cure-real

Thread: Acts 27: A Panorama of the End-Time Church

Hybrid View

Acts 27: A Panorama of the End-Time Church

Have you ever wondered why Dr. Luke would devout a whole chapter to just one of Paul's shipwrecks or near death experiences? There are so many things that Luke doesn't mention in detail about Paul's many triumphs and trials but this incident is given much detail. Acts 27 is pretty much just an historical account and has no real quotable verses or doctrine to teach us, but I believe within it are hidden some wonderful nuggets of truth concerning the End-Times and the Church's role in it. (Most of these thoughts are not mine, I heard this message over 25 years ago and am amazed how relevant it still is).

First, be sure to read the whole chapter.

I will not try to do a word by word or verse by verse, I will just highlight the parallels I find interesting. Please add any thoughts or comments or other pictures you may see in this chapter.

Types seen in Acts 27:

1. WIND: The "wind" (pneuma) represents the Holy Spirit which "drives" the ship. It determines every movement of the course of the ship. (Acts 27:4; John 3:8; Mark 1:12)

2. STORM (EUROCLYDON - northeastern) - represents the great and terrible Day of the Lord. The day we live in (the 7th Day from Adam and the 3rd Day from Christ - 2 Pet. 3:8; Acts 27:19)

...STORMY WIND fulfilling His Word...(Psa. 148:8)

3. SHIP - represents the "world system" that is headed for the rocks and certain destruction. (Acts 27:22; 2 Pet. 3:10) .

4. PAUL - represents the overcoming, prophetic, and apostolic people (the GLORIOUS CHURCH) who take DOMINION over the ship. (Acts 27:21; Eph. 1:22-23 and many other verses)

5. FAST - is the Day of Atonement, and it represents the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. Paul PROPHESIED that there was a great tribulation coming after this "FAST." (Acts 27:9-10; Matt. 24)

6. WINTER - represents a time of tribulation or pressure. (Acts 27:12; Matt. 24:20)

7. MASTER AND OWNER OF THE SHIP - represents satan, the god of this world. (Acts 27:11; 2 Cor. 4:4)

8. CENTURION - represents the unbeliever, who "believed the master and owner of the ship." (Acts 27:11; 2 Thes. 2:11)

9. BOAT - represents the pretense of a "pre-tribulation rapture" or any doctrine that preaches any other way around, rather
    than going through the storm in the ship. (Acts 27:29-32; John 17:15)

10. ANCHOR - represents Jesus Christ, the only thing that remains when the ship is destroyed. (Acts 27:40; Heb. 6:19-20)

A few other thoughts or fragments:

- v. 15 when the ship was "caught" (seized, to lay hold of so that one is no longer his own master), and could not head into the "wind" (could not oppose the Holy Spirit force), we let it drive. Let's let the Spirit drive us through the storm, into the wilderness, and through tribulation.

- v. 20-21 when the world finally gives up all "hope" of saving themselves, Paul (the Glorious Church) will have the opportunity to exert its authority and "stand up" in the midst of the ship and storm.

- v. 22 The Church will prophesy "life" but also the utter destruction of this fading "world system" that is headed for a collision with the "Rock" Jesus Christ.

- v. 24-25 The Church will prophesy a message of hope for the world's people and not a message of fear because of the coming destruction.

- v. 32 The destructive message of escapism will eventually have to be "cut away" and those that "endure to the end, shall be saved." (Matt. 24:13-14)

- v. 33 There is a new day dawning in the earth and the Day Star is about to make His appearing. (2 Pet. 1:19)

- v. 34 After we get our fill on His Word (wheat) we to lighten our load by casting the word into the sea of humanity. (Psa. 68:22; Eccl. 11:1)

-v. 44 All the "overcomers" that stayed in the ship and listened to the prophetic wisdom of Paul (the Church) were saved from certain death. (Rev. 2:11)

Re: Acts 27: A Panorama of the End-Time Church

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano Vinci
    Have you ever wondered why Dr. Luke would devout a whole chapter to just one of Paul's shipwrecks or near death experiences?
    Within the ancient Roman world, surviving a shipwreck was seen as evidence that the gods were declaring a person to be innocent of any wrongdoing.

