cure-real

Thread: Fighting addictions and temptation.

Fighting addictions and temptation.

Over the course of my life, I've had several addictions. Never addicted to drugs or alcohol, more like activities.

All throughout my high-school years and even a couple years after, I was so into music. Always online downloading albums, always looking for the next up and coming bands, and going to concerts and shows with my friends rather frequently. It consumed my life. I wore band shirts and apparel to school every single day to portray to others my interest. As I re-dedicated my life to Christ, I was able to slowly but surely break free from this addiction.

The couple years I was in college, I was majorly into movies. I was trying so hard to portray myself as this intellectual movie-buff. I went to the movies 3-5 times a week. I went to the local used-book store and bought low priced movies frequently. I subscribed to Netflix to further enhance my movie watching experiences. Movies absolutely consumed my life. But as I re-dedicated my life to Christ, I was able to slowly release my self from this obsession. I still like a good movie every now and then but this no longer has dominion over me.

Along the way though, I've been haunted and followed constantly by the temptation of lust and sexual desire. In high school when Jesus was nothing more than a last-resort option to me, I was in a sexually active relationship for 3 years. Even though I have been out of, and moved on from, that relationship for over 5 years now, the temptation of lust and sexual desire still plague me and even conquer me often.

I wanted to know what some of my fellow Christians have done to fight this.

Any encouragement, advice or scripture reference would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Thessalonians 5:23

Blog Entries

Re: Fighting addictions and temptation.

Hey Cadalac79

I am an addict in recovery and still have much to learn. One thing I was taught though was to allow God to change my thoughts. But how do one do this, as by the time I was advised on this, I was nothing but a brand new Christian still slipping and falling all over the place.
    Reading scripture is a good place to start. Making affirmation cards of who we are in Christ and try to focus on it, will also help. I have also learned that what you believe in is what you will finally become. If we believe that the temptation is too difficult and we don’t have the strength to keep on fighting it, we will eventually fall trap for the temptation and sin. We also need to remind that there will always be temptation, but that is where we can stop it in its tracks. I always thought how bad I am if I was thinking about drugging, but then I learned that as long it is just a temptation it does not mean that I have already done wrong. Satan places these thoughts hoping we will fall, feel bad and guilty about it. For instance as a drug user I get a lot of drug dreams, and by the time I wake up I am angry that I did not resist it in my sleep and then it makes me feel like a failure. If I do not tell myself that this is just a dream, I (normally in the past) felt so ashamed that I would then go and use.
    We cannot renew our minds by our own strength, that is another thing I have learned, but we do have within us (if we are believers in Christ) which is much stronger than us. Do you know how difficult it is to have cravings, pray about it, and then still go and do wrong? It is almost impossible for me. So, prayer is one of the things that keep us strong.

I have more to share with you a bit later. Now I just need to get back for work.

1. Renew your mind
    2. Pray
    3. Abstain
    4. Don’t believe the lies when you are tempted
    Saved by Grace!

Praying for Mieke and Charles
    Cor 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation ; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

My testimony
    http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=149096

Hi C79.

I would recommend a couple of things. Check out the website http://www.settingcaptivesfree.com/. They have a really good course to help.

Another thing I would recommend is a book by Steve Gallagher called "Living In Victory".

Grace to you.

Mark
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

chadalac79,

Welcome to the bibleforums! I pray that you will find some fellowship, peace, answers, and encouragement here.

Here's a link to an article about how we pursue too many "cheap joys". It has several scriptures and talks about how to overcome our struggles - through God and His Word. Come back and talk to us some more. We want to hear from you.

Peace to you -

Learning To Be An Overcomer.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Thread Information