cure-real

Thread: Melchisadec

Melchisadec

Is Melchisadec an example of a Christophanie (appearance of Christ in the Old Testament) or just a type of Christ? And if just a type, who was this man? (I have heard someone say it was Shem, but I have never heard the reasoning for this assumption)

Re: Melchisadec

Its a mystery.
    He is like Christ because he is a priest king, and he serves bread and wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano Vinci View Post
    Is Melchisadec an example of a Christophanie (appearance of Christ in the Old Testament) or just a type of Christ? And if just a type, who was this man? (I have heard someone say it was Shem, but I have never heard the reasoning for this assumption)
    You have to ask yourself who is the king of righteousness, and who is the king of Peace. Jesus is the prince of peace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano Vinci View Post
    There is not that much known about him, and the more we try to guess at it the more confusion we get into. He was not an appearance of Christ in the OT. He was a priest and king, which is what Jesus is, our Priest and King. So it was a combination office that Melchizedek held and in that respect he was a type. He has no information regarding his parents, but that does not equate to him not having parents and when we use that, as some do, to put forth the argument that he must have been an appearance of Jesus in the OT, we stray even farther in the wrong direction..IMHO.

There is simply information that we are not given, and to start the guess work, IMHO, is not a good direction to go in. And even though that direction is usually a sincere one it can still lead to, in come cases, serious error.

Blog Entries

The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

Melchizedek was the king of Salem, a man. He is the first mention of a priest of God in the OT. (Salem From the hebrew word Shalem H8004, meaning peaceful. Shalem, an early name of Jerus.) His priesthood was before the Abram covenant and before the priesthood in the order and Aaron and before the law (of Moses). He bought out bread and wine, which I think reveals Gods plan of redemption even in the days of Genesis being symbolic of the last supper (Bread being Jesus body, wine being - blood of Jesus). Jesus could not possibly have a priesthood of in the order of Aaron (Heb 7:1-17) under the law, because Jesus fulfilled the law. Because Jesus was high priest after the order of Melchisadec there was a need for a change in the law as well as the priesthood (Heb 7:12). It is based on a better covenant and an permanent priesthood (Heb 7:22)

To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace; Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually. Hebrews 7:2-3
    Clearly, Melchizadek was not Shem. We know who Shem's father was.

Is this Melchizedek week or something?

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.ph...as-Melchizedek

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    Is this Melchizedek week or something?

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.ph...as-Melchizedek
    I am sorry for the start of a new thread. I didn't see there was another one already started.

Perhaps another way of asking the original question is: Was Melchisadec all man? Or was he some other mystical being (angel, Christ, a mix of man-God)? I know its not important that we know that. The fact that he is definitely a type of Christ, being priest and king, should satisfy. However, would love to know for sure.

Thread Information