Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: By their fruit you shall know them. Works or fruit?

By their fruit you shall know them. Works or fruit?

We often see on this board statements about "By their fruit you shall know them." Does that mean works to you? What fruit do you think the Lord Jesus was referring to?
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

Re: By their fruit you shall know them. Works or fruit?

To me this means the fruit of the Spirit:

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is: love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, Gal 5:23 meekness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

Eph 5:8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord; walk as children of light Eph 5:9 (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth), Eph 5:10 proving what is acceptable to the Lord.

From the fruits of the Spirit flow the works and the works will show that the testimony of our mouth lines up with the testimony of our heart and the testimony of our heart will be the fruits of the Spirit. To me this is a never ending circle which confirms our testimony that we are His and He is our Lord and Saviour. Please correct me if I have it wrong but this is how I see it.

Blog Entries

The context of what Jesus said was identifying false prophets. So the fruit is true or false prophecies.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    We often see on this board statements about "By their fruit you shall know them." Does that mean works to you? What fruit do you think the Lord Jesus was referring to?
    In the way your stating the question, I'd say the fruit that's being referred to here is the outward actions of a person. I take it to mean you will know them by there actions more so than what they claim to be. Just my $.02.
    This Space For Rent

By their fruits you shall know them points to Galatians 4 whether the fruits of the flesh or the fruits of the Spirit. The fruits of the flesh when manifested is those deeds done in the flesh.

So one could use 'deeds' or 'works' to speak of those things shown that one walks according to the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post
    The context of what Jesus said was identifying false prophets. So the fruit is true or false prophecies.
    Luk 6:41 And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not notice the plank in your own eye?
    Luk 6:42 Or how can you say to your brother, 'Brother, permit me to remove the speck which is in your eye,' when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck which is in your brother's eye.
    Luk 6:43 "For a good tree does not produce rotten fruit, nor does a rotten tree produce good fruit.
    Luk 6:44 For each tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a thorn bush.
    Luk 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth that which is evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
    Luk 6:46 "But why do you call Me 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do the things which I say?
    Luk 6:47 Everyone who comes to Me, and hears My words and does them, I will show you to whom he is like:
    Luk 6:48 He is like a man building a house, who dug and went deep and laid a foundation on the rock. And when a flood occurred, the stream burst upon that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock.
    Luk 6:49 But he who hears and does not do is like a man building a house on the ground without a foundation, against which the stream burst upon; and immediately it fell. And the breaking of that house was great."

Love, grace, mercy, forgiveness

Loving the unlovable, loving your enemy, going the extra mile, turning the other cheek etc..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Luk 6:41 And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not notice the plank in your own eye?
    Luk 6:42 Or how can you say to your brother, 'Brother, permit me to remove the speck which is in your eye,' when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck which is in your brother's eye.
    Luk 6:43 "For a good tree does not produce rotten fruit, nor does a rotten tree produce good fruit.
    Luk 6:44 For each tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a thorn bush.
    Luk 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth that which is evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
    Luk 6:46 "But why do you call Me 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do the things which I say?
    Luk 6:47 Everyone who comes to Me, and hears My words and does them, I will show you to whom he is like:
    Luk 6:48 He is like a man building a house, who dug and went deep and laid a foundation on the rock. And when a flood occurred, the stream burst upon that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock.
    Luk 6:49 But he who hears and does not do is like a man building a house on the ground without a foundation, against which the stream burst upon; and immediately it fell. And the breaking of that house was great."

Love, grace, mercy, forgiveness

Loving the unlovable, loving your enemy, going the extra mile, turning the other cheek etc..
    I was taking Mark's quote to be Matthew 7 . . .

Matthew 7:15–20 (1901 ASV)
    15Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravening wolves. 16By their fruits ye shall know them. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but the corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20Therefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Blog Entries

I was taking Mark's quote to be Matthew 7 . . .

