cure-real
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 72

Thread: Re: Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Palm City, Florida
    Posts
    29

    Re: Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.

    Matthew 7 (NIV)
    6
    “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces."

    This became a topic of a chat I was having with someone and I thought this would be the best place to have this clarified.

    Jesus says the greatest commandment is to Love, but how does love fall into discernment of labeling people dogs and pigs?

    This is just a general question and I am looking for unbiased responces. I would like for everyone to keep and open mind as I prepared my mind and heart to answer to the non-believer.

  2. #2

    Re: Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.

    Jesus was referring to the practice of parading things sanctified and set apart for God's people only. When we do this we lend opportunity for God's enemies to blaspheme and persecute.

    Dogs and pigs refers symbolically to that which is unclean.

    God loves all men and would have all men come to salvation in Christ and be made clean but until they do they have no right to that which holy, and cannot understand what it is.

    The strong admonition here is against religious ostentation or showing off in a religious sense.

    "For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish: To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life." 2 Co 2:16

  3. #3

    Re: Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Race Runner View Post
    Matthew 7 (NIV)
    6
    “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces."

    This became a topic of a chat I was having with someone and I thought this would be the best place to have this clarified.

    Jesus says the greatest commandment is to Love, but how does love fall into discernment of labeling people dogs and pigs?

    This is just a general question and I am looking for unbiased responces. I would like for everyone to keep and open mind as I prepared my mind and heart to answer to the non-believer.
    How are you going to get an "un-biased" response? Every student of The Word is biased. Forming biases is part of grounding yourself in The Word.
    Having said that, this passage is in line with His command to shake the dust from your feet when the town did not welcome you. He is simply telling us to not waste our time on those with a heart that is Hard to The Gospel. Spend our time witnessing to those who are receptive. Begging people to get saved is something that the modern church does. Jesus never did it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,280
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.

    Here's a most excellent commentary on that passage. CLICK HERE

    Also, here's a case in point.

    I am member of a couple of other bible forums - one of which I do not post much or read much because it is unmoderated and well, it's crazy over there. There is one poster who is an atheist who does not care for a healthy debate, but poses as a christian and posts the most vile psuedo-sermons and pretends to be a "preacher".

    His only purpose in being there and all the other places that I find him is to mock Christ, mock christians, and to cause discord. The mocking "sermons" he posts about everything from why women should not speak or vote to why disabled people are going to hell to why pastors shouldn't have marital relations with their wives are all so sordid and just evil. He is a member of a couple of sites devoted entirely to mocking the church and Christ.

    I'm not going to get into a conversation with that man and try to reach him with the gospel. I'm not saying that he is unreachable, but for anyone who tries to present the truth in love to him is only met with a profane response. And that's what he wants - a fight, an UGLY fight, with christians. I'm not going to give it to him. And I don't post there much anymore because of him.

    It's sad because I did post quite a bit with several other non-believers who were staunch in their unbelief, but never were rude to me and were receptive of our conversations together and I posted with several believers who were coming out of abusive churches and who were questioning their faith. But I can't post there anymore because of the unmoderated chaos that now reigns there.

    I do pray for this particular man and have left a few posts telling him that I do.

    Why do I pray for him if I won't reach out to him? Because in the beginning of the same chapter of Matthew 7 that your non-believer friend is having a hard time with, Jesus says we can't judge people, but that we should have much discernment towards people. I don't know why this horrible man has turned out like he is and except for the grace of God - he could be me!

    Tell your friend to read the entire Sermon on the Mount - chapter 5-7. He might gain some insight into a lot of things.

    ".....it's your nickel"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    747

    Re: Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.

    I of course agree largely with the other replies but...

    I have been thinking about this a lot lately because a friend of mine at work often wants to talk about religion. He isn't a believer but has a big interest in religions. He has been slightly involved in Scientology and is currently into Zen and Buddhist practice.

    I bring this up because it is very strange how similar most religions and Christianity are. Of course my friend sees them all as pretty much the same. But, what if all other religions are created from the "pearls" of true worship and true practice??

    There is so much in Zen practice for instance that is really great and beneficial... but it leaves Jesus and God out. That is of course its down fall but how would people who don't know God have come to any of these conclusions... except that a demon shows them.... or that they are given "pearls" by some Believer and they then "trample the pearl" by destroying its true value by leaving God out or inserting a different God. And eventually they "turn around and tear" Christianity to pieces... well... the believers anyways. Maybe that "tearing" is literal as in the case of a war of some sort or putting Christians to death or it could be simply in conversation... having a rebuttal for an argument they have heard before... who knows. Just a thought.

    However this is all just some musings and not the direct or first interpretation.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    12,092

    Re: Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Race Runner View Post
    Matthew 7 (NIV)
    6
    “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces."

    This became a topic of a chat I was having with someone and I thought this would be the best place to have this clarified.

