cure-real
Page 1 of 28 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: If I've been babtized by the Holy Spirit, why cant I speak in tongues?

If I've been babtized by the Holy Spirit, why cant I speak in tongues?

On the Day of Pentecost, everyone in that room who was baptized by the Holy Spirit spoke in different tongues, right? I've been saved for 14 years, and I believe, according to the Word of God, that I was born again at that moment and received His Spirit, but I have never spoken in tongues. Why? Is the "baptism of the Holy Spirit" a separate event that takes place? If so, why haven't I been baptized in the Holy Spirit? I do believe that speaking in tongues is real, I guess some could fake it, not that I would know.

Re: If I've been babtized by the Holy Spirit, why cant I speak in tongues?

As a Pentecostal, I believe that being saved and being baptized in the Holy Spirit are separate events. First you are born again, and in doing so receive the Holy Spirit. Then you afterwards may be baptized in the Holy Spirit. It is something you should earnestly seek but it's not required. When you are baptized in the Holy Spirit, its outward evidence is speaking in tongues. Although, in the book of Acts there are people who are saved, then baptized in the Spirit however it doesn't record whether or not they spoke in tongues. That could either mean that tongues was simply assumed to happen as part of the baptism, or that they in fact didn't speak in tongues. I'm not sure as of yet.

I have not been baptized in the Holy Spirit nor do I speak in tongues. But I am still saved.
    Dext3r Ministries, my ministry blog.

Epic God is epic!

You are the Lord, our God. May I live by faith for you.

I dont' know what a "Pentecostal" is , a denomination? I'll google it.Here's the thing, I always believed that receiving the Holy Spirit the time you are born again is the SAME as being baptized in the Spirit. I don't know if that is the TRUTH or just my "tradition" of believing. I was ready to just ignore this, I would say,"since I don't understand it, nobody does therefore I will just leave it the way it is and go on believing what I believe. I'm not satified with that anymore, I want to understand because if Jesus said that the disciples needed to be baptized in the Holy Spirit to do His work, then I do to. I don't want my "tradition" to be an obstacle in maturing in the Lord, I want a deeper relationship, I want to know more of what this means and more of God.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsdaughter View Post
    On the Day of Pentecost, everyone in that room who was baptized by the Holy Spirit spoke in different tongues, right? I've been saved for 14 years, and I believe, according to the Word of God, that I was born again at that moment and received His Spirit, but I have never spoken in tongues. Why? Is the "baptism of the Holy Spirit" a separate event that takes place? If so, why haven't I been baptized in the Holy Spirit? I do believe that speaking in tongues is real, I guess some could fake it, not that I would know.
    Two separate events and the best scriptures to explain the truth of this is from Acts 8.

Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized. 13 Then Simon himself also believed; and when he was baptized he continued with Philip, and was amazed, seeing the miracles and signs which were done.
    The Sorcerer’s Sin

14 Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, 15 who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Verse 12 shows us that those who believed were baptized in water. They are now sealed by the Holy Spirit having accepted Christ as their Savior. Then later, Peter and John were sent to where Phillip was preaching and they prayed that the Holy Spirit ALSO fall upon them since this had not happened YET!!! This is the "Baptism of the Holy Spirit" and clearly separate from the sealing of the Holy Spirit days (or weeks) earlier when they were all baptized in water.
    Slug1--out

~Limitations in a Christian’s life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

Because speaking in tongues isn't the only evidence of being baptized in the Holy Spirit. The real evidence is found in Acts 1.

Acts 1:4-8
    4 Gathering them together, He commanded them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait for what the Father had promised, "Which," He said, "you heard of from Me; 5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."

6 So when they had come together, they were asking Him, saying, "Lord, is it at this time You are restoring the kingdom to Israel?" 7 He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority; 8 but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."
    NASU

When they were baptized, they did speak in tongues. But they also preached in power as a witness and many were saved! The power to be witnesses part is what Jesus himself said was the evidence it had occurred.

Also, keep in mind that being baptized in the Spirit is not a one time even. Note that in Acts 2, God calls it being filled.

Acts 2:4
    4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance.
    NASU

Go through Acts and see how many times they were filled! It happened over and over and over again. That's why Ephesians commands us to "be filled with the Spirit".

Eph 5:18
    18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but befilled with the Spirit,
    NASU
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

As Youssarian said, you do receive the Holy Spirit when you are saved. You are sealed by the Spirit, and the Spirit immediately begins the process of changing your life.
    But there comes a point when you are ready to begin witnessing and ministering to others. That can be done in your own power and strength. But it will soon wear you out. The purpose of the Baptism of the Spirit is to give you God's power to do those things. Your witness becomes more effective. You ministry takes on a whole new dimension.
    The experience of the baptism of the Spirit is not really about you, but rather what God wants to do through you. It is not about having an experience, or a feeling.
    All of the various gifts, such as teaching or evangelizing, or healing, are all about God using YOU to minister to someone else.
    Being baptized in the Spirit requires the same kind of faith you exercised at salvation. Basically, if you don't believe this is something for Christians to experience today, then you will not experience it. Belief is key. Even Jesus could not do many miracles in Nazareth because of their unbelief.
    But the Word of God says 'Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. 'Acts 2:38-39
    So, are you called? Then the promise is for you.

