Syrian branch of the Greek empire, who made a determined effort to stamp out the Jewish religion – yet the repeated phrase ‘time of the end’ . . . there may have been the ominous outline of a far more terrible Destroyer to mar the closing days of history, of whom Antiochus was a symbolic forerunner.”

Daniel 9

What does the text say? - In the 1st year that Darius was king of Babylon Daniel realised, from reading God’s Word to Jeremiah, that Jerusalem would be desolate for 70 years, so he prayed and confessed the Sins of his nation, and because the Lord is righteous Daniel asked that He would forgive His people. While he was still praying Gabriel arrived and told him his prayer had been answered as soon as he began to pray, then Gabriel told him the interpretation of Jeremiah’s prophecy.

Application? – Do I understand the prophecies yet to be fulfilled in the Bible, and pray them into being?

Quote:- (Henry H. Halley)”The Captivity . . . had lasted 70 years. Daniel is here told by the angel that it would yet be ’70 weeks’ till the coming of the Messiah. . . 490 years. . . The date from which the 70 weeks were to be counted was the decree to build Jerusalem. There were 3 decrees issued by Persian kings for this purpose (536 BC, 457 BC, 444 BC., see under Ezra) The principle one was 457 BC. The 70 weeks is sub-divided into 7 weeks, 62 weeks, and 1 week . . .the commonly accepted interpretation, 483 years. This 483 years is the period between the decree to rebuild Jerusalem and the coming of the ‘Anointed One’. . . adding 483 years to 457 BC brings us to AD 26, the very year that Jesus was baptised and began His public Ministry. . . Further, within 3 ½ years Jesus was crucified . . purged away Sin and brought in everlasting righteousness. . . Some think that God’s chronology was suspended at the death of Christ, to remain so while Israel is scattered, and that the last half of the ‘one week’ belongs to the time of the end.”

Quote:- (David Pawson)”So there was a huge gap in time between the 69th 7 and the 70th 7. . . According to the text, a pact will be enforced and a treaty with Israel will be under threat. During this time persecution will be especially fierce. Sacrifices will cease and the temple will be desecrated in the same manner as at the time of Antiochus Epiphanes, which implies that it must have been rebuilt at some point.”

Daniel 10 - 12

What does the text say? – In the 3rd year that Cyrus was king of Persia, Daniel was beside the river Tigris on April 23rd, after he had been fasting from all ‘pleasant’ food and praying for 3 weeks, when he saw a magnificent Man shining like jewels, with an amazing Voice, which only Daniel heard as those with him had run away in fear. The man said that from the 1st day Daniel had humbled himself and prayed for understanding his request had been heard in Heaven and he had been sent to explain what would happen in later days, but for 21 days the prince of Persia had blocked his way, until Arch-angel Michael had come to help him. Daniel was filled with anguish because of what he had seen in his Vision. The magnificent man told Daniel not to be afraid as he was very precious to God, and he would tell him what was written in the Book of Truth. 3 more Persian kings would reign, then the 4th would fight against Greece. Then another king would rule with power but at the height of his power his kingdom would be broken in 4 pieces. The kings of the North and South would fight each other, eventually the end would come at the appointed time. After a time of trouble worse than any since nations came into being, those who lead many to righteousness will shine like stars. Many of the dead will rise, some to everlasting Life and some to everlasting disgrace. This will be finished when the power of the Lord’s people has been completely shattered.

Application? – Daniel refused the apparently ‘good’ things the king offered him as a young man, so when he was confronted with going God’s Way or going against Him, he had not already compromised his situation. If I never accept the ‘good’ things the world offers, I will have the strength to resist the Evil that ‘good’ would have drawn me into.

most teach the gap theory between the 69th and 70th week, however, from looking at the chapter as a whole the proper rendering should be that this 70 weeks of years should be taken as one complete time period. Daniel was reading Jeremiah's 70 year prophecy. There was no gap of 2,000 years between the 69th and 70th year of his prophecy, it was one time period. I can find no other instance in the prophets where a gap is inserted into a prophecy concerning time.

Thread Information