cure-real

View Poll Results: Sickness

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • God puts sickness on people as punishment.

    1 7.14%
  • The devil oppresses people with sickness.

    2 14.29%
  • Sickness is a natural occurrence based upon chance or genetics.

    5 35.71%
  • God judges but the devil is the executioner of sickness.

    0 0%
  • Some other option because folks are really picking apart the others. ;0)

    6 42.86%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 88

Thread: What Does Your Church Teach?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,279

    What Does Your Church Teach?

    What does your church teach on the topic of sickness? Please vote!

    If you would like to elaborate, that is fine as well.
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

    -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Monrovia Ca
    Posts
    2,293
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: What Does Your Church Teach?

    My church teaches that sickness can be caused by the first three options in your poll. It can be a chastening from the Lord to get us to open our eyes and repent, ( Revelation 2:20-23), it can be caused by satan's attack on our bodies, ( For example Job). and it is also a part of life that most if not all have to go through at some point(s). We also believe that sickness and infirmity is sometimes allowed by God, ( not caused but allowed), in order to refine us and perfect us spiritually, just as all trials can be used by God for this purpose. A good example is Paul's thorn in the flesh.

    Discernment is sometimes needed to distinguish if a sickness is a chastening of the Lord, an attack from the devil, or just the result of living in a fallen world, but the teaching that sickness is always a result of personal sin or unbelief is unbiblical.
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

    2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

    "My heart was once hard and dark. Then God turned on the Light and the Water."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Below the Mason Dixon
    Posts
    9,732

    Re: What Does Your Church Teach?

    Quote Originally Posted by VerticalReality View Post
    What does your church teach on the topic of sickness? Please vote!

    If you would like to elaborate, that is fine as well.
    I believe that Satan/the curse is the cause of sickness.
    My Church teaches whatever is convenient at the moment or sounds good at a funeral.

    The next time I hear a preacher at a funeral say "God needed another angel,"
    or anything else of that nature, I am going to get up and walk out.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Below the Mason Dixon
    Posts
    9,732

    Re: What Does Your Church Teach?

    Quote Originally Posted by glad4mercy View Post
    My church teaches that sickness can be caused by the first three options in your poll. It can be a chastening from the Lord to get us to open our eyes and repent, ( Revelation 2:20-23), it can be caused by satan's attack on our bodies, ( For example Job). and it is also a part of life that most if not all have to go through at some point(s). We also believe that sickness and infirmity is sometimes allowed by God, ( not caused but allowed), in order to refine us and perfect us spiritually, just as all trials can be used by God for this purpose. A good example is Paul's thorn in the flesh.

    Discernment is sometimes needed to distinguish if a sickness is a chastening of the Lord, an attack from the devil, or just the result of living in a fallen world, but the teaching that sickness is always a result of personal sin or unbelief is unbiblical.
    Teaching that sickness is caused by The Lord is totally unbiblical in the dispensation of grace.
    Someone in our church recently was hurt very badly. I have heard a couple of people attribute it to The Lord. The truth is when you do something totally stupid, there are consequences. God did not make you do it and He did not hurt you when you did it. God uses many things that He is not the author of. Satan attacks for many reasons. Some we open the door to. Some He is simply opposing the spread of the Gospel.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Monrovia Ca
    Posts
    2,293
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: What Does Your Church Teach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    Teaching that sickness is caused by The Lord is totally unbiblical in the dispensation of grace.
    Someone in our church recently was hurt very badly. I have heard a couple of people attribute it to The Lord. The truth is when you do something totally stupid, there are consequences. God did not make you do it and He did not hurt you when you did it. God uses many things that He is not the author of. Satan attacks for many reasons. Some we open the door to. Some He is simply opposing the spread of the Gospel.
    I don't know if you read my entire post. I didnt say that sickness was caused by the LORD. Did you read Revelation 2:20-23? Those who were recipients of the book of Revelation were under the dispensation of Grace, were they not? God does not cause sickness, but He may allow it in order to get our attention when we are living in disobedience or willful sin. Perhaps, if we are being disobedient or rebellious to God's Will, sometimes that rebellion causes the hedge of protection to be lifted, allowing satan to attack our bodies. What about Paul's warning regarding those who partake of the Lord's supper unworthily, that some had died or had become sick, because they did not "discern the Lord's body".

