cure-real

Thread: Thread blocking

Thread blocking

A thought just occurred to me. Is there any way that we can block a particular thread in the same way we can put a user on ignore?

The reason I bring this up is I know have felt as though the Lord has prompted me in the past to let a thread go. Many times, this is not a problem. But occasionally, it is! I am of the school of thought that we should just go ahead allow something to be crucified once the Lord speaks. However, in understanding that sometimes the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak, it would be nice to have a tool that would put a thread on ignore. In this way, it would remove temptation for us to get back involved. If the thread stopped showing up when I hit the "What's New" button, then the temptation to post where the Lord said stop is removed. Kind of like the whole "cut off your hand" thing in the sermon on the mount.

Any chance we could get that? Imagine what a tool it would be for the mods. Someone gets out of hand, you could have an override to lock them out of that thread but still give them the freedom to post in other places. Very useful, if possible.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Re: Thread blocking

Hmm. I know how you feel. But I think sometimes I can use these opportunities to teach my patience, kindness and humility. Not saying it's easy, but it does help me learn.

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    Hmm. I know how you feel. But I think sometimes I can use these opportunities to teach my patience, kindness and humility. Not saying it's easy, but it does help me learn.
    That's a nice thought Seeking. But fleeing temptation is taught throughout the scriptures. Self control is a fruit of the spirit. But fleeing is wisdom. Cutting off, fleeing, etc. Same thought.
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    Yeah,I feel ya. I got a ways to go with these qualities when it comes to certain issues myself. Some items really push my buttons.

Blessings

and Popcorn

Gen 15:1 After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying,Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

Quote Originally Posted by shepherdsword View Post
    Yeah,I feel ya. I got a ways to go with these qualities when it comes to certain issues myself. Some items really push my buttons.
    Right. And for those issues, if all you had to do was "click here" and the thread no longer showed up, you would have fled from temptation and avoided sin. I think it would be a great feature to have.
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    That's a nice thought Seeking. But fleeing temptation is taught throughout the scriptures. Self control is a fruit of the spirit. But fleeing is wisdom. Cutting off, fleeing, etc. Same thought.
    That's good point too. Fleeing is probably the best option sometimes.

though it sounds great, i have noticed how many threads "microevolve" from thier original topic. that is many stay on the topic but lets say meander around a little. sure seems like youd miss great opritunities to conversate on issues as they change appearances.
    But it would be a great tool for people who just want to state thier opinions, and then avoid the most crutial part of a conversation. that being helping others see why you feel that way. Are we here to sling opinions and bounce?, or here to grow both in ourselves, and each other as diverse opinions.
    I feel that simply ignoring issues, is the worst insult one can give to themselves. as it appears when one does so that thier conviction of said statements are not as solid as first thought. AS adults we should be able to simply agree to dissagree, respectfully, if things get heated.

I for one am severly dissapointed sometimes in the number of people that post and disapear, many i suppose because they dont like being questioned.
    I realize that many are far more advanced in thier understanding of the bible,(not me, the more i learn the more i find out I dont know) and dont want to be bothered with defending thier views over and over as more new people show up all the time. it must get very tiring. seriously how many times have many posted on same subject, different person starting subject. but are not each one of us worth your time and trouble.

an ignore button would be excellent idea at first, but as in real life its pretty rude to just walk away in middle of conversation.
    only an opinion.
    I know I cant spell, nor know where to put them ,, ., and ?
    If you are so smart, you should be able to figure it out though, huh.

Quote Originally Posted by otis lilly View Post
    though it sounds great, i have noticed how many threads "microevolve" from thier original topic. that is many stay on the topic but lets say meander around a little. sure seems like youd miss great opritunities to conversate on issues as they change appearances.
    But it would be a great tool for people who just want to state thier opinions, and then avoid the most crutial part of a conversation. that being helping others see why you feel that way. Are we here to sling opinions and bounce?, or here to grow both in ourselves, and each other as diverse opinions.
    I feel that simply ignoring issues, is the worst insult one can give to themselves. as it appears when one does so that thier conviction of said statements are not as solid as first thought. AS adults we should be able to simply agree to dissagree, respectfully, if things get heated.

I for one am severly dissapointed sometimes in the number of people that post and disapear, many i suppose because they dont like being questioned.
    I realize that many are far more advanced in thier understanding of the bible,(not me, the more i learn the more i find out I dont know) and dont want to be bothered with defending thier views over and over as more new people show up all the time. it must get very tiring. seriously how many times have many posted on same subject, different person starting subject. but are not each one of us worth your time and trouble.

an ignore button would be excellent idea at first, but as in real life its pretty rude to just walk away in middle of conversation.
    only an opinion.
    People walk away now for various reasons. An ignore button is for those that are tempted to argue. It won't stop people from walking away as they do now. But stay here long enough, and you will see some threads get ugly. An ignore thread button would help greatly when someone is tempted along those lines. As for people stating an opinion and leaving. That will continue to happen too. It always does.

I leave threads for a couple of reasons. 1. The Lord tells me to. 2. I've said all I can say and to say more would be pointless. 3. I can sense myself moving into argument mode instead of discussion and edifying talk. What others do as far as leaving, well, that would be between them and the Lord.

