cure-real

Thread: Please help - Is this a parable or story from the Bible?

Please help - Is this a parable or story from the Bible?

Hi. I am seeking Christ and remember a Sunday School service when I was a child where we read a passage which seemed to be a parable. It was a while ago (!) so it is really very hazy in my mind but has been on my mind for a long time now...

I think it is something along the lines of: a man has three sons and offers a reward to the one who can cross a field in the straightest line. Two of the sons use mathematical calculations and spend a long time trying to scientifically ensure that their line is straight. The final son picks out a tree at the other side of the field and simply walks towards it; it is him that crosses in the straightest line and receives the reward.

I cannot find this anywhere in the Bible and wonder if it was from a Christian book instead...

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I hope you have a wonderful day!
    Thank you in advance.

Blog Entries

Re: Please help - Is this a parable or story from the Bible?

Hi sundance! And a big welcome to you! Now about your question...this is neither a parable nor a story from the Bible that I know it. Maybe it was some point the teacher was trying to make.

Do you have a Bible, sundance? If not, there is a small square at the top left of each page here where you can go to 'Bible Search' to hunt for any verse you may be thinking about. It will help you, even if you only know the verse is in the Old or New Testament and only remember one or two words.

But also there is link right under that and it says READ BIBLE. There you can go and read.

I'm just curious, new friend. Why did you ask about that story? Any particular reason?
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post
    Hi sundance! And a big welcome to you! Now about your question...this is neither a parable nor a story from the Bible that I know it. Maybe it was some point the teacher was trying to make.

Do you have a Bible, sundance? If not, there is a small square at the top left of each page here where you can go to 'Bible Search' to hunt for any verse you may be thinking about. It will help you, even if you only know the verse is in the Old or New Testament and only remember one or two words.

But also there is link right under that and it says READ BIBLE. There you can go and read.

I'm just curious, new friend. Why did you ask about that story? Any particular reason?
    Sounds like a dig at science and modern knowledge.

Thanks so much for your response!
    I'm not sure why I was thinking about it. It seemed to relate to goals and how to best reach our goals, I think. I suppose we only ever think about things in context to our own lives, and I liked the idea that if we simply focus on where we would like to be, we will get there, rather than trying to calculate and assess.
    I agree that it sounds like a dig at modern science!
    Thank you, Diggindeeper, for the tips on the Bible search. I do have a bible here and use an app for my phone that's good and gives new readings each day. I'm just enjoying reading and all that that gives us to think about!
    Thanks again for responding!

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Hi. I am seeking Christ and remember a Sunday School service when I was a child where we read a passage which seemed to be a parable. It was a while ago (!) so it is really very hazy in my mind but has been on my mind for a long time now...

I think it is something along the lines of: a man has three sons and offers a reward to the one who can cross a field in the straightest line. Two of the sons use mathematical calculations and spend a long time trying to scientifically ensure that their line is straight. The final son picks out a tree at the other side of the field and simply walks towards it; it is him that crosses in the straightest line and receives the reward.

I cannot find this anywhere in the Bible and wonder if it was from a Christian book instead...

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I hope you have a wonderful day!
    Thank you in advance.
    It's not in the scriptures. But perhaps, your Sunday School teacher was on to something. For instance, some folks constantly try to figure out laws, passages, doctrines, etc. Always they are measuring and figuring about what they need to do to walk the straight and narrow path. But scripture teaches us to focus on Jesus. So the one who keeps his eyes on the goal (i.e. the tree in the story), he is the one who walks in the straight line!

Sometimes, we get so caught up in trying to figure out God, figure out doctrines, teachings, etc. that we forget the simplicity and purity of devotion to Jesus. So maybe, just maybe, God is reminding you of something taught long ago, that Jesus is the answer to walking a straight line. See Him, walk towards Him, and your path will be straight.

Grace to you,

Mark
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Thank you! You summed that up wonderfully.

seated in Christ at the right hand of my Father

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    ...some folks constantly try to figure out laws, passages, doctrines, etc. Always they are measuring and figuring about what they need to do to walk the straight and narrow path. But scripture teaches us to focus on Jesus. So the one who keeps his eyes on the goal (i.e. the tree in the story), he is the one who walks in the straight line!
    Bingo, Brother Mark!

W
    Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

Blog Entries

I just want to add...It didn't make me think that way, but I remember a math teacher once told us, "The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line."

But you know, it also made me think of what James said in the Bible,
    "A double minded man is unstable in all his ways." (James 1:8) And that would definitely fit the little story! Any man (or woman!) cannot stay on the straight and narrow if their mind is wandering off in all directions, searching for one sin or another.

Sundance, how can we help you to become a Christian? You know, TODAY is the day of salvation. What exactly is keeping you from becoming a Christian? Any questions you may have, we'll do our best to point you in the right direction. Normally we ask those who are not yet Christians to post only in the Christian Answers forum, but for some reason I feel that you need to be here, right now. So, I am serious. How CAN we help you?
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=sundance;2793492... picks out a tree at the other side of the field and simply walks towards it; it is him that crosses in the straightest line and receives the reward. ...[/QUOTE]

That reminds me much of the story of Peter when he was walking on the water. Jesus told him to keep his eyes on Him and just get out and walk. Peter did, and he was walking on water fine, until the second he took his eyes off of Jesus, then he began to sink. That also reminds me of myself in my own life, whenever I begin to forget about Jesus, I sink too, in whatever it is that I'm attempting to do.

And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?
    (Mat 14:29-31)

Thread Information