cure-real

Thread: 'American Idol' Producers Tell Colton Dixon Faith Tweets Can Cost Him Votes

'American Idol' Producers Tell Colton Dixon Faith Tweets Can Cost Him Votes

Contestant Colton Dixon poses at the party for the finalists of the television show "American Idol" in Los Angeles, California March 1, 2012.

By Eryn Sun , Christian Post Reporter
    March 16, 2012|9:07 am
    Despite warnings to tone down his faith, "American Idol" Top 10 contestant Colton Dixon says he will continue speaking out about his Christian beliefs.

The 20-year-old singer from Murfreesboro, Tenn., revealed to TODAY.com that producers from the hit reality show told him that religious and political tweets and posts on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter could alienate some viewers and potentially cost him some votes. (Full Article @ Christian Post)

That's a real shame!
    To think that by inference, AI's producers are implying Christians don't watch American Idol. Or that a performers faith would disqualify their being voted for, in America, is more of a testament to the poor judgment of the AI producers in my opinion. Than it is to the fans of the show itself. Be they religious or otherwise.

Re: 'American Idol' Producers Tell Colton Dixon Faith Tweets Can Cost Him Votes

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Water View Post

Contestant Colton Dixon poses at the party for the finalists of the television show "American Idol" in Los Angeles, California March 1, 2012.

Despite warnings to tone down his faith, "American Idol" Top 10 contestant Colton Dixon says he will continue speaking out about his Christian beliefs.

The 20-year-old singer from Murfreesboro, Tenn., revealed to TODAY.com that producers from the hit reality show told him that religious and political tweets and posts on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter could alienate some viewers and potentially cost him some votes. (Full Article @ Christian Post)

That's a real shame!
    To think that by inference, AI's producers are implying Christians don't watch American Idol. Or that a performers faith would disqualify their being voted for, in America, is more of a testament to the poor judgment of the AI producers in my opinion. Than it is to the fans of the show itself. Be they religious or otherwise.
    I think American Idol is a boil on the rear end of humanity. I do not watch anything with "idol" in the title. Thats just my 2 cents.

I know this is off topic but there is a hockey player on a college team who is a strong Christian and often posts faith related tweets. Pretty cool that there are people out there who are vocal and not afraid to show their faith like that, even if they do get criticized or mocked constantly for it. I think its sad that AI would do that. He has every right to share his faith, if the voters don't agree with his views, they don't have to read his tweets. I dislike how people don't like something a person says and then demands that they tone it down or disqualified or kicked out as if its that person's problem when the offended person can just not continue to read it. If the person doesn't agree with what someone says yet keeps reading it, its their own problem. I'm glad that he's not backing down from what God has called him to do, he's a good example.

This could all be a publicity stunt on behalf of AI producers.

They figure if they tell this young man that posting on social media sites about his faith or politics is bad, he'll post that and in response his fans, who are religious and/or political will rally to support him in an effort to show the producers advice is off.

Stranger things have happened in entertainment.
    Last edited by Angel Water; Mar 18th 2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: typo fix

Blog Entries

I've never watched American Idol but I think I will now to see this young man!
    I never watched football either until I watched it to see Tebow play.
    "knowledge makes arrogant but love edifies"

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Water View Post

That's a real shame!

American Idol is undoubtedly right. I have no doubt it will cost him some votes. At the same time, I imagine it may get him some votes he otherwise would not have. How will they balance out? Dunno. But votes aren't really the bottom line here, and I think Mr. Dixon may just realize that. There is the immediate prize and then there is the eternal prize.

I think the Kris Allen example would indicate that being a professing Christian on the show may help one's chances. Not that it really matters anyway. The show is silly. I think the anti-Christian melodrama from believers these days is larglely overblown. I think that the voting evidence suggests that most Americans are still very conservative in their value sets. In reality, I think Adam Lambert's flaming persona hurt his chances when he was on American Idol because of this very reason. He was by far the more talented singer; however, how he presented himself did not really resonate well with the majority of conservative Americans.
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Thread Information