cure-real

Thread: Morality of Slavery

Morality of Slavery

If the bible DOES condone slavery (Titus 2:9-10) as morally acceptable, why has the majority of society deemed it immoral? Does that not indicate that we as humans have a higher sense of morality now than we did when the Bible was written?

If the bible DOES NOT condone slavery (Exodus 21:16) and states that it is immoral, why was it acceptable in the United States, (among many other places) for 200 years by a population of people that held the readings of the bible to highest regard. Please donít use free will as an answer.

This question sparked another questions. If the bible is a reference for mortality. Why are the passages up for Interpretation?

Blog Entries

Re: Morality of Slavery

Quote Originally Posted by jfoukes84 View Post
    If the bible DOES condone slavery (Titus 2:9-10) as morally acceptable, why has the majority of society deemed it immoral? Does that not indicate that we as humans have a higher sense of morality now than we did when the Bible was written?

If the bible DOES NOT condone slavery (Exodus 21:16) and states that it is immoral, why was it acceptable in the United States, (among many other places) for 200 years by a population of people that held the readings of the bible to highest regard. Please don’t use free will as an answer.

This question sparked another questions. If the bible is a reference for mortality. Why are the passages up for Interpretation?
    First we need to make sure your definition of slavery lines up with the Bible's definition of slavery.

What do you thing slavery is?

My definition of slavery is: Slavery is a system under which people are treated as property to be bought and sold.

This definition applies to both the American slavery system and ancient Rome system of slavery.

what is the bibles definition of slavery?

Blog Entries

Keck was smart in asking for a definition, often we impose our modern understanding on an ancient concept. Adoption today is NOT what it meant back then, nor is slavery. Yes in some cultures people were property, but in others they were part of the family. In fact, didn't Paul use "slave to Christ" which means there is a level of abstractness that can be applied under certain conditions. Good topic though!

Biblical slavery was not the same thing as what we had in the U.S.

People in the U.S. may have been bible readers, but they showed an inability to grasp what Jesus taught. I fear that they just used the word slavery the same way people do now. Man has been a fallen creature for thousands of years, and when man chose to operate with slaves, it was a business decision. Not all slave masters were evil in the way they treated their slaves, though some were. It came from their hearts then just as our actions do today.

It used to be that people sold themselves into "slavery" in order to survive or pay off a large debt. When we choose to become children of God, we also choose to be slaves in order to pay off a large debt. (There is a lot more that could be said along this line, but I'll leave it at this for now.)

It used to be that the captured enemies were taken into slavery. I know of no scripture that showed the God approves of the concept, but God did give us instructions on how to act - even when we were slaves.

Reading the bible does not mean that we also understand the message. There has never been a shortage of people who try to justify their behavior through misapplication of scripture. Slavery was one of those applications.
    Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
    George Orwell

jfoukes84,

Welcome to Bible Forums. Since you are not a Christian you can only post in certain sections of the board. I'm going to move this thread to one of them "Christians Answer" with a thread redirect. I hope you stick around and get the answers you're searching for.

God bless!

(Please read the link below )

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.ph...r-5-2010%29-**
    Just as I am, without one plea, but that thy blood
    was shed for me, and that thou bidst me come to thee,
    Lamb of God, I come, I come.

If the bible DOES NOT condone slavery (Exodus 21:16) and states that it is immoral, why was it acceptable in the United States, (among many other places) for 200 years by a population of people that held the readings of the bible to highest regard. Please don’t use free will as an answer.

Bible does neither approve nor condone slavery. Slavery is slavery and slavery is evil. The Lord calls slavery as highly deplorable. That is why he came down from heaven to redeem us, liberate us, free us from bondages of sin and affliction (of his own curses).

Slavery is the real face of Real EVIL. The Lord subjected his chosen people into slavery / oppression in order to discipline them, teach them obedience, make them understand righteousness and make them learn to accept a master(God) when he delivers them. Jews in Egypt under slavery is no worse than Christians in the World under the yoke of slavery. Becasue the Lord is God above and he watches over his people; he causes his people to remain in the favourable eyes of their slave drivers / masters / or managers.

The irony is in man's definition of slavery. Man okays anything if the payment in return is handsome. For, a well paid job is not slavery 'irrespective of the hard work and toil' in his understanding. High end prostitution is not slavery because she charges handsome! Remember "Man is a slave to what / who has mastered him (2 Peter 2:19)"

I can't quote Bible verses to establish that slavery is evil else I will have to quote the entire Bible. We will be free in his Kingdom.

There is no deliverance until the Son of Man delivers. (John 8:36)

I know this is an insufficient reply to someone who is not a Christian. I request him to have patience and let him focus more on deliverance and redemption while learning Bible. Do not just look for morality in Bible. You do not need Bible to hold moral high grounds. When you look for morality in the Bible; you will soon stumble upon things that morality cannot explain.

Instead of MORALITY; you may hold this paradigm "Everything is fair in LOVE and WAR." 'IMMORTALITY' from the Bible is what makes you a winner!

My definition of slavery is: Slavery is a system under which people are treated as property to be bought and sold.

This definition applies to both the American slavery system and ancient Rome system of slavery.

what is the bibles definition of slavery?
    I always wonder the same thing.

Christ being the only Master.

I believe that slavery is condoned in the Bible for any that are not Jews or Christians.

There is an OT passage that says that a Jew that will sell his brethren should be killed as punishment. Maybe that means that all except Jews can make Jews slaves, but I doubt that.

If you believe that slaves don't own weapons, and Roman slaves did not, then the command to buy a weapon by Jesus, if you take that seriously, precludes your becoming a slave. Also, Paul said that you have been purchased for a price, by Christ, therefore, be not the servants of other men. Again, if your definition of servant includes slavery.
    PROV 21:3 To do righteousness and justice Is more acceptable to Jehovah than sacrifice.-American Standard Version 1901

MT 24:43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.

As opposed to the bad man that does nothing?

AMOS 6:3 Ye that put far away the evil day, and cause the seat of violence to come near;

GAL 4:25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

Thread Information