cure-real
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I Saved, and What to do Next...?

Am I Saved, and What to do Next...?

1) I prayed the sinners prayer a while ago. I think I am a Christian as I more or less believe in the Christian principles and the Bible. But how do I know for sure that "it worked"? I am not 100% convinced, just sort of comfortable and happy to try to believe. Is that enough for the time being?

2) I would like to join a bible believing church, but there is none here in Stockholm, Sweden where I live. We have a "state church" which is by FAR the biggest denomination. They practically don't believe in anything in the bible, including virgin birth etc. Other options are Pentecostals and and an American style Evangelical "health&wealth" church. That doesn't appeal to me at all. Other than that there are only very small groups that would be hard to join as an outsider. I really don't know what to do. Is it better to join "any" church, than no church at all?

3) I am worried about people thinking me crazy for being a Christian. Sweden is an extremely secular country. Despite most people being a member of the "state church" and paying tax to it, hardly anyone actually believes in God. It's considered extremly strange. I really don't know how to handle the situation with my friends and relations. They will believe I have gone bonkers for sure! If I become active in any church other than the state church (and i am already a member there, since birth) they will think I am a in a sect, which, to most peoples mind is everything other than the state church. I have tried bringing up Christianity a couple of times to get an idea of peoples reaction and I can tell that there is no point even talking about it - they think the Bible is a story book for gullible and backwards people... What do I tell them, if anything?

Blog Entries

Re: Am I Saved, and What to do Next...?

If you asked God to forgive you of your sins, and accepted Him as Lord and Saviour, then you are a new creation in Christ!

2Corinthians5:17 If any man be in Christ, he is a new creations.The old has past away, behold the new has come.

Welcome to the family of Christ Hannah! Have you given any thought to being baptised? I guess you want to find a church first. Have you prayed about this church choice you have? I know the first church the Lord placed me in, was not one I would have picked. It was small and there weren't many members my age, but the Lord knew what I needed and I was so blessed there!

I wouldn't join any church, although I may visit it to get a better idea of what it's like. I couldn't attend a name in/claim it type church, who believe that sickness and poverty is a sin! Your state church sounds a lot like the Anglican church here in the U.K, they believe in evolutions and stuff, which I don't. I'm pentecostal in my heart, but I enjoy various churches as long as they follow the bible's teachings. There's no church that believes all the stuff I do, but we're all still part of the body of Christ! I would pray about it and ask the Lord to lead you to the one He wants you to attend.

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Blog Entries

It's not about a "sinner's prayer". The miracle is NOT in the prayer! The miracle is in believing that Jesus is real, that what He did for you is real, and to let Him reconnect you to Father God. Sin separates us from God. Jesus died and was raised from the dead to bring us back to the Father and wipe the sin out of our lives. So that now we can live our life with God together as His children, with His guidance and by His standards. That is what works, the acknowledgement that Jesus is real and alive and well, and accept His rightful lordship and authority.

If that's what you believe and what you have done, then welcome to the family. Find people who believe like the Bible says to, who live according to the rules Jesus gave us (to love God, and to love ourselves and other people) and who accept the Bible as God's Word and submit to its authority and who let God have the final say-so in their lives.

It's really not that complicated.

If you're unsure about what church to go to, then ask God for guidance and trust Him to lead you to the right one for you, to that group of people who shares your belief in the Lord and who live according to how He tells us to.

Quote Originally Posted by Indueseason View Post
    If you asked God to forgive you of your sins, and accepted Him as Lord and Saviour, then you are a new creation in Christ!

2Corinthians5:17 If any man be in Christ, he is a new creations.The old has past away, behold the new has come.

Welcome to the family of Christ Hannah! Have you given any thought to being baptised? I guess you want to find a church first. Have you prayed about this church choice you have? I know the first church the Lord placed me in, was not one I would have picked. It was small and there weren't many members my age, but the Lord knew what I needed and I was so blessed there!

