Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
Isaiah 60:19 The sun shall be no more thy light by day; neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee: but the LORD shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory.

Isaiah 60:20 Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for the LORD shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended.

Revelation 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

Revelation 22:5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

The above would be some of the main passages indicating no more sun someday.

Psalms 72:17 His name shall endure for ever: his name shall be continued as long as the sun: and men shall be blessed in him: all nations shall call him blessed.
18 Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel, who only doeth wondrous things.
19 And blessed be his glorious name for ever: and let the whole earth be filled with his glory; Amen, and Amen.

Jeremiah 31:35 Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name:
36 If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever.

The above passages seem to indicate the sun has to go on shining forever, as well as the moon and stars. So either we have a contradiction or a misunderstanding.

Since context determines meaning, then I would think that's the only way to solve this seemingly contradiction. So what are your thoughts on this and why?
I'll just repost what I posted in the other thread where we were discussing this.

I believe scripture teaches that the sun would endure through all generations (Psalm 72:5) which means it will endure until the end of the age but at that point it will cease to exist. I don't believe "forever" includes all eternity in those verses but instead refers to all of time up until the end of time or end of the age. That doesn't mean His name won't endure even throughout eternity but that wasn't the context of those verses as far as the sun is concerned. It's similar to how Jesus told the disciples that He would be with them always even until the end of the age (Matt 28:20). Well, He will be with them even after the end of the age but that wasn't His point there. So "always" doesn't include eternity in that context but includes all of time until the end of the age. That's how I understand the duration of the sun as well. There will be no need for the sun on the new earth, IMO, because the glory of God and Christ Himself will provide all the light we need.