    Additionally, sickness is sometimes caused pychosomatically by a guilty conscience. I have experienced this myself.

    I do not think that sickness is usually caused by sin or by satanic attack, I think most of the time it is the result of living in a fallen world in frail, fragile bodies that have been weakened by the fall. That is why I was careful to say that the teaching that sickness is always or usually caused by personal sin or unbelief is unbiblical.
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

    2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

    "My heart was once hard and dark. Then God turned on the Light and the Water."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,360
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What Does Your Church Teach?

    I voted for "some other", not because people were picking apart the others, and not because the option at that point gave me a laugh .... but because I think there may be a combination.

    This seems a questions put forth, possible brought about by teachings such as WOF, who tell us that sin is the reason. Well, I decided a long time ago that if sin is the only reason for sickness, we ALL may as well get in line to see what illness will have drawn.

    Thoughs on it....imho, and perspective..
    1)Is it possible that the consequences of sin can make us sick, I would say yes, definitely. But, that is not saying that because we sin, we are going to be punished, and God will make us sick. I'm thinking Jesus died to pay for our sins, so for God to punish us for our sins seems to be backing up, BUT, I do think that God will do or allow whatever it takes to get our attention and bring us to where He wants us to be. And if that requires us being sick then sick we will be....

    2)We live in a fallen world, that simple, it stinks
    --No matter our circumstances, when put in the hands of Almighty and Loving God, we can overcome in Jesus.

    --Is it fair. Probably not. But fair is not the issue, though I understand that feeling. The thing is, living in a fallen world, it probably is not fair, but no matter the situation, put in God's hands we are victorious in Him, we CAN glorify His name. He can refine us into the finished product of fine gold.
    -----(Example-best I could come up with)Just think, the person born blind, learns the Bible cover to cover. The person who has 20/20 vision all their life never opens it. What a glorious reward for the one born blind. A reward that is great, even beyond those who had good vision and also learned the Bible cover to cover....

    3)As mentioned, there is our refinement

    4)There is our testing, which is also related to refinement really. What will we do when pushed up against the wall, in a corner. Will we hang on to the One we profess to believe in and professed to have placed our complete trust and faith in. We are going to be tested, it's gonna happen, one way or another

    5)9 out of 10 messes we find our selves in, we caused ourselves, cause we are stupid... I mean, we always consider ourselves living according to His will and being obedient. But, imho, if we really were paying attention we would have avoided a good many of our problems we are now begging God to help us with. (Not necessarily related to sickness on this one...sorry)

    Anyway, my point is, God will do or allow whatever it takes to refine us as fine gold, and fire burns, it hurts, it makes us or breaks us, as the saying goes. And I am saying this from the perspective of someone who has.. fallen, stumbled, been an idiot, felt crushed and forgotten....and is just stupid most days. But in Him, I was really never any of those things. In Him, I was cleansed and saved by His mercy and grace and He never let go or "forgot" me.

    It is probably not "fair" from our perspective. But in Christ Jesus, we will overcome and become as He desires us to be, we will be perfected. We need to always try our best to consider all these things from His perspective, and His perspective is ....whatever it takes, even unto His own dying on the Cross




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,279

    Re: What Does Your Church Teach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    I believe that Satan/the curse is the cause of sickness.
    My Church teaches whatever is convenient at the moment or sounds good at a funeral.

    The next time I hear a preacher at a funeral say "God needed another angel,"
    or anything else of that nature, I am going to get up and walk out.
    Yeah, that one really gets under my skin as well.
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

    -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,279

    Re: What Does Your Church Teach?

    I would like to reiterate the purpose of this thread. This thread is not so much about what you believe. This thread is about what your church teaches.
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

    -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Monrovia Ca
    Posts
    2,293
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: What Does Your Church Teach?

    Quote Originally Posted by VerticalReality View Post
    Yeah, that one really gets under my skin as well.
    I would not say that at a funeral, but it is true that "precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of His saints". Death is painful for those who are left behind, but death, ( while a horrible, terrible thing called the last enemy) is a glorious entrance into the presence of the Lord for believers. Death itself is not good, but God brings good out of it for the believer, just as He brings good out of everything.

    When we have finished our race, God takes us home to receive our reward.
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

    2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

    "My heart was once hard and dark. Then God turned on the Light and the Water."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Below the Mason Dixon
    Posts
    9,732

    Re: What Does Your Church Teach?

    Quote Originally Posted by glad4mercy View Post
    I would not say that at a funeral, but it is true that "precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of His saints". Death is painful for those who are left behind, but death, ( while a horrible, terrible thing called the last enemy) is a glorious entrance into the presence of the Lord for believers. Death itself is not good, but God brings good out of it for the believer, just as He brings good out of everything.

    When we have finished our race, God takes us home to receive our reward.
    God does not "need" us in heaven and we do not become an "angel." Tell a 6 year old kid that God "needed" His Daddy in heaven more than the kid "needed" him here on earth.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,279

    Re: What Does Your Church Teach?

    Quote Originally Posted by glad4mercy View Post
    I would not say that at a funeral, but it is true that "precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of His saints". Death is painful for those who are left behind, but death, ( while a horrible, terrible thing called the last enemy) is a glorious entrance into the presence of the Lord for believers. Death itself is not good, but God brings good out of it for the believer, just as He brings good out of everything.

    When we have finished our race, God takes us home to receive our reward.
    Let us also recognize, though, that the context of Psalm 116:15 is about death and not sickness. In other words, we cannot reword that Psalm to read something like, "precious in the eyes of the Lord, is a premature death of his saints by some awful, disease-ridden means."
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

    -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Monrovia Ca
    Posts
    2,293
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: What Does Your Church Teach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    God does not "need" us in heaven and we do not become an "angel." Tell a 6 year old kid that God "needed" His Daddy in heaven more than the kid "needed" him here on earth.
    I never said such a thing, nor would I tell a child something like that. I will not debate this issue with you, for me to to do so would only be insensitive and hurtful to you or others. May the God of all comfort bless and comfort all the dear saints who are struggling with illness and loss.
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

    2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

    "My heart was once hard and dark. Then God turned on the Light and the Water."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,360
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What Does Your Church Teach?

    Quote Originally Posted by VerticalReality View Post
    I would like to reiterate the purpose of this thread. This thread is not so much about what you believe. This thread is about what your church teaches.
    My apologies....................the thoughts came after sorting through what several of my churches in the past have taught




  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Below the Mason Dixon
    Posts
    9,732

    Re: What Does Your Church Teach?

    Quote Originally Posted by glad4mercy View Post
    I never said such a thing, nor would I tell a child something like that. I will not debate this issue with you, for me to to do so would only be insensitive and hurtful to you or others. May the God of all comfort bless and comfort all the dear saints who are struggling with illness and loss.
    I dont care is you "debate" it or not. I am simply telling you what many pastors say at funerals.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Monrovia Ca
    Posts
    2,293
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: What Does Your Church Teach?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    I dont care is you "debate" it or not. I am simply telling you what many pastors say at funerals.
    OK, I get you now. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I have been involved in four different types of churches in my life, ( Baptist as a child, Free Will Baptist as a teen and a young adult, Nazarene for a few years, and now I am non-denominational.) All of these congregations I hold to be my dear brothers and sisters in Christ. I have been in churches for my whole life, and I have never heard a pastor say that God needed someone in heaven more than that person was needed on earth. I only heard that they had faithfully served the Lord, ( if applicable), and were with the Lord in heaven, and that we, ( Christians) would see them again in heaven.
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

    2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

    "My heart was once hard and dark. Then God turned on the Light and the Water."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Teach
    By goykodesh in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct 20th 2009, 04:57 PM
  2. Need help preparing to teach a lesson in children's church this Sunday
    By *Living~By~Faith* in forum Christian Fellowship
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Feb 16th 2009, 03:48 AM
  3. Teach Me
    By paidforinfull in forum Poetry
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Oct 16th 2008, 02:06 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •