cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need for re-baptism?

Need for re-baptism?

I was baptized as a infant, then again in 2010 as an adult. At the time I was a very new christian and was told by a friend that was" teaching " me that I should be baptized as an adult because my infant one did not count....I did not fully understand what it meant for me to be taking that step but I thought I was doing the right thing because she told me I had to......I did it to please her....Wrong!!!!
    I have gonr through alot in my marriage and with my family since then and have done some things I am not proud of. Alot of anger and hurt has been part of my recent existence... I feel a very strong pull to be baptized again....for the right reasons now....I have asked God for forgiveness and repented of that part of my life.
    My question is.....do I have the "right" to be baptized again......I feel so much guilt over things I have said or done to people....even though I have repented and asked for forgiveness and I believe God has granted it to me..........but I am still unsure of the right move as far as batism.

Re: Need for re-baptism?

You don't NEED to be baptized again. But if you feel led that way, go for it.

angel, first off you're probably right. I was baptized as a child and I don't believe my mind fully comprehended the step I was making. A simple scripted prayer alone doesn't ensure being born again. First, the person has to see a genuine need for being saved by Christ. Only when we see we're hopeless without Christ's perfect record and see him standing in our place as the ultimate substitute. At some point, as you have mentioned, we confess sins and repent. I would begin by praying psalm 139:23-24 each night. That verse is asking God to reveal any unforgiven sin in your life.(Because he already knows the deeds, you're just reciting his will back to him so that both of you are in understanding of your desire to confess and repent) Lastly, they have to step out in faith at some point and accept Jesus as savior from a certain death. Remember, no one is deserving of Heaven...there's no exception to that...only by the righteousness of Christ. In a way, God does demand perfection from us . . . the perfection of Christ.

I believe all that occurred during my childhood baptism was a quick soaking in water. Remember, the water baptism does nothing...its the true desire for Christ to be your substitute and to begin a new life. That can be done anytime as soon as the conviction occurs. The baptism is obviously just a symbolic display to the church of what has already occurred in your heart and if it hasn't you'll just end up getting soaked.

I've prayed the prayer multiple times and sometimes you just have to be willing to pray it again when the heart is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by angelwingz View Post
    I was baptized as a infant, then again in 2010 as an adult....
    My question is.....do I have the "right" to be baptized again......I feel so much guilt over things I have said or done to people....even though I have repented and asked for forgiveness and I believe God has granted it to me..........but I am still unsure of the right move as far as batism.
    You certainly don't need to be baptized again. Baptism is like a wedding. It never hurts to reaffirm your wedding vows...without requiring a second wedding. Since baptism is a public declaration of your dedication, I suggest you ask your pastor to conduct a re-dedication service for you and perhaps others in the congregation who would like to rededicate themselves publicly to serving Christ. At the close of the service those who feel so inclined would be invited up to the front of the church for the laying on of hands and recital of a formal prayer (vows) of dedication.

I think that would meet the need of your heart and bring a smile to the face of Jesus...which is really what you are after once all is said and done.

You don't need to be "baptized" in the first place. It is a sacramental act of response to God. So if you feel like you want to do it again, by all means do so!

Hmm... I think this is really between you and the Lord. If you feel it on your heart, then I personally don't feel that there's anything wrong with doing it again.
    Why are you searching for love? Why are you still looking as if I'm not enough?

Blog Entries

Baptism is the response of a pure heart/conscience towards God.

If you've repented and are determined to cast your lot with Jesus, and He has cleaned up your conscience and set you free ... then please by all means get baptized before witnesses and devote yourself publicly to serving the Lord for the rest of your days.

I like the idea of a rededication service. The guilt you feel will not be erased by a re-dipping though. That guilt is what makes you human, but it is completely unnneccessary. Give that guilt to God and walk in His peace.

God bless you and the tenderness of your heart.

Thank you and may God Bless you also.

seated in Christ at the right hand of my Father

Whatever you do, do it out of love for our Father and for Christ. Follow your heart and your conscience. You'll be fine.

blessings,

W
    Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

One valid baptism, whether you are an infant or an adult, is enough. Honestly, if baptism only counted for those of us who could comprehend what we were doing, at least 50% of adult baptisms wouldn't count. God isn't inhibited by our own human limitations or failures. You can always renew your baptismal vows, but to "redo" a previously valid baptism isn't necessary or correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Everyman View Post
    One valid baptism, whether you are an infant or an adult, is enough. Honestly, if baptism only counted for those of us who could comprehend what we were doing, at least 50% of adult baptisms wouldn't count. God isn't inhibited by our own human limitations or failures. You can always renew your baptismal vows, but to "redo" a previously valid baptism isn't necessary or correct.
    The baptism that counts is the one we do when we believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as our savior and repent of all our sins. THAT ONE counts. The rest is just getting wet.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    The baptism that counts is the one we do when we believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as our savior and repent of all our sins. THAT ONE counts. The rest is just getting wet.
    Hooah !
    Slug1--out

~Does Predestination mean: Once of the devil, Always of the devil?~

~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

hello who would you ask to Baptize you? baptism means two things when you are born and you emerge out of the water that is one.yes. only YHWH can Baptize humans in YHWH Holy Spirit.yes. baptize them in the NAME of The Father means flood them with the NAME of Almighty God which is YHWH.yes. there is NO human on earth or who has ever lived that is not worthy so put that thought right out of your mind.yes. every human has YHWH Holy Spirit in them or they would not have LIFE.yes.

Blog Entries

The OP is speaking about water baptism, which any one can do.

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Thread Information