For me, I am generally more sad that people stay in a thread than I am that they leave (myself included).
    NASU

People walk away now for various reasons. An ignore button is for those that are tempted to argue. It won't stop people from walking away as they do now. But stay here long enough, and you will see some threads get ugly. An ignore thread button would help greatly when someone is tempted along those lines. As for people stating an opinion and leaving. That will continue to happen too. It always does.
    Yes I have to agree some do get ugly. though not acceptable, it is understandable as we are talking about the single most important thing in ones life. ( I hope)
    and opinions will vary, lol.
    but would such a button actually help the issue or make it worse. an argumentative person would sling thier insults, click, and never see the ramifications of thier actions.

I leave threads for a couple of reasons. 1. The Lord tells me to
    I am glad , it enables those of us searching for the truth to hear anothers opinion, so we can use it as material to measure and weigh, to make up our own minds.
    2. I've said all I can say and to say more would be pointless
    I disagree, this is only an opinion, but its what I think. i am not so good with words , i hope i make it understandable.
    to me a thread is like a conversation, that one has face to face, ( we are still personally responsible for what we say, and how we say it)only it is made over space(distances) and time, ( as we can) enabling us to have conversations with people in places we would never be able to do otherwise. But it is still a conversation. I feel that good manners are still applicable. I would never just come here post my opinion on a subject then never check back to see if anyone asked me why i felt that way. no more than someone would in a great get-together simply walk around dropping opinions and moving on, its rude, in my opinion. if you do not believe in a subject enough to see the conversation through, i say dont enter it. (opinion only) we are in fact among friends, and would be boring short conversations if we all agreed on everything. but once you enter a conversation, i feel it proper edicate to follow it, everytime a new post is entered, to see if someone is asking you to clarify something. if they are asking they are searching for something.
    3. I can sense myself moving into argument mode instead of discussion and edifying talk. What others do as far as leaving, well, that would be between them and the Lord.
    I completely agree with both. the first being a problem between you and the lord, the second between others and the lord. Its just as simple to say let me get back to you, and consider why they feel the way they do. and wait a day before continuing, that way you have been respectful, and honest to them and yourself
    For me, I am generally more sad that people stay in a thread than I am that they leave (myself included)
    I for one am sad just to hear you say that, I think your opinions are relevent. to me a thread is a conversation, to exchange thoughts and ideas. if someone wants to leave because they feel its getting argumentative then its a sad deal indeed, that is the single point in the conversation where there is the most confusion, congratulations we have arrived at the heart of the conversation. this is when the questions should start. i think people should try to understand why people think what they do. not just condemn them for believing it. then when everyone understands why each other think this way then they can respectfully think anything they wish to. mutual respect, you said it best when you said its between them and the lord. everything is.
    People are not trying to be argumentative, when they ask things that you take personal, they are being inquisitive, lol
    you are in a place by choice where we compare opinions. let me pick your brain
    I know I cant spell, nor know where to put them ,, ., and ?
    If you are so smart, you should be able to figure it out though, huh.

You probably know this already, but just in case you don't: go to 'settings' and unsubscribe from those threads you don't want to participate in anymore. It won't solve the problem when searching 'new threads', though.

B
    Jeremiah 29:11
    "For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." (NASB)

Quote Originally Posted by otis lilly View Post
    Yes I have to agree some do get ugly. though not acceptable, it is understandable as we are talking about the single most important thing in ones life. ( I hope)
    and opinions will vary, lol.
    but would such a button actually help the issue or make it worse. an argumentative person would sling thier insults, click, and never see the ramifications of thier actions.
    Otis, it's not about making other people better. It's not about enforcing the argumentative person to do as I think they should. It's about helping me when I am weak. Is that not a good thing? If others abuse it, does that make it invalid?

Of course, the mods could use it to block argumentative people from a thread once they start an argument and thereby keep them from hijacking it continuously.

On the other hand, if the argumentative person blast an argument then exists the conversation, I am OK with that. I really am not here to argue with someone that wants to argue.

I am glad , it enables those of us searching for the truth to hear anothers opinion, so we can use it as material to measure and weigh, to make up our own minds.
    Of course. Not talking about discussion or disagreement at all.

I disagree, this is only an opinion, but its what I think. i am not so good with words , i hope i make it understandable.
    Even the Lord says he will not always strive with man. There comes a time when one should walk away and stop striving.

to me a thread is like a conversation, that one has face to face, ( we are still personally responsible for what we say, and how we say it)
    That's the point. When you cannot or will not respond in the right way and choose instead to respond wrongly, you have sinned. Some folks have to grow in that. Giving them a button to help is a great thing!

I for one am sad just to hear you say that, I think your opinions are relevent. to me a thread is a conversation, to exchange thoughts and ideas. if someone wants to leave because they feel its getting argumentative then its a sad deal indeed, that is the single point in the conversation where there is the most confusion, congratulations we have arrived at the heart of the conversation. this is when the questions should start. i think people should try to understand why people think what they do. not just condemn them for believing it. then when everyone understands why each other think this way then they can respectfully think anything they wish to. mutual respect, you said it best when you said its between them and the lord. everything is.
    People are not trying to be argumentative, when they ask things that you take personal, they are being inquisitive, lol
    you are in a place by choice where we compare opinions. let me pick your brain
    Hang around a while. It will get interesting.
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by paidforinfull View Post
    You probably know this already, but just in case you don't: go to 'settings' and unsubscribe from those threads you don't want to participate in anymore. It won't solve the problem when searching 'new threads', though.

B
    Yea, I don't use the subscribe feature. I generally don't have a problem staying out of threads I don't need to be in except on occasion. I would like to simply remove that temptation when it occurs. The "New Thread" search is what I use most often.
    NASU

Thread Information