cure-real
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Angels use swords?

Re: Angels use swords?

Quote Originally Posted by Adstars View Post
    You assume men invented the idea of swords. Why do you think that the idea for swords came from man? Maybe the idea came to man from angels.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days
    I guess we got the idea for AK-47's from Angels as well? Have they upgraded their equipment yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffinator View Post
    I guess we got the idea for AK-47's from Angels as well? Have they upgraded their equipment yet?
    Why reply with such sarcasm.

I doubt the Angels need anything more than flaming swords. a Nuclear weapon could not take an Angel out let alone an AK-47. No weapons made by men shall work against Angels.

Isaiah 54
    17 No weapon formed against you shall prosper, And every tongue which rises against you in judgment You shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, And their righteousness is from Me,” Says the LORD.

Quote Originally Posted by Adstars View Post
    Why reply with such sarcasm.

I doubt the Angels need anything more than flaming swords. a Nuclear weapon could not take an Angel out let alone an AK-47. No weapons made by men shall work against Angels.

Isaiah 54
    17 No weapon formed against you shall prosper, And every tongue which rises against you in judgment You shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, And their righteousness is from Me,” Says the LORD.

My point was that the depiction of Angelic beings carrying sharpened blades in order to strike fear into the average human being is a bit strange. Many verses throughout the Bible also dont describe the sword as being anything else but a sword, no flames of any sort. I mean what next, they will carry shields and a helm in case we try to invade heaven? (sorry for the sarcasm, just trying to get my point across). Just seems more plausible to me that we would perceive these entities as having things as opposed them actually obtaining man made tools.

Blog Entries

I know sarcasm isn't the best tool to use, but this I found funny

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Sarcasm is not the best tool to use Period.

If people want to continue in mocking sarcasm then it's time to move on.

All Praise The Ancient of Days

The following is just personnel assumption based on how I see it.

Angels with swords.

Why would that seem so strange? If you think about it God has made an effort to do things in a way that we can comprehend them. One time an angel appears with a continence so awesome that it causes the human that sees him to be stricken with the fear of God and he falls down with his face in the dirt.

Other times angels appeared in the "heavens" and spoke from above.

Another time an angel appeared as the commander of the Lord's army and gave instruction on how to defeat the enemy for the glory of God. The walls of Jericho fell.

And other things besides angels with swords as well.

A garden were man began. An Ark a terrible flood that covered the world and a new beginning. A pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night. A burning bush. Blood on the doorway so that the angel of death would pass over. A man swallowed by a whale and transported to another place to come forth from the whale to do the work of the Lord.

The Ark of the Covenant.

I think that things transpired the way the did because God wanted to do things so that our finite minds could in some way understand. I think that God the creator did things in such a way so that His created would remember them forever. Who better to know how to arrange things so that generations ever after would talk about them, write about them, pray about them, fear some things and weep for joy over other things.

God did these things in such a way that they would be imprinted upon our hearts as a wonder. So that we would think of them and rejoice at the majesty and hope of our awesome God.

Such simple things for God to do but so awesome and miraculous for us to behold and sing about.

That is how songs such as this come about:

Said the night wind to the little lamb
    Do you see what I see
    Way up in the sky little lamb
    Do you see what I see
    A star, a star
    Dancing in the night
    With a tail as big as a kite
    With a tail as big as a kite

Said the little lamb to the shepard boy
    Do you hear what I hear
    Ringing through the sky shepard boy
    Do you hear what I hear
    A song, a song
    High above the tree
    With a voice as big as the sea
    With a voice as big as the sea

Said the shepard boy to the mighty king
    Do you know what I know
    In your palace wall mighty king
    Do you know what I know
    A child, a child
    Shivers in the cold
    Let us bring him silver and gold
    Let us bring him silver and gold

Said the king to the people everywhere
    Listen to what I say
    Pray for peace people everywhere
    Listen to what I say
    The child, the child
    Sleeping in the night
    He will bring us goodness and light

The child, the child
    Sleeping in the night
    ----------------------------------------

Each of these events taken by themselves would be talked about forever. We understand what happened

An angel appeared with a sword

And why it happened:

God sent him

And then we marvel at how it happened forever.

All part of God's plan.
    Just as I am, without one plea, but that thy blood
    was shed for me, and that thou bidst me come to thee,
    Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Why not search the scriptures for other flaming swords and see what shows up? Perhaps from that, we can learn something. Swords can represent different things in scripture. IMO, the sword of Goliath is representative of depending on the flesh. The Word of God is also referred to as a sword. Maybe a flaming sword can mean something too.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

If I saw an angel with a sword of any kind coming at me, I would be concerned. I would not think, 'angels don't have organs', I would be thinking 'I have organs'.
    My point is, if angels use actual swords, it probably is not against each other anyway. Any time an angel appeared to man, it was for his benefit/influence. Thus, the appearance of an angel with a sword would cause the man to fear for his life. Swords are quite effective against us.
    But, as Ta-An said, their communication is designed for our understanding.
    As to angels having organs, bodies, etc. Every single appearance of an angel in scripture was that of a man. They sat with Abraham and ate. They walked on the ground. They entered Sodom, and the people of Sodom wanted to have sex with them.
    So they can appear as men. But I'm wondering what they look like normally? Any ideas? The only descriptions in the Word describe them as being like men, except for the cherubim with the six wings and heads like bulls, eagles, and lions.
    Jesus said that the angels that are in heaven don't get married. He didn't say that they can't, just that they don't. He didn't say anything at all about their physical makeup, or their physical abilities.
    Just some thoughts........

