cure-real
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 62

Thread: State of Israel and blessings

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wherever the Lord places me
    Posts
    34,484

    Re: State of Israel and blessings

    Quote Originally Posted by Luciano Vinci View Post
    Israel was Israel (overcomer, prince with God).
    Oh, and Israel means "struggles with God".
    As for Me, this is My covenant with them," says the LORD: "My Spirit who is on you, and My words that I have put in your mouth, will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouth of your children, or from the mouth of your children's children, from now on and forever," says the LORD.


    Isaiah 59:21

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    17,896
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: State of Israel and blessings

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Oh, and Israel means "struggles with God".
    Correct (Jacob's wrestling match).

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    299

    Re: State of Israel and blessings

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Which prophets "leveled tons of curses upon Israel"
    I guess the definition of what a curse might be here (or what blessing is for that matter), maybe what I am not understanding.

    God implicitly told Jeremiah to stop praying and interceding for the nation (Jer. 7:16 and several other places), and that He would not hear his prayer, because God was about to bring down some doom and gloom (curses, in my opinion) upon them.

    I am not saying that praying for the nation of Israel is a bad thing, just that the blessing we get for our prayers and financial gifts, is no more or less different than if we pray for America or Egypt or Italy. We should be blessing the household of faith primarily, the Israel of God (Gal. 6:10, 16), if we want a return on our blessing.

  4. #19

    Re: State of Israel and blessings

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Oh, and Israel means "struggles with God".
    No, it means "God prevails" from the hebrew word El meaning God, and the word śârâh which means "to prevail".....ie: God prevails not "struggles with God"

  5. #20

    Re: State of Israel and blessings

    Quote Originally Posted by Luciano Vinci View Post
    I am not saying that praying for the nation of Israel is a bad thing, just that the blessing we get for our prayers and financial gifts, is no more or less different than if we pray for America or Egypt or Italy.
    It depends what you are praying for exactly. Pray that they are able to come to the Messiah, and pray for all nations not only one.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    17,896
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: State of Israel and blessings

    Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    No, it means "God prevails" from the hebrew word El meaning God, and the word śârâh which means "to prevail".....ie: God prevails not "struggles with God"
    In an etimological sense, perhaps. But contextually in Genesis 32:28 you are incorrect. In this context it means "to stive or struggle" not "God prevails." The text even says so -

    28 And He said, “Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel;[b] for you have struggled with God and with men, and have prevailed.”

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    17,896
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: State of Israel and blessings

    Quote Originally Posted by Luciano Vinci View Post
    I guess the definition of what a curse might be here (or what blessing is for that matter), maybe what I am not understanding.

    God implicitly told Jeremiah to stop praying and interceding for the nation (Jer. 7:16 and several other places), and that He would not hear his prayer, because God was about to bring down some doom and gloom (curses, in my opinion) upon them.

    I am not saying that praying for the nation of Israel is a bad thing, just that the blessing we get for our prayers and financial gifts, is no more or less different than if we pray for America or Egypt or Italy. We should be blessing the household of faith primarily, the Israel of God (Gal. 6:10, 16), if we want a return on our blessing.
    Except that God is explicit in His Word about this and God doesn't go willy-nilly changing definitions.

  8. #23

    Re: State of Israel and blessings

    Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    In an etimological sense, perhaps. But contextually in Genesis 32:28 you are incorrect. In this context it means "to stive or struggle" not "God prevails." The text even says so -

    28 And He said, “Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel;[b] for you have struggled with God and with men, and have prevailed.”
    We are talking about what the name Israel means, not the circumstances of why the name change occurred. Israel means, "God prevails".

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wherever the Lord places me
    Posts
    34,484

    Re: State of Israel and blessings

    Quote Originally Posted by Luciano Vinci View Post
    I guess the definition of what a curse might be here (or what blessing is for that matter), maybe what I am not understanding.

    God implicitly told Jeremiah to stop praying and interceding for the nation (Jer. 7:16 and several other places), and that He would not hear his prayer, because God was about to bring down some doom and gloom (curses, in my opinion) upon them.
    But that was really God cursing Israel, not man.

    And there are no Jewish prophets who did not also offer words of consolation.
    As for Me, this is My covenant with them," says the LORD: "My Spirit who is on you, and My words that I have put in your mouth, will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouth of your children, or from the mouth of your children's children, from now on and forever," says the LORD.


