cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWJS?

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

WWJS?

I was listening to the radio yesterday and there was an advertisement for a cd/dvd or something to that effect, or maybe it was for a radio show...regardless, the advertisement went something like this; "If someone were to confront Jesus about how our world was made, or about dinosaurs what would Jesus say? Would He just shrug His shoulders and say I don't know? Or would He give an intelligent response?" Mind you that's not an exact quote, but it's pretty close. That got me thinking about the thread here on "how old is the world?"

The more I thought about that question, "What would Jesus say?" the more I realized that I don't think He would have been nearly as concerned about proving that He created the world as He would about the spiritual condition within the person asking.

So in that light, what do you think Jesus would say?
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

pushed out by those who say they're my brother

Re: WWJS?

Quote Originally Posted by Saved7 View Post
    I was listening to the radio yesterday and there was an advertisement for a cd/dvd or something to that effect, or maybe it was for a radio show...regardless, the advertisement went something like this; "If someone were to confront Jesus about how our world was made, or about dinosaurs what would Jesus say? Would He just shrug His shoulders and say I don't know? Or would He give an intelligent response?" Mind you that's not an exact quote, but it's pretty close. That got me thinking about the thread here on "how old is the world?"

The more I thought about that question, "What would Jesus say?" the more I realized that I don't think He would have been nearly as concerned about proving that He created the world as He would about the spiritual condition within the person asking.

Maybe he'd ask a question like, "What do the Scriptures say?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LookingUp View Post
    Maybe he'd ask a question like, "What do the Scriptures say?"

I think you might be right...he'd probably also say something like "with God all things are possible".
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Depending on the spirit it was asked in, he might have answered like he did to Job.

Job 38:4-11
    4 "Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding, 5 Who set its measurements? Since you know.Or who stretched the line on it? 6 "On what were its bases sunk?Or who laid its cornerstone, 7 When the morning stars sang together And all the sons of God shouted for joy?
    8 "Or who enclosed the sea with doors When, bursting forth, it went out from the womb; 9 When I made a cloud its garment And thick darkness its swaddling band, 10 And I placed boundaries on it And set a bolt and doors, 11 And I said, 'Thus far you shall come, but no farther;And here shall your proud waves stop'?
    NASU
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

There are times recorded in the gospel narratives where Jesus perpetuates the cultural ignorance of His day concerning reality and even Scripture, and it's also obvious that He rightfully claimed that He Himself marked the end of the evil age, so I wouldn't be surprised if He would have responded with one of the common rabbinical teachings about the age of creation and redefined it around Himself: that (in His day) the cosmos were six thousand years old, and that He was inaugurating the seventh, Sabbatical, final thousand years of human history - the age of the messiah's presence. Of course, that would put us today in the beginning of a ninth millennial "day" if we believed Jesus' words here to have been "scientific" or "literal", but Jesus (in this hypothetical scenario) would have simply been saying that He was the expected messiah, and that the age of the world was but further evidence of that fact. I don't know, just a fun guess; don't be offended or call me a heretic, please.
    analyze. synthesize. repeat.

*It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Brother Mark;2793887]Depending on the spirit it was asked in, he might have answered like he did to Job.[\QUOTE]

The spirit of the question is a very important to keep in mind.

4 "Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding, 5 Who set its measurements? Since you know.Or who stretched the line on it? 6 "On what were its bases sunk?Or who laid its cornerstone, 7 When the morning stars sang together And all the sons of God shouted for joy?
    8 "Or who enclosed the sea with doors When, bursting forth, it went out from the womb; 9 When I made a cloud its garment And thick darkness its swaddling band, 10 And I placed boundaries on it And set a bolt and doors, 11 And I said, 'Thus far you shall come, but no farther;And here shall your proud waves stop'?
    NASU

Excellent post!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Obstat View Post
    There are times recorded in the gospel narratives where Jesus perpetuates the cultural ignorance of His day concerning reality and even Scripture, and it's also obvious that He rightfully claimed that He Himself marked the end of the evil age, so I wouldn't be surprised if He would have responded with one of the common rabbinical teachings about the age of creation and redefined it around Himself: that (in His day) the cosmos were six thousand years old, and that He was inaugurating the seventh, Sabbatical, final thousand years of human history - the age of the messiah's presence. Of course, that would put us today in the beginning of a ninth millennial "day" if we believed Jesus' words here to have been "scientific" or "literal", but Jesus (in this hypothetical scenario) would have simply been saying that He was the expected messiah, and that the age of the world was but further evidence of that fact. I don't know, just a fun guess; don't be offended or call me a heretic, please.
    Call you a heretic? I'm still busy trying to figure out how you got 9000.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Depending on the spirit it was asked in, he might have answered like he did to Job.

NASU
    Amen, I agree and think that is exactly how He would answer.

Father bless and have mercy on us.

Call you a heretic? I'm still busy trying to figure out how you got 9000.
    Well, six millennial "work days" would have passed, and Jesus' coming would have marked the seventh millennial "day" of rest. But if we were to take such a teaching literally or scientifically, as many Christians do today of Scripture that was never intended to be understood in such a way, then year 7000 would have begun in the first century, year 8000 in the eleventh century, and 9000 in the twenty first century, which is now. Anyway.
    analyze. synthesize. repeat.

*It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

"If someone were to confront Jesus about how our world was made, or about dinosaurs what would Jesus say? Would He just shrug His shoulders and say I don't know? Or would He give an intelligent response?"
    Dont think Jesus would shrug his shoulders.....he was there, and took an active part as the word of God in creation. He knows what went down.

Id say he would say......."have you not read what is Written".....but i have many more things to say to you, but the time is not yet.

NASU
    I like this scripture and agree.

Now I was the one who posted the original thread "How old is the world?"

The reason why I asked the question is because I knew people here would know the answer quicker than I could ever find it.

The idea behind the question was taken from another Christian board where they posted a link for a bible timeline.

According to the link the world began in 4000 BC by our calendar, which the Masons view as the year 0.

So if I have offended anyone with my curious nature then, I am truly sorry.

Again it was really not a part of the being saved process, but I was just curious if there was a correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Protective Angel View Post

The reason why I asked the question is because I knew people here would know the answer quicker than I could ever find it.

The idea behind the question was taken from another Christian board where they posted a link for a bible timeline.

According to the link the world began in 4000 BC by our calendar, which the Masons view as the year 0.

Again it was really not a part of the being saved process, but I was just curious if there was a correct answer.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the question at all! It's the dogma behind the answers that I think maybe wrong. When we think "truth" is more important than people, we miss the mark. We are to give people truth to help them, to set them free, to encourage them. It is not so we can berate them. An example of what I am speaking about in scriptures is the woman caught in adultery. The religious around her wanted to stone her as the law said to do. They were more interested in their law, than in the woman. Jesus, on the other hand, saw her and was more interested in her! He understood that all the law was built upon "love God and love man". He came to set her free from her sin.

So again, there's nothing wrong with the question or with curiosity. It's why I put the first sentence as "Depends on the spirit of the person asking the question." One can answer about the age of the earth in one way or another way, but are they behaving like Jesus when they give their answer? Or are they behaving like those that wanted to stone the woman? That behavior may be indicative of whether an answer is coming from God or somewhere else.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

I don't think there's anything wrong with the question at all! It's the dogma behind the answers that I think maybe wrong. When we think "truth" is more important than people, we miss the mark. We are to give people truth to help them, to set them free, to encourage them. It is not so we can berate them. An example of what I am speaking about in scriptures is the woman caught in adultery. The religious around her wanted to stone her as the law said to do. They were more interested in their law, than in the woman. Jesus, on the other hand, saw her and was more interested in her! He understood that all the law was built upon "love God and love man". He came to set her free from her sin.

So again, there's nothing wrong with the question or with curiosity. It's why I put the first sentence as "Depends on the spirit of the person asking the question." One can answer about the age of the earth in one way or another way, but are they behaving like Jesus when they give their answer? Or are they behaving like those that wanted to stone the woman? That behavior may be indicative of whether an answer is coming from God or somewhere else.

The answers are in the bible and if they are not, it's not really of importance anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Obstat View Post
    Well, six millennial "work days" would have passed, and Jesus' coming would have marked the seventh millennial "day" of rest. But if we were to take such a teaching literally or scientifically, as many Christians do today of Scripture that was never intended to be understood in such a way, then year 7000 would have begun in the first century, year 8000 in the eleventh century, and 9000 in the twenty first century, which is now. Anyway.

I understood where you got the 9000 idea from, but if I am not mistaken, most folks believe that we were in the 4000th year when Jesus came, therefore, that puts us in the 6000th year presently moving into the 7000th. So I am trying to figure out how it is that you came to the conclusion that Jesus came during the 7000th year, where did you come into such information as this?

Blog Entries

No one was offended by this...it's actually a common theme to discuss the age of the earth here. It's just one of those subjects that gets a little intense at times, so that's why it was moved to controversial forums, I'm sure. Or at least that's why I was thinking about doing it myself before I got on the board today and saw that someone else beat me to it.

The answers are in the bible and if they are not, it's not really of importance anyway.

That's exactly the point of this thread.

Thread Information