Thank you for your replies this far guys. I guess it could just be that God used the things we knew and are common to get a point across.

Sorry for bumping the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by markedward View Post
    I'll be more clear:

How do you know 'angels don't have' swords, since you say so matter-of-factly?

How do you know angels 'live in a different dimension or reality'? How does that inherently argue against their use of swords?

How do you know angels 'don't need these things'? What evidence do you have that they don't need them?

How do you know 'angels can have any form'? Where does Scripture ever suggest this?

How do you know angels don't have 'organs'? Well, you say they 'most likely don't have' them. Have you seen an angel? Touched one? Seen his lack of organs? Followed him to his own 'dimension or reality' to see what angelic life is actually like? They apparently eat (the 'manna' bread), so you've verified they don't need to digest and excrete the discharge?

How do you know angels use swords 'to kill each other'? Scripture doesn't say that this is what they use swords for, so how can you use this as an objection?

Do you also object to God having a 'throne'? To Jesus opening a 'scroll'? To angels blowing 'trumpets'? To heavenly armies riding 'chariots'? To divine messengers wearing 'white robes'?

A sword is just a long, sharpened piece of whatever (wood, stone, metal, fire) on a handle. Since we don't know anything about angels beyond brief, undetailed appearances of them in Scripture, who's to say they don't use swords? Or that earthly swords were based on heavenly weapons (e.g. cherub holding a sword in Genesis 3)? Or that their 'sword' functions identically to our 'sword'? Or that the 'sword' we see them holding is a physical representation of something that isn't literally a 'sword' but is functionally equivalent?

All in all, most of your objections are assumptions.

If you don't know what angels actually look like, whether they have organs, whether they can suffer wounds from swords, whether they can take any form... if you don't know any details beyond tiny descriptions in Scripture... you can't honestly object to their use of a 'sword'... right?
    I can give you the answer to one of the questions; How do you know 'angels can have any form'? Where does Scripture ever suggest this?
    Acts 7:30
    Ezekiel 10:4
    Ezekiel 10:18-19
    Acts 12:7
    2 Corinthians 11:14
    Revelation 18:1
    Daniel 10:5
    Isaiah 6:2
    Ezekiel 10:14

Also "How do you know angels use swords 'to kill each other'? Scripture doesn't say that this is what they use swords for, so how can you use this as an objection?"
    The CCC 329 states that "Angel" is what they do and "Spirit" is what they are.
    So If they are spirits then they have no matter; their wars against each other would be fought intellectually instead.

I have just been reading about Angels having no matter and have a few questions myself that i will be asking at a church meeting this week

God bless
    Last edited by Jeja; Dec 4th 2012 at 04:01 PM.

Pardon my mocking sarcasm, but:

Weapons being held by righteous beings? Shocking, positively shocking!
    PROV 21:3 To do righteousness and justice Is more acceptable to Jehovah than sacrifice.-American Standard Version 1901

MT 24:43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.

As opposed to the bad man that does nothing?

AMOS 6:3 Ye that put far away the evil day, and cause the seat of violence to come near;

GAL 4:25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

An example being Numbers 22:31 "Then the LORD opened Balaam's eyes, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the road with his sword drawn. So he bowed low and fell facedown."

Why a sword? A human tool.
    I wish many more would be convinced that God and His angles use swords. If they did, perhaps, humans would leave the physical war up to Him & His angles, who truly know exactly who to strike down!

Thank you for your replies this far guys. I guess it could just be that God used the things we knew and are common to get a point across.
    Throughout scripture the sword is two things. Both can be seen in Romans 13:4
    1. It is a threat. It says; "be afraid"
    2. It is the means by which the threat is carried out. It says; "he is an avenger"

We see the same again in Hebrews 4:11-12

1. We are admonished to "labor". Why? There is a "sword" that can do things.
    2. What can the "sword" do? Kill! When the spirit is severed from the soul the man is dead. Ask Ananias and Saphira.

Balaam had positioned himself as an adversary of God and His people. At this apparition he suddenly takes precise notice. If the angel had been carrying a scroll I don't think that Balaam would have taken such immediate and subservient posture.

Blog Entries

Swords are used to cut flesh, something Angels don't have; why would they use one? They live in a different dimension or reality, they dont need these things.
    A physical sword cuts flesh, perhaps a spiritual sword cuts something else?
    24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
    I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
    I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
    1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    Throughout scripture the sword is two things. Both can be seen in Romans 13:4
    1. It is a threat. It says; "be afraid"
    2. It is the means by which the threat is carried out. It says; "he is an avenger"

We see the same again in Hebrews 4:11-12

1. We are admonished to "labor". Why? There is a "sword" that can do things.
    2. What can the "sword" do? Kill! When the spirit is severed from the soul the man is dead. Ask Ananias and Saphira.

Balaam had positioned himself as an adversary of God and His people. At this apparition he suddenly takes precise notice. If the angel had been carrying a scroll I don't think that Balaam would have taken such immediate and subservient posture.
    I think the sword spoken of in Rom 13, was not the sword that the angel had, so perhaps taking the Rom 13 sword into account is slightly off this thread?

Thread Information