Blog Entries

Hi, Kingsdaughter. Seek the Lord on this. I have not been gifted with speaking in different languages, but I don't deny their existence. I'll just share with you my take on this.The importance of the Day of Pentecost in the book of Acts is not that a small group of men spoke in tongues, but that thousands of people got saved and the church was born. How did so many people get saved? They heard the gospel. How did they hear it if there were Jews from all over the known world to celebrate Pentecost and they spoke multiple languages? Because the apostles were supernaturally endowed by the Holy Spirit to speak in languages of people from other nations.Here's the importance of that supernatural gift on that day.

"At that time there were devout Jews from every nation living in Jerusalem. When they heard the loud noise, everyone came running, and they were bewildered to hear their own languages being spoken by the believers. They were completely amazed. “How can this be?” they exclaimed. “These people are all from Galilee, and yet we hear them speaking in our own native languages! Here we are—Parthians, Medes, Elamites, people from Mesopotamia, Judea, Cappadocia, Pontus, the province of Asia, Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, and the areas of Libya around Cyrene, visitors from Rome (both Jews and converts to Judaism), Cretans, and Arabs. And we all hear these people speaking in our own languages about the wonderful things God has done!” - Acts 2:5-11.

So what is the purpose of speaking in tongues? Paul explains. It's to speak in the language of someone who understands you and to bring the truth of God and instruction to them who you could otherwise not minister to because of a language barrier.

"Dear brothers and sisters, if I should come to you speaking in an unknown language, how would that help you? But if I bring you a revelation or some special knowledge or prophecy or teaching, that will be helpful. Even lifeless instruments like the flute or the harp must play the notes clearly, or no one will recognize the melody. And if the bugler doesn’t sound a clear call, how will the soldiers know they are being called to battle? It’s the same for you. If you speak to people in words they don’t understand, how will they know what you are saying? You might as well be talking into empty space. There are many different languages in the world, and every language has meaning. But if I don’t understand a language, I will be a foreigner to someone who speaks it, and the one who speaks it will be a foreigner to me. And the same is true for you. Since you are so eager to have the special abilities the Spirit gives, seek those that will strengthen the whole church. 1 Corthinthians 14:6-12

Paul also says in that same passage that to speak in other languages this way is not a sign for Christians, but a way to teach unbelievers.

"....Thus tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers, while prophecy is a sign not for unbelievers but for believers" 1 Corinthians 14:13
    ".....it's your nickel"

seated in Christ at the right hand of my Father

At Pentecost, they all spoke in known tongues. Paul made it clear in 1 Corinthians that the Holy Spirit apportions His manifestations as He wills...not as we desire.

W
    Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

seated in Christ at the right hand of my Father

Quote Originally Posted by Kahtar View Post
    But there comes a point when you are ready to begin witnessing and ministering to others. That can be done in your own power and strength. But it will soon wear you out.
    Amen and amen!

blessings,

Watchman
    Sunset remembers Eden...sunrise prophesies its return.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    At Pentecost, they all spoke in known tongues. Paul made it clear in 1 Corinthians that the Holy Spirit apportions His manifestations as He wills...not as we desire.

W
    Amen! Ya gotta wonder about a church full of people manifesting ONLY one single gift of the Holy Spirit... tongues. God don't do that according to what He had Paul explain to the Body of Christ.
    Slug1--out

~Limitations in a Christian’s life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

Speaking in tounges was not the only gift. There's prophesy, telepathy, the language or way you communicate between God and you.

Synchronicity, prayer, influence, the ability to pray for others to have it and bear as a witness to it so that others may have it. The more it spreads the stronger it is. I think of it like a network. You need to love, be peaceful, have forgiven others and yourself, faith (the holy spirit bears witness for faith), to treat your body like a temple. Paul explains it a lot.

Dear Kingsdaughter,
    I read in Acts 2:38, that repentance from sins is necessary. So I must inquire, do you still commit sin?
    If you do, then you haven't turned from sin, and that is what Jesus came to free us from.
    "Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." Then Jesus said, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin." (John 8:32-34) If you're a servant of sin, you are not a servant of God. Jesus said, "No man can serve two masters..." (Matt 6:24) You must decide who to serve.
    Remember, "God heareth not sinners...", (Jo 9:31), so a sinner cannot ask for the Holy Ghost. (Luke 11:13)

Paul writes in 1 Cor 12:11, that tongues is a gift of the spirit and is given and enabled as the Holy Spirit determines. Maybe you operate in different gifts as given and determined by the Holy Spirit?

If you are a member of a church that teaches that all who receive the Holy Spirit will speak in tongues then i suggest you leave that church ASAP. Such teachings run counter to what is revealed in the scriptures.

Read the following you will see that the bible states that there are many different gifts and The Holy Spirit gives different gifts to different people.

1 Corinthians 12
    12 For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit. 14 For in fact the body is not one member but many.
    15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body,” is it therefore not of the body? 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling? 18 But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased. 19 And if they were all one member, where would the body be?
    20 But now indeed there are many members, yet one body. 21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. 23 And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty, 24 but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it, 25 that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another. 26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.
    27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. 28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the best gifts.

Paul sets up the teaching here by Using the analogy if a human body with all parts being different and performing different functions then goes on to show that different followers of Jesus are given different abilities thereby revealing that just as the whole human body can be a hand so to the whole body cannot speak in tongues.

Again more scriptures:

1 Corinthians 14
    4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

Here Paul states that He wished all spoke in tongues. If Paul was wishing that all spoke in tongues then it means there where Christians in His time who did not speak in tongues, but they where still members of the Body of Christ. Pauls letter was written to the Saints of Corinth.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Thread Information