cure-real
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which tree are you eating from?

Re: Which tree are you eating from?

Quote Originally Posted by MoreMercy View Post
    [COLOR=#008000]I would say that we/all of us are still eating from the "no, no tree"
    But, some of us are now/after Christ's work done are now eating from both the "no, no tree" and the "tree of life"
    True enough. But God is patient, long suffering with us. He works with us so that our diet is corrected.

Now on to something else that struck me in the forehead when reading what you shared.
    I slept on it and still have the will to share this here:
    I have always seen Egypt in scripture and even in NT letters and writings as symbolic of the arms/strength of the Gentile nations and or their leadership/rulers when God is speaking prophetically to Israel (I get that through topical studies also).
    And then ask:
    So or but me knowing that God presents Egypt as a "tree" in Ezek 30 and beyond, does that bring any thoughts to you to bring you to in anyway also relate the Gentiles as being somehow related to the forbidden "tree" in the garden in Genesis because He also symbolically relates the nation of Egypt to the arms/power/strength of the Gentile or Gentile nations when speaking prophetically to the nation and/or leadership of Israel ?
    Egypt is like a type of the world. Pharaoh is a type of Satan. We can live in the world and live in slavery. And yes, Egypt is a type of the tree of knowledge. For instance, remember the temptation of Eve and what she saw? Good for food, good for looking at, and desiring to make one wise. These are the things that are in the world according to 1st John. (I touched lightly on this in the OP.)

So Egypt is like the tree of knowledge because it is the world! The Lord longs to save us and take us out of the world in that he delivers us from slavery to the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eye, and the boastful pride of life. (All sin is rooted in these three things, IMO.) It is these things that enables Pharaoh to have power over us. Then we wonder in a desert learning about God. Learning how he provides and being tested and humbled. Finally, the Lord longs to take us into a promised land where we begin to conquer the Jericho stronghold in our life (lust, or anger, or materialism or whatever it may be). Then we go on to Ai. And while in that land, we eat of the fruit of the land. When we are fully set free from the world and it's strongholds there is genuine peace of God.

Not sure if I was clear or not. But I hope it addresses enough that we can continue our conversation if needed.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    True enough. But God is patient, long suffering with us. He works with us so that our diet is corrected.

Egypt is like a type of the world. Pharaoh is a type of Satan. We can live in the world and live in slavery. And yes, Egypt is a type of the tree of knowledge. For instance, remember the temptation of Eve and what she saw? Good for food, good for looking at, and desiring to make one wise. These are the things that are in the world according to 1st John. (I touched lightly on this in the OP.)

So Egypt is like the tree of knowledge because it is the world! The Lord longs to save us and take us out of the world in that he delivers us from slavery to the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eye, and the boastful pride of life. (All sin is rooted in these three things, IMO.) It is these things that enables Pharaoh to have power over us. Then we wonder in a desert learning about God. Learning how he provides and being tested and humbled. Finally, the Lord longs to take us into a promised land where we begin to conquer the Jericho stronghold in our life (lust, or anger, or materialism or whatever it may be). Then we go on to Ai. And while in that land, we eat of the fruit of the land. When we are fully set free from the world and it's strongholds there is genuine peace of God.

Not sure if I was clear or not. But I hope it addresses enough that we can continue our conversation if needed.
    Very clear, thanks Mark.

So I feel safe thinking for the time being and maybe into eternity, unless I'm pruned, that:

That the "no, no tree" is symbolic of the strength/power or security offered by the world/His creation.

And, the "tree of life" is symbolic of the strength/power and security offered by the Creator.

Father bless and have mercy on us.

Very clear, thanks Mark.

So I feel safe thinking for the time being and maybe into eternity, unless I'm pruned, that:

The "no, no tree" is symbolic of the strength/power or security offered by the world/His creation.
    And, the "tree of life" is symbolic of the strength/power and security offered by the Creator.
    Thank you.

I think I can go with the way you describe it. The way of the world offers strength and power, but in reality, it leads to death, destruction, and slavery. We desire to be wise, to have our flesh satisfied, and to have our eyes pleasured, and those things will enslave us even though they promise us great reward.
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

The way of the world offers strength and power, but in reality, it leads to death, destruction, and slavery. We desire to be wise, to have our flesh satisfied, and to have our eyes pleasured, and those things will enslave us even though they promise us great reward.
    Amen, brother !

Good post Brother Mark.

Earthly power and strength are but for a time, but the treasures laid up in heaven are for all eternity!
    Jesus Christ....who do you say He is?

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 1 John 4:1

And...
    What about the description, I think it is in Revelation and in Psalms also, of Jesus laying an axe to the root of a "tree" by His work done on the earth.

And again (and I think related also) in Luke, and quasi in Matthew, of Jesus's description of future works of His followers who will/can speak words to a "tree" and the tree will be plucked up and planted in the sea.

I think that is the same "tree" that we were discussing earlier on this thread. What do you think ?

And...
    What about the description, I think it is in Revelation and in Psalms also, of Jesus laying an axe to the root of a "tree" by His work done on the earth.

And again (and I think related also) in Luke, and quasi in Matthew, of Jesus's description of future works of His followers who will/can speak words to a "tree" and the tree will be plucked up and planted in the sea.

I think that is the same "tree". What do you think ?

John also talks about laying the axe to the root. God fully intends to root the entire tree out of us, IMO. And that is a good thing. It is only accomplished by grace through faith in Christ. The more we eat of Him (i.e. knowing and experiencing him) the more grace that comes our way.
    NASU

Hi Mark!

