cure-real

Thread: Trouble with praying - am I alone?

Trouble with praying - am I alone?

I wanted to ask other Christians about this, but never felt comfortable as it seems out of the norm.

It's not that I don't pray. In fact I make it a point to lead my new wife in prayer every night, and I have grown to really enjoy it and she has too. It's an awesome experience to share this together. I also pray at other times through the day (especially at night).

The trouble I have is that I do not want to "ask" God for anything in my prayers. I know God is capable of granting anything, but I feel selfish in asking for anything. I believe God has given us so much, especially the gift of eternal life, how can I ask for anything more, especially as seeing that our time her on earth is so limited.

My prayers consist of praise and thanksgiving.

What are your thoughts. Thanks!

Re: Trouble with praying - am I alone?

AS the Lord said "Ask and it shall be given to you, seek and you shall find, knock and it will be opened . ."so it is not selfish to ask, in fact it could be argued that not asking God for what He is more than ready to give is lack of faith in Him . . .

I also have a problem with praying, but I dont pray at all although I wish I could. I think the whole day about the Lord but to go and pray on specific times then I dont know what to say and how to start. I feel very bad about this.

I had another post on here about this somewhere, but I use the ACTS model of prayer: Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication.

First, we praise God...perhaps for what He's done, but more for who He is: The Divine Father and Creator who is perfect in every way.

Then, we make confession...Anger, rage, and unChrist-like behavior...."Forgive me, Lord, as I confess these things to you."

Next is thanksgiving, which is self-explanatory, followed by Supplication, where we ask Him for "things".

Why shouldn't we make supplication? He is our loving Father, who delights in blessing us. Those things should be in alignment with His will, of course...but He has all resources available, so my requests certainly don't strain His ability in the least. I ask for growth in humility and obedience, wisdom and compassion, and for excellence to be my hallmark in every facet of my life. Others need help meeting a litany of needs...needs I can't meet, but again, in accordance with His will, He can....so I ask on their behalf.

I say expand your prayer boundaries, and see what comes of it.
    θεοφιλε

Quote Originally Posted by Ryna View Post
    I also have a problem with praying, but I dont pray at all although I wish I could. I think the whole day about the Lord but to go and pray on specific times then I dont know what to say and how to start. I feel very bad about this.
    I believe God doesn't care what shape or form you pray in. My night time prayers aren't anything that looks like much of a prayer, more like I'm reviewing my day, how I can do better, what I did right, thanking God.

Thanks for the other thoughts. I understand it doesn't tax him and it's ok to ask because God said it's ok to do so. But I know how blessed I am (no matter what my earthly condition is, physical, financially, etc.) that it's hard to ask. I should say I do pray to God that I become a better person though.

I don't feel like I'm explaining it too well.

if youre not having trouble praying your not praying right imo.

i will pray and think well i think i need A, then i think well am i asking for something i dont need ?

and if i have to ask for it i know he already knows what i need, so why ask for it

then i think well i dont want to be negligent of asking for something when he tells me to ask.

then i repeat that cycle many many times and then i feel like im gonna puke im sweating and a sobbing mess cause i am confused and powerless and ask amiss and am left with no thought but ok well Gods got this.

but be of good cheer

Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
    Rom 8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

the Spirit has it down pat and He will make intercession for us

thank God for that cause id be so wasted if it were up to my prayers to help me. i just try to beg and groan and feel it with my heart as much as i can, all the pain and confusion and worry and praise and worship i search to find every last bit in myself then i throw at his feet/confess and keep my face to the ground and beg forgiveness for i am a sinner and a fool.

also dont forget to talk to Him all day like He is right there with you- He is, Christ called us friends, he is here to help not heap judgement on us, He died to help us.

when i work i tend to speak to him things like well God hook me up you know im a lazy slacker but i know you can get done anything you want so i will ask for help but if i ask amiss forgive me, i know you know better than me and thanks for giving me work so i can feed myself.

when i cook i think thanks God for letting me have food, i know you could have me on some starving and i hope you teach me what i need to learn without having to starve me to do it because i know i am stubborn.

when i watch a movie i think oh hey that reminds me of scripture, oh that reminds me of the devil, oh wait is this even something i should be watching instead of doing something more important ? how should i feel about that God ? im confused even as i watch this so hook me up if you think there is something i should be doing or knowing i know you have all power, and thanks for letting me watch a movie instead of being in some horrible war right now.

i often forget how good i have it so please let me keep that in mind gently, i know i need correction but i am nervous to ask for such because i know you can use a rod, so maybe gentle correction God ? i think im ok to ask for that, but if not im sorry.

i know i dont love you with all my heart God so please please please hook me up cause its one of the few things you tell me to do and i dont even do that right, and when i ponder and worry all this let me grow in the fact that i should love my neighbor as myself and help me learn what that even means.

hmm maybe i should just shut up and praise you.

Howdy schlot.
    I agree with fewarechosen's post above about our prayer life, he is wise.

And I want to share this with you also:
    Praising Him as you are inclined to do is one of the many gifts that He gives to His church, schlot.

You are not cursed, you are blessed to be a chosen gift functioning member of His body/His church.
    No member of His body will be with out at least one of His many, many, many gifts to His church body.

Your gift is praise and maybe edification/empathy too, use it, don't dread or be ashamed of not having another member of His bodies gift, yours was given to you from above to work His will on the earth.
    Keep using it to please Him and not us, our pleasure or joy is just a side or fringe benefit of pleasing Him !

Not all of us can teach effectively, or be prophetic, not all of us can interceded or pray for others or even ouselves, not all can discern spirits and so on and so on. Not all of us can serve one another as the other can or does serve.
    But, all members of His body do come together as a whole to minister His will on the earth.
    You need not keep up with the Jones's so to speak in His body of functioning members.

God bless you, you will be in my prayers.

He wants us to quench our thirst with new wine skins, speak from the heart he already knows your wants needs and desires.all the hairs on your head are numbered he has a great path for you. Don't be shy he wants to do great things for you. Pray for people you may have trouble getting along with or ones who don't necessarily Enjoy your company. Just pray brother more importantly ask him to speak to you and put some time into listening. God bless

"You have not because you ask not." I believe this is telling us...to ask!

If I may suggest, however, if you aren't praying for yourself or loved ones at any particular time, and have time to pray, there are so many suffering people in the world who need prayer. You seem to enjoy being a prayer warrior. Perhaps you could pray for them in some spare times.

The way Abba works, when you pray for them, He will probably grant blessings and protection to you and your family as well - maybe in ways you won't even know about until you get to Heaven.
    Please pray for "the least of these" in the Persecuted Church Prayer Forum at top.

Acts 21 Now they have been informed about you that you continually teach all the Jews who live among the Gentiles to turn back from and forsake Moses...Therefore do just what we tell you. With us are 4 men who have taken a vow upon themselves. Take these men and purify yourself along with them and pay their expenses [for a temple offering],...Thus everybody will know that there is no truth in what they have been told about you, but that you yourself walk in observance of the Law of Moses.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and thoughts.

"the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers"...
    "And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us".
    And some believed the things which were spoken, and some believed not.
    Acts 28:24

I pray as a child ,I pray as a parent and I pray as a spouse ,I pray to simply strenghten my relationship in any of these, I pray humbly, fearfully, meekly,and I think our "Father" wants us to ask and tell him our needs and also our obedience and if we can his praise.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by schlot View Post
    I wanted to ask other Christians about this, but never felt comfortable as it seems out of the norm.

It's not that I don't pray. In fact I make it a point to lead my new wife in prayer every night, and I have grown to really enjoy it and she has too. It's an awesome experience to share this together. I also pray at other times through the day (especially at night).

The trouble I have is that I do not want to "ask" God for anything in my prayers. I know God is capable of granting anything, but I feel selfish in asking for anything. I believe God has given us so much, especially the gift of eternal life, how can I ask for anything more, especially as seeing that our time her on earth is so limited.

My prayers consist of praise and thanksgiving.

What are your thoughts. Thanks!
    When I am in need, I pray to God and inform Him of what I have as a need. Such as when I am struggling with a situation for example. I don't ask God to fix it... I tell God how I understand the situation, how it's out of my control or how I am not equipped to handle it, or what I need to do so a handling of the situation can be achieved. Sometimes this is answered in a way where God ministers something to my spirit that I have not thought about (guidance) or understood and He gives me understanding (revelation). Or, He's taken control of the situation and I see His direct hand in solving the problem. Sometimes even on a miraculous level in glorification of Himself.

As for thanks and praise... HOOAH! All praise, honor, and glory to God and this should be prayed daily!

~Limitations in a Christian’s life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

Thread Information