I wouldn't join any church, although I may visit it to get a better idea of what it's like. I couldn't attend a name in/claim it type church, who believe that sickness and poverty is a sin! Your state church sounds a lot like the Anglican church here in the U.K, they believe in evolutions and stuff, which I don't. I'm pentecostal in my heart, but I enjoy various churches as long as they follow the bible's teachings. There's no church that believes all the stuff I do, but we're all still part of the body of Christ! I would pray about it and ask the Lord to lead you to the one He wants you to attend.

blessings to you
    Yeah, maybe I need to pray about it. I am both happy and a bit worried about the situation right now.
    I am aware of the situation with the Church of England.. I worked in the UK for a while. Church of Sweden has gone a few steps further (if you can believe it!!). But I think there are more "free" churches in the UK than in Sweden.
    While I was working in the UK, there was a nice looking baptist church really close to my house. They had a sign outside saying that they believed in the bible etc. How stupid I was that I never went in. It seemed such a nice place, but I just wouldn't give time of the day to that sort of thing at the time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    Yeah, maybe I need to pray about it. I am both happy and a bit worried about the situation right now.
    I am aware of the situation with the Church of England.. I worked in the UK for a while. Church of Sweden has gone a few steps further (if you can believe it!!). But I think there are more "free" churches in the UK than in Sweden.
    While I was working in the UK, there was a nice looking baptist church really close to my house. They had a sign outside saying that they believed in the bible etc. How stupid I was that I never went in. It seemed such a nice place, but I just wouldn't give time of the day to that sort of thing at the time.
    Worse than the church of England! Wow! I would pray about it, you never know, there could be a lovely house church that meets just along your road. Something that isn't in your face, so you wouldn't notice.Or one of the smaller churches you speak of could be a really nice group of Spirit filled believers. The Lord know's where He wants you, where you can grown in the faith. I prayed the same prayer when I first came to Christ. Asked Him to show me what church to attend.He used a song to show me! I had prayed, then I turned on my c.d player and the first song was called The Nazarene. I knew He was telling my to go to my local Nazarene church! It was a very small church, although it did grown in the years after I went, but it blessed me so much! It was just what I needed.

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Hi Hannah, and welcome to the bible forum. I'am myself from Sweden, however not from Stockholm, but rather "Götheborg"
    Salvation is the most easy step you can't take, because if you want to come back home to the Lord, he will never denied you that. Its free and unconditionally. You never need to doubt that. Don't worry, with time you will understand it very well.

There is nothing wrong with picking the right church for you. You should test the church you will join, so they are according the right doctrine. I myself are in a Pentecostal church, quite happy with it. I'm very sure you will find a good church in Stockholm, and it will be good to for your spiritual health to attain one.

Don't worry about people thinking you are going crazy. Even my family did that, but they get used to it Just don't worry, they will learn alot from you to.
    Last edited by WalkInChrist; Jan 19th 2012 at 10:09 AM.

Hi Hannah and welcome tot he family of Christ. Addressing the issue of people thinking you are crazy, ........Let them think! Let them wonder why you are happy all the time, let them wonder about the peace within you! Tell everyone!

Shine
    Make 'em wonder what you've got
    Make 'em wish that they were not
    On the outside looking bored
    Shine
    Let it shine before all men
    Let'em see good works, and then
    Let 'em glorify the Lord

One of my favorite songs!

Amidst the lovely Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.

Hi Hannah! Welcome to the boards, and welcome to the family of God!!!

When I read about some of the stuff going on with secularization in Sweden, it makes me sad. My husband's family is Swedish and it makes me sad to think we wouldn't fit in there AT ALL. (For one thing, we homeschool). However, a Christian really isn't meant to fit in. We're meant to be a light to shine in the darkness, to help draw others to belief. So yes, your family and friends may take offense or think you silly or backwards or even stupid. But just keep on following the Lord, and allow Him to use you the way He sees fit. When your friends and family see the difference in you, and a genuine spirit of humility, it may prick their hearts. It will take courage, but God is the great encourager! This is a good place to come to gain insight and also for people to pray for you. I will pray when I stop typing this post that God will give you wisdom, especially about encouraging you and helping you to find other believers to fellowship with. If you haven't read this before, here is a good scripture for you:

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. ~ James 1:5
    In Christ,
    Katie

Romans 15:13 ~ May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

Amidst the lovely Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.

Hannah, I asked my church to pray for you this morning. I hope you are doing well!
    In Christ,
    Katie

Romans 15:13 ~ May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

Welcome the family Hannah! When I first believed I didn't tell my family for the same reason you fear. Turned out to be a wise move because I was so new that I might have caved under the pressure. But within a few months it was like a fire in my bones, I just couldn't keep silent about it. It was then that I realized that this Truth was too important to care what people think...my soul was saved and I wanted the same for them.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

1) I prayed the sinners prayer a while ago. I think I am a Christian as I more or less believe in the Christian principles and the Bible. But how do I know for sure that "it worked"? I am not 100% convinced, just sort of comfortable and happy to try to believe. Is that enough for the time being?

2) I would like to join a bible believing church, but there is none here in Stockholm, Sweden where I live. We have a "state church" which is by FAR the biggest denomination. They practically don't believe in anything in the bible, including virgin birth etc. Other options are Pentecostals and and an American style Evangelical "health&wealth" church. That doesn't appeal to me at all. Other than that there are only very small groups that would be hard to join as an outsider. I really don't know what to do. Is it better to join "any" church, than no church at all?

3) I am worried about people thinking me crazy for being a Christian. Sweden is an extremely secular country. Despite most people being a member of the "state church" and paying tax to it, hardly anyone actually believes in God. It's considered extremly strange. I really don't know how to handle the situation with my friends and relations. They will believe I have gone bonkers for sure! If I become active in any church other than the state church (and i am already a member there, since birth) they will think I am a in a sect, which, to most peoples mind is everything other than the state church. I have tried bringing up Christianity a couple of times to get an idea of peoples reaction and I can tell that there is no point even talking about it - they think the Bible is a story book for gullible and backwards people... What do I tell them, if anything?
    Hi Hannah and welcome!

It is God’s will and great desire to save you. So much so, that He sent His only begotten Son into the world, to show and demonstrate just how much He loves you, and desires that you become a child of God.

Although God draws us to a place where we desire to be saved, God does not save us by submitting to our will and desire, but because it is His will and desire, and we submit to Him. We obey the gospel.

"What to do Next...?"
    Be grounded and rooted in His love!

Learn that whatsoever God would have you do, that He will provide all that you need to do it. He is not an evil task master like Pharaoh, who would have you make bricks without straw. Before God put man on the earth, He first provided all that man would need to live, and man's first day was to rest in all the works that God had done.

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

Oh and Hannah, get baptized.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

I once heard someone say "If you're worried about being saved then you probably are". The basis for the statement was that if you're actually worried about it then you obviously believe in God and since being "saved" comes through true faith in Christ ( and most Christians obviously believe this ) then you're on the right path.

There are many people who will argue that you better "do this" or "do that" in order to be saved, but I don't believe that's what the Bible teaches. We are saved by Grace through Faith. Have faith in Christ and allow Him to do the work in you.

seated in Christ at the right hand of my Father

Other than that there are only very small groups that would be hard to join as an outsider.
    Hello Hannah,

Often small groups are the very best places to learn to grow in Christ. I'm not sure what conditions you are seeing that show it to be hard to join one of these groups, other than being an outsider. I belonged to a small home group for about 15 years in the town where I formerly lived. It took several years for the Lord to convince me that this was a safe bunch of folks. I've had rather bad experiences with large congregations. Safety and security in a group of people is based on trust, which is based upon relationships. Prayerfully find a small group and begin to form relational bonds with its members. Take your time and don't rush...and keep your eyes focused squarely on Jesus. Just as He kept Peter from drowning when Peter stepped out of the boat, He will lead you through this. The idea of being an outsider is nothing more than a wave of circumstance being shown to you by the enemy to take your eyes off Christ. Don't look at the circumstances, as did Peter, and sink!

blessings,

Watchman
    Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

Many great comments up to this point. Here are some quick thoughts below your questions:

The "trick" is not in the sinners prayer, how its said, in what church, on one knee, on two knees, while doing jumping jacks... etc.... etc... et.al. God saves according to His wonderful grace. If you trust Christ for salvation on the grounds of His shed blood making a way for forgiveness by satisfying the wrath of God for sin... then my friend you are saved. It doesn't matter what you said or how you said but that you said it as a response to HIS grace flooding your heart as you received Christ by faith. We are recipients of grace.

That's tough. We are saved into the Church, not only into Christ in an ethereal sense. We are saved into the living breathing Body of Christ through fellowship with like minded believers. Therein is your difficulty. I would suggest it better (if these are in fact your only options) to be anonymous in a larger Anglican / Liberal Church for worship of some type and then find solid preaching of the Word on-line, R.C. Sproul, John McCarthur, John Piper, this guy, , and study the Word. This is a touch spot to be in, pray and seek God also for a solid Church to be a part of, even if it is a very small fellowship.

Let them call you crazy. I will be a fool in the world's eyes and hold the wisdom of God in my heart for eternity!
    The Pastor's Study
    “The easiest way to keep a broken vessel full is to keep the faucet constantly running.” – DL Moody

Thread Information