cure-real

View Poll Results: Sickness

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • God puts sickness on people as punishment.

1 7.14%
  • The devil oppresses people with sickness.

2 14.29%
  • Sickness is a natural occurrence based upon chance or genetics.

5 35.71%
  • God judges but the devil is the executioner of sickness.

0 0%
  • Some other option because folks are really picking apart the others. ;0)

6 42.86%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What Does Your Church Teach?

Re: What Does Your Church Teach?

Quote Originally Posted by VerticalReality View Post
    Would you care to provide testimony of the circumstances surrounding these healings? I really do not understand the controversy surrounding this topic.
    We've had multiple healings in my church. A lady that had cancer, was bald, had less than a couple of months to live was healed instantly and is still alive today. A couple in our church was barren, and felt God had not honored his promises to them concerning a child. They asked the pastor and the pastor heard God. God told them to put the "child" on the altar to him. They did so and within a week, she was expecting. My pastor's wife was healed of Chron's disease before they started our little church. She was healed through someone with the gift of healing. The lady just laid her hands on her and she was healed.

My personal belief is that God will use illness for testing as he did with Job. I also believe he will allow us to die by disease as he did Elisha, who went out in the same glory as did Elijah. I also believe in the gift of healing for today and that God desires to heal many. Also, sometimes it is the one doing the praying and other times it is the one being healed that lack faith. Other times, it is because we are being tested (i.e. Job) and healing won't come till the test is over. Sometimes we are sick because we sin. I could give other examples but I think that is enough.

My church believes the same as I outlined above.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by glad4mercy View Post
    I will share a personal experience.

When I was a child, I had a severe learning disability, and had to attend special ed. My mother was praying for me, and one day in class, while they were teaching me ABCs, I walked up to the board and began writing in cursive. I went from not knowing how to print properly to writing in cursive almost in an instant. When they did some tests on me they found that my reading comprehension level and other learning skills had radically increased seemingly overnight. I was removed from Special ed shortly afterwards. Where once I struggled with reading, I quickly became an avid reader. By the time I was in Junior High school, I had the reading comprehension of an upper level college student.

I really don't see any controversy surrounding healing. We should pray for healing in faith, and let God do what He pleases. It's rather simple to me.
    Awesome testimony! Thanks for sharing! Would you happen to know how your mother prayed for you? I don't know what you believe in this area, but I happen to believe that God has given parents a level of authority over their children.
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Blog Entries

Awesome testimony! Thanks for sharing! Would you happen to know how your mother prayed for you? I don't know what you believe in this area, but I happen to believe that God has given parents a level of authority over their children.
    I do not know the precise words that she prayed, but she told me years later that she prayed for me to be healed, and then one day she got a phone call from the school from a very happy and amazed teacher. I remember the day I went up to the board and wrote in cursive very clearly. I walked up to the board and first printed the letters, then I said, "what about if we do this?", and began to write in cursive below the printed letters. God is Good.
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

"My heart was once hard and dark. Then God turned on the Light and the Water."

I do not know the precise words that she prayed, but she told me years later that she prayed for me to be healed, and then one day she got a phone call from the school from a very happy and amazed teacher. I remember the day I went up to the board and wrote in cursive very clearly. I walked up to the board and first printed the letters, then I said, "what about if we do this?", and began to write in cursive below the printed letters. God is Good.
    Yes, He is. Now, what would you say to a testimony from a man healed of a malignant tumor the size of a softball on the outside of his chest who, before his healing, believed the same things as you do on God's sovereignty with regard to healing, but could not be healed himself until he changed that belief?
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Blog Entries

Yes, He is. Now, what would you say to a testimony from a man healed of a malignant tumor the size of a softball on the outside of his chest who, before his healing, believed the same things as you do on God's sovereignty with regard to healing, but could not be healed himself until he changed that belief?
    I would say Praise the Lord and rejoice with him!!! That is a wonderful testimony and miracle! Are you referring to yourself?

As far as what I would say to that person regarding his new beliefs and convictions regarding miracles, I would not comment on that at all, as I am in no position to try to explain or commentate on the workings of God in another person's life. I would just rejoice in the miracle. I would also take that testimony into consideration as I continue to seek to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ. To be honest though, I probably will not change my beliefs until I am convinced otherwise by the clear and explicit teaching of the Bible. I am studying the Bible dilligently, so if you are right, I am certain that God will reveal it to me in time, because my beliefs are held captive to the Word of God.