    Isaiah 59:21

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wherever the Lord places me
    Posts
    34,484

    Re: State of Israel and blessings

    Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    No, it means "God prevails" from the hebrew word El meaning God, and the word śârâh which means "to prevail".....ie: God prevails not "struggles with God"
    Almost no one translates it that way, including Christian bibles.

    For example:

    NIV Then the man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome."

    NLT "Your name will no longer be Jacob," the man told him. "From now on you will be called Israel, because you have fought with God and with men and have won."

    ESV Then he said, “Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed.”

    NASB He said, "Your name shall no longer be Jacob, but Israel; for you have striven with God and with men and have prevailed."

    God's Word Translation The man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob but Israel [He Struggles With God], because you have struggled with God and with men-and you have won."

    ASV And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for thou hast striven with God and with men, and hast prevailed.

    Darby And he said, Thy name shall not henceforth be called Jacob, but Israel; for thou hast wrestled with God, and with men, and hast prevailed.

    ERV And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for thou hast striven with God and with men, and hast prevailed.

    The word in question isn't "Sarah" it's "Sarisa", a unique word that only appears in this context.

    Use common sense and glean it's meaning from the context.

    Jacob just had a fight with some heavenly being. The being says "Your name is Israel, for you have "Sarisa" [unknown word] with God and man, and prevailed".

    He just "struggled", so the context tells us what we need to know.
    As for Me, this is My covenant with them," says the LORD: "My Spirit who is on you, and My words that I have put in your mouth, will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouth of your children, or from the mouth of your children's children, from now on and forever," says the LORD.


    Isaiah 59:21

  11. #26

    Re: State of Israel and blessings

    The issue isn't the translation of that verse but what the name Israel means.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Almost no one translates it that way, including Christian bibles.

    For example:

    NIV Then the man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome."

    NLT "Your name will no longer be Jacob," the man told him. "From now on you will be called Israel, because you have fought with God and with men and have won."

    ESV Then he said, “Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed.”

    NASB He said, "Your name shall no longer be Jacob, but Israel; for you have striven with God and with men and have prevailed."

    God's Word Translation The man said, "Your name will no longer be Jacob but Israel [He Struggles With God], because you have struggled with God and with men-and you have won."

    ASV And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for thou hast striven with God and with men, and hast prevailed.

    Darby And he said, Thy name shall not henceforth be called Jacob, but Israel; for thou hast wrestled with God, and with men, and hast prevailed.

    ERV And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for thou hast striven with God and with men, and hast prevailed.

    The word in question isn't "Sarah" it's "Sarisa", a unique word that only appears in this context.

    Use common sense and glean it's meaning from the context.

    Jacob just had a fight with some heavenly being. The being says "Your name is Israel, for you have "Sarisa" [unknown word] with God and man, and prevailed".

    He just "struggled", so the context tells us what we need to know.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wherever the Lord places me
    Posts
    34,484

    Re: State of Israel and blessings

    Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    The issue isn't the translation of that verse but what the name Israel means.
    The verse is telling us what the name means.
    As for Me, this is My covenant with them," says the LORD: "My Spirit who is on you, and My words that I have put in your mouth, will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouth of your children, or from the mouth of your children's children, from now on and forever," says the LORD.


    Isaiah 59:21

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    299

    Re: State of Israel and blessings

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    The verse is telling us what the name means.
    I think we are looking at the wrong point. The fact is that he struggled with God as Jacob (supplanter, deceiver, etc.) is obvious, the fact that he as Israel prevailed should be the focus. I believe the point of the struggle was over the nature of Jacob. The fight with the man/angel/God changed that nature to one who prevails with God and man. If it just means struggle, then there is not much difference between Jacob's old nature and his nature after meeting God face to face. Something changed.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wherever the Lord places me
    Posts
    34,484

    Re: State of Israel and blessings

    Quote Originally Posted by Luciano Vinci View Post
    If it just means struggle, then there is not much difference between Jacob's old nature and his nature after meeting God face to face. Something changed.
    Who said that Jacob's nature changed?
    As for Me, this is My covenant with them," says the LORD: "My Spirit who is on you, and My words that I have put in your mouth, will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouth of your children, or from the mouth of your children's children, from now on and forever," says the LORD.


    Isaiah 59:21

  15. #30

    Re: State of Israel and blessings

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    The verse is telling us what the name means.

    It tells us why the name was changed, not it's actual meaning. The two words that were used to form the new word tells us what it means, God prevails...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 121
    Last Post: Jul 31st 2011, 01:25 PM
  2. Discussion True Israel or Natural Israel?
    By wpm in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 412
    Last Post: Oct 13th 2008, 08:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •