Have you ever wondered why Dr. Luke would devout a whole chapter to just one of Paul's shipwrecks or near death experiences? There are so many things that Luke doesn't mention in detail about Paul's many triumphs and trials but this incident is given much detail. Acts 27 is pretty much just an historical account and has no real quotable verses or doctrine to teach us, but I believe within it are hidden some wonderful nuggets of truth concerning the End-Times and the Church's role in it. (Most of these thoughts are not mine, I heard this message over 25 years ago and am amazed how relevant it still is).
First, be sure to read the whole chapter.
I will not try to do a word by word or verse by verse, I will just highlight the parallels I find interesting. Please add any thoughts or comments or other pictures you may see in this chapter.
Types seen in Acts 27:
1. WIND: The "wind" (pneuma) represents the Holy Spirit which "drives" the ship. It determines every movement of the course of the ship. (Acts 27:4; John 3:8; Mark 1:12)
2. STORM (EUROCLYDON - northeastern) - represents the great and terrible Day of the Lord. The day we live in (the 7th Day from Adam and the 3rd Day from Christ - 2 Pet. 3:8; Acts 27:19)
...STORMY WIND fulfilling His Word...(Psa. 148:8)
3. SHIP - represents the "world system" that is headed for the rocks and certain destruction. (Acts 27:22; 2 Pet. 3:10) .
4. PAUL - represents the overcoming, prophetic, and apostolic people (the GLORIOUS CHURCH) who take DOMINION over the ship. (Acts 27:21; Eph. 1:22-23 and many other verses)
5. FAST - is the Day of Atonement, and it represents the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. Paul PROPHESIED that there was a great tribulation coming after this "FAST." (Acts 27:9-10; Matt. 24)
6. WINTER - represents a time of tribulation or pressure. (Acts 27:12; Matt. 24:20)
7. MASTER AND OWNER OF THE SHIP - represents satan, the god of this world. (Acts 27:11; 2 Cor. 4:4)
8. CENTURION - represents the unbeliever, who "believed the master and owner of the ship." (Acts 27:11; 2 Thes. 2:11)
9. BOAT - represents the pretense of a "pre-tribulation rapture" or any doctrine that preaches any other way around, rather
than going through the storm in the ship. (Acts 27:29-32; John 17:15)
10. ANCHOR - represents Jesus Christ, the only thing that remains when the ship is destroyed. (Acts 27:40; Heb. 6:19-20)
A few other thoughts or fragments:
- v. 15 when the ship was "caught" (seized, to lay hold of so that one is no longer his own master), and could not head into the "wind" (could not oppose the Holy Spirit force), we let it drive. Let's let the Spirit drive us through the storm, into the wilderness, and through tribulation.
- v. 20-21 when the world finally gives up all "hope" of saving themselves, Paul (the Glorious Church) will have the opportunity to exert its authority and "stand up" in the midst of the ship and storm.
- v. 22 The Church will prophesy "life" but also the utter destruction of this fading "world system" that is headed for a collision with the "Rock" Jesus Christ.
- v. 24-25 The Church will prophesy a message of hope for the world's people and not a message of fear because of the coming destruction.
- v. 32 The destructive message of escapism will eventually have to be "cut away" and those that "endure to the end, shall be saved." (Matt. 24:13-14)
- v. 33 There is a new day dawning in the earth and the Day Star is about to make His appearing. (2 Pet. 1:19)
- v. 34 After we get our fill on His Word (wheat) we to lighten our load by casting the word into the sea of humanity. (Psa. 68:22; Eccl. 11:1)
-v. 44 All the "overcomers" that stayed in the ship and listened to the prophetic wisdom of Paul (the Church) were saved from certain death. (Rev. 2:11)