cure-real
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Complete surrender

Complete surrender

Have you or do you struggle with complete surrender to God? Now in this, I am not asking have you overcome. What I am asking is, do you desire, deep down, to submit yourself completely over to the Lord and His care. If so, what got you to that point? If not, what do you think is holding you back? If those questions are too personal, then what do you think keeps people from complete surrender?

What recommendations do you have for those that are not yet fully surrendered?

Thanks,

Mark
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

Re: Complete surrender

I came to the end of myself, it wasn't anything more complicated than that. I realised that I was my own worst enemy, that I could never be the person God wanted me to be in my own strength.

The Lord had speaking to me about holiness, and I knew that the level of holiness He was asking of me, was more than I could do, but I so wanted to please Him. I so wanted to shine for Him, but I was double minded. I lived with a constant conflict between my will and His, and I hated it. I remembered a time when I was new in Christ where the walk was so simple, and I wanted to get back there. I hated my sin, and it was getting me down. I realised that this would never end, unless I died to my own will. The only way I could overcome was to yield and let Him do what He needed to do in me. I believe the Lord made my sin look huge to me, so that I would despair and cry out to Him, that is what I did.

The blessing that came from that, when He lifted that burden from my back, and told me He loves me was tremendous!! He changed my heart and my will, and filled me with such love!! It was life changing!!

What would I recommend to others? Yield and end that inner battle! There is a better way, a way that is directed by love! If your scared to let go, then you don't know the God who holds you in His hands well enough. You don't understand the depth of His love and the height of His mercy, nor His faithfulness! He loves you more than my words can express to you. You need to seek Him and allow Him to show you that love! Then you will know that He can be trusted, and you will gladly surrender everything to Him!

blessings to you
    My soul does GLORIFY the LORD, my spirit REJOICES in GOD MY SAVIOUR
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Have you or do you struggle with complete surrender to God? Now in this, I am not asking have you overcome. What I am asking is, do you desire, deep down, to submit yourself completely over to the Lord and His care. If so, what got you to that point? If not, what do you think is holding you back? If those questions are too personal, then what do you think keeps people from complete surrender?

What recommendations do you have for those that are not yet fully surrendered?

Thanks,

Mark
    At the risk of sounding completely ignorant.

Can you please tell me, in the most simple terms you can, like your talking to a 5 year old, what Complete Surrender means?

Specifically, what does it "look" like? What does it involve? The specific areas of one's life.

Thanks Mark.

Blog Entries

I've came back to say that surrender is a continuous attitude. It can't be a one off event. I surrendered when I came to Christ, but I didn't stay that way. This is a day to day thing. Accepting whatever the Lord wants to do in your life, the good and the seemingly bad. When your life is happy, and you have what you want, then surrender comes easy.When the Lord allows sickness, heartache and grief, it's not so easy, but the Lord gives us what we need in each situation,so we can continue to walk in submission.

blessings to you
    ------
    "To be entirely safe from the devils snares the man of God must be completely obedient to the Word of the Lord. The driver on the highway is safe, not when he reads the signs but when he obeys them." A.W.Tozer

The Lifehouse Skit

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    At the risk of sounding completely ignorant.

Can you please tell me, in the most simple terms you can, like your talking to a 5 year old, what Complete Surrender means?

Specifically, what does it "look" like? What does it involve? The specific areas of one's life.

Thanks Mark.
    Complete trust in and surrender to God and His will. IOW, we don't compartmentalize. For instance, some will say "I surrender my lust to you Lord and I hate it". But their career, they keep for themselves. Or maybe their family, etc. I basically mean turning one's will over completely to God and saying as Jesus did "not my will, but Thine".
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

The beautiful farm in the center of heaven!
    Blog Entries

First I want to say that I am in total agreement with BOTH of Indueseason's posts.

All these questions are the right questions for us to be asking ourselves, and it wasn't until I finally realized that something was missing, that I realized that I wasn't fully surrendered. And it yes it is a daily battle to do so, but I praise my Lord that it gets easier and more frequent now that I know what the issue is....me.
    The more I spent time alone in prayer with God, listening, the more I know Him, and the more I love him and trust him and the more I yearn to see him glorified, which makes me want to just stop being me so He can live through me. And sometimes I just say His name while on my knees and sit there in silence, waiting, seeking hoping to know what to think, to feel, to say, to do or not to do, or say, or feel, or think.

I began to notice too, that there are things that the epistles say about prayer, and I started to pray those things...then one day I noticed other things, like "if we ask anything according to his will" and "if you ask anything in My Name". And I noticed just how dedicated Jesus was/is to the Father's business. And then there was this, Psalm 37:4 "Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart". And "seek his face" and "he is a rewarder of those that diligently seek him". And I began to question what it meant to diligently seek him...to seek his face and I wondered, what does he reward us with? Until I realized that God is our great reward. So that must be it, all my desires, should be for him, about him, to be near him, and I needed to be willing to do whatever it takes to know him more. Do...

So at some point I knelt in prayer and said something to the effect of 'Ok, God I am hungry for you, just you, I want your will and your desires to be placed in my heart, I want to be what you want me to be, I want to be where you want me to be, I want to feel and think what you want me to feel and think. Just clear out all that I am inside of me and make me wholly yours. Make me so hungry for you that I am willing to allow you to rid me of my will and my desires and fill me with YOURS, make me a vessel, holy unto honor for your glory.'

Do you know that when I said that prayer I was painfully aware of a fight within myself? I battle of wills so to speak. Somewhere inside of me, it must have been my flesh, I was screaming...'NO DON'T DO THIS! I am not ready, I don't want this! Can't I follow him without giving up THAT part of me?!' And instead of pretending that fight didn't exist, I confessed it during that prayer session (and many times since) and told God I want to overcome that, I want whatever that is that's fighting to get out of the way and let Him live through me.

That was the beginning of a long journey of fasting and prayer and reading and giving and obedience to the Word, and more of the same. I learned that fasting is one big way to train your flesh to submit to the spirit. And I have and am learning that it is a constant battle, one you have to stay on top of, a prayer that you must pray often in order to keep from losing your way and stumbling back into self again. WE always have this flesh with us so it is a constant battle to keep it in check.

But once you find yourself in that willing state, you easily find yourself walking in the spirit and everything is different. The way you view things and feel things is so different that you wonder why you ever resisted the will of the Father in the first place because it is so much better to walk in the spirit than in the flesh. His love for us and his will for us is so much better than our own but that's so hard for the flesh to see or comprehend because the flesh must die in order for us to walk in the spirit and be who God really intends for us to be. So much joy and peace and understanding and just a constant sense of the God's presence and guidance is there. It's like you just know what the Father's will is and you do it without question of "is this it?". Such a wonderful place to be and none can offend you when you are there in that place because you are aware of the greater purpose that you are here for and if the thing isn't of eternal value (which you seem to recognize with ease) then it somehow becomes unimportant so that you are not offended if you can't do it in your timing or if someone cuts you off in traffic or says something mean or whatever. It's like water off a duck's back.
    Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Complete trust in and surrender to God and His will. IOW, we don't compartmentalize. For instance, some will say "I surrender my lust to you Lord and I hate it". But their career, they keep for themselves. Or maybe their family, etc. I basically mean turning one's will over completely to God and saying as Jesus did "not my will, but Thine".
    Let me go little by little here so that it will be easier to break it down.

Complete surrender to His will.

Let's start there. How does one, or I, completely surrender myself to God's will? What would that person do on a daily basis? Is it going to God before every and any decision we must make?

I'd love it if you could elaborate a little more on this first point. Thank you.

Let me go little by little here so that it will be easier to break it down.

Complete surrender to His will.

Let's start there. How does one, or I, completely surrender myself to God's will?

Well, that's the same question I am asking.

What would that person do on a daily basis? Is it going to God before every and any decision we must make?

I'd love it if you could elaborate a little more on this first point. Thank you.
    Well, I am asking that would you do anything the Lord asked you to do? Are you controlling your life, or like Jesus, do you only do what the Father tells you to do? That's the gist of what I am after. Now, before we get too caught up in hearing God for every minutia, I would say that Adam could freely eat of all the trees in the garden. He didn't necessarily have to ask "do I eat grapefruit this morning?". But yea, asking the Lord's guidance in decision making is part of it.
    NASU

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indueseason View Post
    I came to the end of myself, it wasn't anything more complicated than that. I realised that I was my own worst enemy, that I could never be the person God wanted me to be in my own strength.

The Lord had speaking to me about holiness, and I knew that the level of holiness He was asking of me, was more than I could do, but I so wanted to please Him. I so wanted to shine for Him, but I was double minded. I lived with a constant conflict between my will and His, and I hated it. I remembered a time when I was new in Christ where the walk was so simple, and I wanted to get back there. I hated my sin, and it was getting me down. I realised that this would never end, unless I died to my own will. The only way I could overcome was to yield and let Him do what He needed to do in me. I believe the Lord made my sin look huge to me, so that I would despair and cry out to Him, that is what I did.