    Jesus says the greatest commandment is to Love, but how does love fall into discernment of labeling people dogs and pigs?

    This is just a general question and I am looking for unbiased responces. I would like for everyone to keep and open mind as I prepared my mind and heart to answer to the non-believer.
    Good question. Here's what I think.... First, here's the passage in context.

    Matt 7:1-6

    7 " Do not judge so that you will not be judged. 2 "For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. 3 "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 4 " Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye? 5 "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

    6 " Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.
    NASU

    Jesus is talking about judging others. And he tell us that we will be judged in the same way we judge others! (In that case, let me be merciful because I need lots of mercy!)

    Once, I asked the Lord how I could see the speck if I had a log in my eye. It didn't make sense to me. The Lord gave me an answer I did not expect! He said "The log prevents you from seeing the eye". Wow! Now, remember when you were a child and you got something in your eye? Was your mom more worried about the speck, or your eye? Your eye! Of course! The greatest command is to love. When we love someone, we are much more concerned about the person (the eye) than we are the sin (the speck). Once we love them, then we can see clearly to get the speck out because at that time, we love the eye and we see the person and know the person is what's important. We can then help get the speck out because we love them.

    As an example, remember the woman caught in adultery? The pharisees wanted her dead. They saw the speck. Jesus, saw the woman and he was concerned about her! Our focus should be more on the person for only then can we help them with their sin.

    Let us be careful that our judgment is such that we show mercy and not condemnation!

    Now, 1 Cor 5 speaks about turning someone over to Satan for judgement. Remember that in that passage, he was sleeping with his father's wife! Sick! He was turned over to the "swine and dogs" so that he could be taught to live right.

    In Matthew 18, the man who refused to forgive his friend was thrown into prison and turned over to the tormentors because he refused to forgive as he had been forgiven.

    So, when we judge others, we are basically turning them over to the tormenters, to Satan, to the swine and dogs. Do not throw what is holy to the swine. Do not give the pearls of great price to the swine. For if you judge wrongly, they will turn and tear you to pieces!

    Grace to you,

    Mark
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  7. #7

    Re: Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    I of course agree largely with the other replies but...

    I have been thinking about this a lot lately because a friend of mine at work often wants to talk about religion. He isn't a believer but has a big interest in religions. He has been slightly involved in Scientology and is currently into Zen and Buddhist practice.

    I bring this up because it is very strange how similar most religions and Christianity are. Of course my friend sees them all as pretty much the same. But, what if all other religions are created from the "pearls" of true worship and true practice??

    There is so much in Zen practice for instance that is really great and beneficial... but it leaves Jesus and God out. That is of course its down fall but how would people who don't know God have come to any of these conclusions... except that a demon shows them.... or that they are given "pearls" by some Believer and they then "trample the pearl" by destroying its true value by leaving God out or inserting a different God. And eventually they "turn around and tear" Christianity to pieces... well... the believers anyways. Maybe that "tearing" is literal as in the case of a war of some sort or putting Christians to death or it could be simply in conversation... having a rebuttal for an argument they have heard before... who knows. Just a thought.

    However this is all just some musings and not the direct or first interpretation.
    Satan created false religions to contain much truth. The more truth they contain, the more appealing they are.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    747

    Re: Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    Satan created false religions to contain much truth. The more truth they contain, the more appealing they are.
    That is most assuredly true. But perhaps man created some?

    I think Matthew 7:1-6 is talking about hypocritical judgment. Do not do that. However i think that verse 7 is about being being discerning.

    We are to be discerning but we are not to judge non christians however we ARE supposed to judge Christians.

    1 Corinthians 5:12 It isn't my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning.

  9. #9

    Re: Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Race Runner
    Jesus says the greatest commandment is to Love, but how does love fall into discernment of labeling people dogs and pigs?
    He was speaking in metaphor. He doesn't expect us to go about throwing pearls at people's feet, anymore than he expects us to call people dogs or pigs.

    Like he told the Apostles in Matthew 10: if they were to go to a town to proclaim the gospel of the kingdom, and the people of the town utterly rejected them, they were not to waste their time trying to convince the townsfolk to listen to the gospel. They already heard if, they rejected it, so the Apostles needed to move on to somewhere else that would be a better use of their time and energy and focus.

    It's not a matter of not loving people. It's a matter of recognizing when their hearts are too hard to be moved by your love. You obviously continue to love them, but you just can't continue pouring your energy into them once they've completely shut you out.

    Jesus' point was: Don't waste your time with people who make it painfully clear that they aren't interested in the kingdom of God.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Palm City, Florida
    Posts
    29

    Re: Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Let us be careful that our judgment is such that we show mercy and not condemnation!

    Now, 1 Cor 5 speaks about turning someone over to Satan for judgement. Remember that in that passage, he was sleeping with his father's wife! Sick! He was turned over to the "swine and dogs" so that he could be taught to live right.