As you and I grow in the Grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ, I am assured that God will lead us into all truth as we submit and subject ourselves to His Word.

Philippians 3: 16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained.
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

I would say Praise the Lord and rejoice with him!!! That is a wonderful testimony and miracle! Are you referring to yourself?
    No, not me. The man's testimony is at the below link.

http://www.awmi.net/tv/2011/week3

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Blog Entries

No, not me. The man's testimony is at the below link.

http://www.awmi.net/tv/2011/week3
    I am not able to look at this at this time, I will check it out later. As in my previous answer, I would rejoice with him, yet his testimony by itself would not be enough to convince me to change my beliefs. I would have to be convinced by the Word of God to change my beliefs. Our beliefs must be governed by the Word of God, not by experiences or events. I am not saying that he was not healed, I am just saying that his change in belief was not necessarily what led to his healing.

I am not able to look at this at this time, I will check it out later. As in my previous answer, I would rejoice with him, yet his testimony by itself would not be enough to convince me to change my beliefs. I would have to be convinced by the Word of God to change my beliefs. Our beliefs must be governed by the Word of God, not by experiences or events. I am not saying that he was not healed, I am just saying that his change in belief was not necessarily what led to his healing.
    I believe many Christians form their beliefs by faulty interpretations of the word of God. This man's testimony is a perfect example. I mean, it wasn't like he wasn't going by the word of God prior to his healing. It was just that his interpretation of the word of God was off.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

I do have a question, though, for those who believe God will put sickness on people for testing purposes or for punishment. Why, if God does do this, should Christians be permitted to take medication or have surgery in order to thwart His will? If they are to be obedient, shouldn't they submit fully to His will and allow the full effect of His testing?

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

I do have a question, though, for those who believe God will put sickness on people for testing purposes or for punishment. Why, if God does do this, should Christians be permitted to take medication or have surgery in order to thwart His will? If they are to be obedient, shouldn't they submit fully to His will and allow the full effect of His testing?
    Did Job scrape his sores? Or did he simply ignore them? Was he being tested?
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

I believe many Christians form their beliefs by fautly interpretations of the word of God. This man's testimony is a perfect example. I mean, it wasn't like he wasn't going by the word of God prior to his healing. It was just that his interpretation of the word of God was off.
    I do not claim to be infallible, but I do follow the proper rules of hermeneutics when I study the Bible, and more importantly I depend on the Holy Spirit to teach me, and do my best to approach the Word without presuppositions. I believe that the ones who God teaches are those who come to Him as little children.

Blog Entries

I do not believe God puts sickness on His obedient children, but He may allow it, just as God does not tempt anyone, but He allows us to be tempted and tried in order to strengthen our faith, and develop patience and endurance. When He has tried me, I shall come forth like gold. (Job) What comforts me is that sickness does not last forever.

My mother died of a stroke in 1997. I prayed for God to heal her and even claimed it. When the doctor pronounced her dead, I even prayed that God would raise her from the dead, believing that God could do so if He chose. He did not heal her or raise her from the dead. At that point, I could have gotten upset, discouraged and wondered why God hadnt answered my prayers, and even gotten mad at God or I could have taken comfort that my mother was saved, in heaven and that I would see her again. I chose the latter. Should I have questioned my own faith, because God didnt heal my mother?

On another front, unrelated to my mother, when the leper in Matthew 8 said "Lord if you are willing you can heal me." Jesus did not say I am willing but I will not heal you, because you question my will, He said "I will, be cleansed." This shows that the words " God if you are willing" do not indicate unbelief, nor do they necessarily hinder healing. Unbelief is when you know God's Will and question it. When someone is sick, we have no way of knowing if God intends to heal or to call that person home. We all die sooner or later, unless we get to be alive when Jesus returns. I look at going to heaven as complete and total healing.

Blog Entries

So, are you saying that is what your church teaches?
    Yes. Our church teaches us to be Godly under all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Did Job scrape his sores? Or did he simply ignore them? Was he being tested?
    I'm not following you. Are you saying that a person should take medication or have surgery to circumvent God's will?

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

I do not claim to be infallible, but I do follow the proper rules of hermeneutics when I study the Bible, and more importantly I depend on the Holy Spirit to teach me, and do my best to approach the Word without presuppositions. I believe that the ones who God teaches are those who come to Him as little children.
    I'm not saying I disagree with you. However, what I am saying is the guy in the video probably would have said the same thing.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Thread Information