Matthew 7:15–20 (1901 ASV)
    15Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravening wolves. 16By their fruits ye shall know them. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but the corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20Therefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
    That's the scripture that popped into my mind. "By their fruits ye shall know them". False prophets. We will recognize them not by their works, because their works can be deceptively "good". But we will recognize them by the fruit of their labor. People will not saved, but led astray. The gospel will not be proclaimed, but lies will be. Etc...
    ".....it's your nickel"

Blog Entries

He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful. But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
    (Mat 13:22-23)

This to me, is plainly about the fruit of the Spirit of God that leads our lives the day we give our lives to Him. That is the proof that we are saved. The fruit of the spirit of God is what calls us to do the "works" listed in Galations 5, as opposed to the 'works' of the flesh that we all showed before we repented and began to live for Jesus.

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
    (Gal 5:19-25)

Can you expound on that? What then are the "sheep's clothing"? And what is one to do that doesn't know much truth?
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    In the way your stating the question, I'd say the fruit that's being referred to here is the outward actions of a person. I take it to mean you will know them by there actions more so than what they claim to be. Just my $.02.
    I ask this to you, but in reality, it could be asked to everyone in the thread. What fruit did Lot display, especially at the end of his story in scripture?
    NASU

Blog Entries

Can you expound on that? What then are the "sheep's clothing"? And what is one to do that doesn't know much truth?
    Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    That's the scripture that popped into my mind. "By their fruits ye shall know them". False prophets. We will recognize them not by their works, because their works can be deceptively "good". But we will recognize them by the fruit of their labor. People will not saved, but led astray. The gospel will not be proclaimed, but lies will be. Etc...
    I think Jayne pointed in the right direction. They look one way on the outside, but are something else entirely. I think Mormonism fits this description very well. They live good lives. Their divorce rate is better than that of the church. But their doctrine is ultimately false.

I think Jayne pointed in the right direction. They look one way on the outside, but are something else entirely. I think Mormonism fits this description very well. They live good lives. Their divorce rate is better than that of the church. But their doctrine is ultimately false.
    OK. I am in agreement with you and Jayne. Too often I see the comments about "you will know them by their fruits" applied to someone's salvation. I have a hard time with that because of examples in scripture. How much time do we spend studying someone's fruit? Do we see them up close and personal? Are we gathering the information from news sources? etc...

IMO, much of the fruit of the Spirit can be hidden for a while. What fruit did Lot have at the end of his life? His deeds looked bad, but the NT calls him righteous.
    NASU

Blog Entries

OK. I am in agreement with you and Jayne. Too often I see the comments about "you will know them by their fruits" applied to someone's salvation. I have a hard time with that because of examples in scripture. How much time do we spend studying someone's fruit? Do we see them up close and personal? Are we gathering the information from news sources? etc...

IMO, much of the fruit of the Spirit can be hidden for a while. What fruit did Lot have at the end of his life? His deeds looked bad, but the NT calls him righteous.
    I wonder if the fruit of the Spirit is more so I can judge myself rather than so I can examine you and everyone else.

I wonder if the fruit of the Spirit is more so I can judge myself rather than so I can examine you and everyone else.
    I think so. And I am glad you make that point. It goes with the spirit of the thread.

When I first got saved, I was still steeped in gross sin. God dealt with me first on things that I thought were not that big a deal, but to Him, were HUGE. My gross sin he dealt with 3 months after I got saved. Had someone "inspected" my fruit, they would have seen my deeds and wondered.

But I had peace, I had faith, I had joy. All these are fruit of the spirit. But I was still walking in the flesh and doing deeds of the flesh.

So how can one know if another is saved or not? How can one know if someone is carnal or lost? I think there are clues, but we need to be careful with such judgments of people we are not close to, and even ones we are close to. Even then, our attitudes are revealing. I remember telling my family that my brother wasn't saved. It wasn't because of his lifestyle that I believed that to be the case. I also wasn't thinking that to tear him down or put him in his place. It was a genuine concern for his salvation. He ended up getting saved later. But through all of it, he attended church faithfully for years.

Anyway, glad you are posting in this thread. It's bringing clarity for me.
    NASU

Thread Information