The blessing that came from that, when He lifted that burden from my back, and told me He loves me was tremendous!! He changed my heart and my will, and filled me with such love!! It was life changing!!

What would I recommend to others? Yield and end that inner battle! There is a better way, a way that is directed by love! If your scared to let go, then you don't know the God who holds you in His hands well enough. You don't understand the depth of His love and the height of His mercy, nor His faithfulness! He loves you more than my words can express to you. You need to seek Him and allow Him to show you that love! Then you will know that He can be trusted, and you will gladly surrender everything to Him!

blessings to you
    Boy, do I hear you! That's exactly where I am now. I'm sick of myself and my double-mindedness that keeps me from being happy. I too remember what it was like in the beginning and want it back.

I made an awful mistake early on in thinking that I could set things up myself and everything would work out right. It cost me dearly, along with everyone near to me. Now, after all this time I am seeing so much more than I did then. It has become clear what's wrong. God has been working on me slowly for years because I was so wrapped up in responsibilities that I wasn't listening.

I see that I can't make anything happen for the best. I am just a vessel that needs to be empty of self so that the Holy Spirit can lead. My own determination, selfishness and arrogance have to go!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermist View Post
    Boy, do I hear you! That's exactly where I am now. I'm sick of myself and my double-mindedness that keeps me from being happy. I too remember what it was like in the beginning and want it back.

I made an awful mistake early on in thinking that I could set things up myself and everything would work out right. It cost me dearly, along with everyone near to me. Now, after all this time I am seeing so much more than I did then. It has become clear what's wrong. God has been working on me slowly for years because I was so wrapped up in responsibilities that I wasn't listening.

I see that I can't make anything happen for the best. I am just a vessel that needs to be empty of self so that the Holy Spirit can lead. My own determination, selfishness and arrogance have to go!
    Sounds like it's time to give it up! The best thing you can do is die and let God take over! He's waiting to catch you, just fall back and trust that He will. If you stop looking for happiness, and instead you focus on glorifying God, the happiness or joy will come!

blessings to you
    ------

The Lifehouse Skit

Well, I am asking that would you do anything the Lord asked you to do? Are you controlling your life, or like Jesus, do you only do what the Father tells you to do?
    Let's see. Would I do anything the Lord asked me to do? If I'm honest I'd say I'm not really sure. The first thing I'd have to know, or be sure of, is if indeed the Lord is asking me to do a specific thing. How would I know for sure?

The second part, I guess in part I have some control of my life. When I go to bed, when I eat, etc....

Blog Entries

Did the apostles completely surrender to Jesus?

They made enough mistakes after the ascension to make me think they didn't.

If I said, I did, then I think I'd be fooling myself.
    In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - unknown

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post
    Did the apostles completely surrender to Jesus?

They made enough mistakes after the ascension to make me think they didn't.

If I said, I did, then I think I'd be fooling myself.
    Yea, I get your point here. I am not talking about mistake free. I am talking about a willingness to walk with the Lord no matter what. Now, we may feel that way one minute like Peter did in the garden but the next we are denying him.

What I am asking about, is there a part of our life that we intentionally hold back from the Lord? Are we scared of what he may require of us? Etc.
    NASU

Let's see. Would I do anything the Lord asked me to do? If I'm honest I'd say I'm not really sure. The first thing I'd have to know, or be sure of, is if indeed the Lord is asking me to do a specific thing. How would I know for sure?

The second part, I guess in part I have some control of my life. When I go to bed, when I eat, etc....

Do you trust the Lord completely with your life? Are there areas that in your heart, you just don't want to give over to him? That's what I mean by complete surrender.

Now, we can know that God may not put his finger on something till later and that thing, we don't even know about till he does! I've had that happen to me before. It was in me all along but I didn't know it. Denial was in Peter, but he didn't know it till God pointed out to him. Even then, it was only after he walked it out that he realized how weak he really was.
    NASU

Do you trust the Lord completely with your life?
    For the most part I'd say yes. Though I'll admit, there are times when things get quite crazy and I get worried. But overall, when I come to my senses, I'd have to say yes.

Are there areas that in your heart, you just don't want to give over to him? That's what I mean by complete surrender.
    I'm not exactly sure how I "give" it over to Him. But I don't believe I knowingly keep anything from Him.

Thread Information