I didn't want to snip your excellent post, but I wanted to hopefully add to, or expand on this:

How then do we eat from the Tree of Life? By spending time with Him, believing/trusting Him (eating), and meditating upon Him (digesting).

Grace to you,

Mark
    I once heard a teacher say that this 'eating and drinking' was to be understood scripturally as to 'take advantage of'. I don't know if that was scripturally true or not, but it had me thinking.
    Why were so many who heard Jesus say this 'you must eat my flesh and drink my blood' why were they so offended by His words?

Did they understand this to be, and did Jesus actually infer an act of cannibalism? I think so (spiritually of course) for we need food and drink to live, and without it we become weak and eventually we may die.

I don't know if you saw that film about the plane crash (I think it was called Survival) They were up in the mountains and they had no food or drink. All there was were a few dead bodies, and to survive they had to take advantage and eat the dead bodies.

To grow and survive spiritually, we have to 'take advantage' of the ONLY food and drink that can give us spiritual life, and that is the body and blood of Jesus Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Hi Mark!

I didn't want to snip your excellent post, but I wanted to hopefully add to, or expand on this:

I once heard a teacher say that this 'eating and drinking' was to be understood scripturally as to 'take advantage of'. I don't know if that was scripturally true or not, but it had me thinking.
    Why were so many who heard Jesus say this 'you must eat my flesh and drink my blood' why were they so offended by His words?

Did they understand this to be, and did Jesus actually infer an act of cannibalism? I think so (spiritually of course) for we need food and drink to live, and without it we become weak and eventually we may die.

I don't know if you saw that film about the plane crash (I think it was called Survival) They were up in the mountains and they had no food or drink. All there was were a few dead bodies, and to survive they had to take advantage and eat the dead bodies.

To grow and survive spiritually, we have to 'take advantage' of the ONLY food and drink that can give us spiritual life, and that is the body and blood of Jesus Christ.
    I totally get what youre saying! When I first read that scripture verse when Jesus says "you must eat my flesh and drink my blood" at first, I thought that was kind of gross.but then the Spirit help me to understand that Jesus was trying to get the point across to me in ways that I would understand. because I know what it is like to be hungry and thirsty physically and if I go too long with out food or drink, I get weak. If I starve spiritually, I end up "eating" from the wrong "tree"thinking that would satisfy my "hunger" What I am really hungry for, is Jesus. Hungry for His fellowship in prayer, hungry for His Word.

Tried to rep you, but my computer acting funny. Consider yourself "repped" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Hi Mark!

Indeed! So long as they thought Jesus was talking about cannibalism, they were interested, in a weird sort of way. But when Jesus said to them "my words are spirit", they understood he was speaking about covenant, and left. Appropriating Christ and trusting Him, letting His words get down into our soul where they can be digested, being in covenant with Him, this is eating and drinking Christ.

Remember the woman at the well? When she believed Jesus, she left her water pot! She came for water and got it! She drank the Living Water just as Christ prophesied she would!!!

Grace and peace,

Mark
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsdaughter View Post
    I totally get what youre saying! When I first read that scripture verse when Jesus says "you must eat my flesh and drink my blood" at first, I thought that was kind of gross.but then the Spirit help me to understand that Jesus was trying to get the point across to me in ways that I would understand. because I know what it is like to be hungry and thirsty physically and if I go too long with out food or drink, I get weak. If I starve spiritually, I end up "eating" from the wrong "tree"thinking that would satisfy my "hunger" What I am really hungry for, is Jesus. Hungry for His fellowship in prayer, hungry for His Word.

Tried to rep you, but my computer acting funny. Consider yourself "repped" lol.
    This is really good! "Those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, will be filled"
    NASU

This is really good! "Those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, will be filled"
    Yes! You finished my thought with that verse! Amen brother. Thank you Jesus.

To me it's very simple: Love God. Love people. Everything else is secondary. If it isn't from love then I don't want any part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DDGresham1 View Post
    To me it's very simple: Love God. Love people. Everything else is secondary. If it isn't from love then I don't want any part of it.
    Amen, but what about becoming fishers of men ?

I am still of like mind as you on the simplicity of it.
    But, that is just the first and basic level God.
    That is not enough, for me anymore...
    I desire to bait my life now with the mysteries of my Master's kingdom and its observable inter-workings, because this is the bait that brought me even closer to my God after I believed.
    And so with that newer mindset, He enables me to share that bait to catch even more men for Him.

Amen, but what about becoming fishers of men ?

I am still of like mind as you on the simplicity of it.
    But, that is just the first and basic level God.
    That is not enough, for me anymore...
    I desire to bait my life now with the mysteries of my Master's kingdom and its observable inter-workings, because this is the bait that brought me even closer to my God after I believed.
    And so with that newer mindset, He enables me to share that bait to catch even more men for Him.

Ah yes, fear is the beginning...then love...then the spirit moves you and you cast your nets! But, I guess my point was that it's easy to get wrapped up in all the "legalities" or "what I should do" type things in God's word. I keep it simple. Once I remember the basics, God can do what he needs to do. When I try and let my own thoughts lead me, I can often get wrapped up in legalities. I forget about being humble and let God move me because I think I have it all figured out...my version. These days I prefer to be still in mind and stick to the basics...God will take care of the rest. He will move me where he needs to move me. Nothing wrong with Bible study though (obviously).

Thread Information