    In Matthew 18, the man who refused to forgive his friend was thrown into prison and turned over to the tormentors because he refused to forgive as he had been forgiven.

    So, when we judge others, we are basically turning them over to the tormenters, to Satan, to the swine and dogs. Do not throw what is holy to the swine. Do not give the pearls of great price to the swine. For if you judge wrongly, they will turn and tear you to pieces!
    A fine answer. This comes from true wisdom and understanding. It is a holy act to pass judgment. It is a pearl to set discernment (which by definition means to judge with an expert opinion). If I take this holy act and pearl and use it carelessly and thoughtlessly, then those who see me as a teacher of the scripture will only use this to condemn me and use it as positive proof that I don't have this "Christian thing" down and would easily use it to point fingers and add it to the excuses as to why they don't follow Jesus.

    As for the use of the labels "dogs" and "pigs", I agree with IMINXTC, these are symbols of what is not holy to the Jews.

    Thanks for clearing this up. When I had the conversation I had to stop and think myself as to why, but like the scripture says...

    Proverbs 24:6 (NIV)
    6 Surely you need guidance to wage war,
    and victory is won through many advisers.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    12,092

    Re: Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.

    I think the "pearls" are other believers. For instance, Jesus in the kingdom parables talks about a "pearl of great price" that a merchant goes and sells everything he has to buy that pearl. Jesus sold everything he had to buy just one believer. He bought us and he searched for us, not the other way around. When we throw a "pearl" to the swine and dogs, (think gossip, slander, misjudging, etc.) then we too will find ourselves "judged in the same manner we judged others". We will be torn in the same way.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  12. #12

    Re: Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    I think the "pearls" are other believers. For instance, Jesus in the kingdom parables talks about a "pearl of great price" that a merchant goes and sells everything he has to buy that pearl. Jesus sold everything he had to buy just one believer. He bought us and he searched for us, not the other way around. When we throw a "pearl" to the swine and dogs, (think gossip, slander, misjudging, etc.) then we too will find ourselves "judged in the same manner we judged others". We will be torn in the same way.
    The pearl in this instance is The Gospel and the preaching of The Gospel.

  13. #13

    Re: Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    Satan created false religions to contain much truth. The more truth they contain, the more appealing they are.
    THIS!!! Since coming to faith and beginning to read and study just how FAR and WIDE the "Christian" faith goes, I have become blown away and frightened by Reynold's statement above! The more I read the bible and the more I understand Satan's ways the more I see how Satan likes to use as close to 100% of the truth as possible as long as the little portion that isn't right is enough to make us fall. Heck, go read the dialogue between Jesus and Satan himself and it makes the hair on the back of my head stand up!!!! If Satan thinks he could pull one over on Jesus how in the world are we to not be deceived? If you say Holy Spirit, God, whatever, didn't Jesus have MORE of that then you? One of the big things that I find AMAZING from that dialogue between Satan and Jesus is that Jesus uses/knows SCRIPTURE to counter Satan and doesn't just come out and say "I AM GOD AND YOU ARE NOT", rather, Jesus uses God's word in scripture (the same thing we have) to counter Satan. Simply amazing when you stop and think that the creator of the freaking universe uses SCRIPTURE to "debate" with Satan!

    Now the part that stinks, MOST of scripture is freaking hard to understand, plus you have a bunch of people claiming that the English translations have been translated poorly and skew basic doctrine. So much of what Paul writes is difficult to understand to Peter in the first century and here I am 2,000 years later, out of touch with that culture and I haven't been schooled directly by Jesus for 3 years..... sure seems like a daunting task!

    Not sure what point I am making if any point at all other then to say that I feel that God knows the things I am posting above to be true and recognizes the hurdles and if I humble myself and ask putting HIM first I believe He will come through. However, truly putting someone else first is pretty darn impossible for a sinner... I want to do it, I claim to do it, but we are built to ultimately look out for #1 almost subconsciously!

  14. #14

    Re: Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    The pearl in this instance is The Gospel and the preaching of The Gospel.
    I agree, the pearl is the truth... the pearl is what Jesus Christ did for us!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    12,092

    Re: Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    The pearl in this instance is The Gospel and the preaching of The Gospel.
    Why do you think that is so in this case? In context, is he talking about preaching the gospel?
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: Aug 23rd 2011, 04:58 PM
  2. Oh wow. Designer pigs.
    By bdh in forum Breaking News
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Jul 23rd 2011, 09:30 AM
  3. Pigs have Flown!!!
    By MaddJack in forum Christian Fellowship
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Feb 11th 2010, 06:29 AM
  4. What The Pearls Teach Us
    By ConqueredbyLove in forum Devotions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jun 13th 2009, 07:05 PM
  5. do not throw your pearls before pigs
    By Partaker of Christ in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Feb 20th 2009, 01:09 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •