Quote Originally Posted by Gadgeteer View Post
That's the very definition of "free will" --- there has to be more than one choice!
I would think that would be obvious.

There is a word that is descriptive of the idea, but it offends some; so I'll apologize in advance. The idea that "God changes someone's heart and mind so that he WILLS to be righteous and to believe", is akin to a lobotomy.
I agree and I don't think they should find that to be offensive at all. That is exactly what that view is like.

A hardened criminal who undergoes a lobotomy and becomes kind and law-abiding --- did he have any choice in that?
Obviously not. But I do think this is a valid comparison to how they understand God's way of saving people. It seems a bit silly when you put it that way but I don't see how they could disagree that it's a valid analogy.

The essence of God and His creation, is LOVE --- we know that "love does not demand its own way" (1Cor13:5). This is so straightforward and open, who can deny it?
Anyone can deny it if they want to, but not convincingly.

For God to make the decision --- it can't be "love"! We would be puppets!
Exactly. How can love be forced? That contradicts the definition of love. Love must come from a willing heart and nowhere does scripture teach that God forces His love upon people or that people are forced to love Him.

God doesn't want puppets. He wants fellowship with real thinking feeling creatures who MUST be free to love Him back!
I agree. I think that is very clear.

Rev 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Notice that this does not say "whosoever God makes willing will be given the water of life". No, it says "whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely". We are required to willingly take/accept what God freely offers and we have the choice to either take/accept it or reject it.