Between Luke and Acts, the writer makes several intentional parallels between the ministry of Jesus and the growth of the Church. Both Luke and Acts culminate in the trial of an innocent man who is accused of sedition against Caesar (Jesus for claiming to be King, Paul for proclaiming Jesus as King). It's not a coincidence that Luke includes descriptions of Paul's surviving a shipwreck as he is going to his trial in Rome. Luke is using the cultural idea of 'shipwreck survivor = innocent' to tell his reader Theophilus (and anyone else who might read the book) that Paul was innocent.

The rest of your post... Well, I think you're reading an incredible amount of symbolism into the text without giving any real reason for how you're seeing those symbols.

Quote Originally Posted by markedward View Post
    Within the ancient Roman world, surviving a shipwreck was seen as evidence that the gods were declaring a person to be innocent of any wrongdoing.
    That is interesting in light the next chapter and the natives believing he was a murderer after being bitten by a viper. I am sure they must have thought him a god after that and then the many healings he performed.

Whenever I look at pictures in Scripture, I am never saying that what I see is what the author intended to show. Its like reading a novel, many people have differing thoughts of what the authors of books like "The Wizard of Oz" or "Alice in Wonderland" meant to portray. The story itself is wonderful, underlying themes are secondary and should not take the place of the original account.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano Vinci
    That is interesting in light the next chapter and the natives believing he was a murderer after being bitten by a viper. I am sure they must have thought him a god after that and then the many healings he performed.
    At least one ancient story of a shipwreck, to my knowledge, concluded with a man safely making it to land, only to be bitten by a snake sent by the gods because he escaped the punishment of the sea. I would say that Luke included Paul's snakebite because it demonstrated his innocence to an even greater extent to the first-century Gentile's mind even more than the fact that Paul survived a shipwreck:

The shipwrecked mariner had escaped the whirlwind and the fury of the deadly sea, and as he was lying on the Libyan sand not far from the beach ... naked and exhausted by the unhappy wreck, a baneful viper slew him. Why did he struggle with the waves in vain, escaping then the fate that was his lot on the land? (Anth. Pal. 7.20, trans. Paton 1919, 159) [citation found in Acts, Mikael C. Parsons]

Whenever I look at pictures in Scripture, I am never saying that what I see is what the author intended to show.
    I think this is fair in itself,

but when you started the original post with 'Have you ever wondered why Dr. Luke would devout a whole chapter to just one of Paul's shipwrecks or near death experiences? ... I believe within it are hidden some wonderful nuggets of truth concerning the End-Times and the Church's role in it.', it gives the meaning of 'I believe Dr. Luke was talking secretly about the end-times through symbols when he described Paul's shipwreck'.

Can you see how it would come off that way?

Quote Originally Posted by markedward View Post
    but when you started the original post with 'Have you ever wondered why Dr. Luke would devout a whole chapter to just one of Paul's shipwrecks or near death experiences? ... I believe within it are hidden some wonderful nuggets of truth concerning the End-Times and the Church's role in it.', it gives the meaning of 'I believe Dr. Luke was talking secretly about the end-times through symbols when he described Paul's shipwreck'.

Can you see how it would come off that way?
    Yes, I see that. I am not saying Luke was giving any secret messages. However, I do not think that Moses thought he was giving any secret messages when he lifted the snake up on the pole either, yet he did. Jesus says that snake was Him. And that like Moses lifted the snake, so must He be lifted up from the earth (Jn. 3:14). Was the snake literally Jesus? Of course not, but it was a picture. And Jesus pointed out this interesting parallel.

Do you think Moses knew that lifting up the snake was going to be used as analogy by the coming Messiah? I doubt it. Similarly, I don't think the writers of OT or NT books thought that the writing of historical record would any way be used as allegories for the purpose of showing greater truths. For example, Paul's allegory of Sarah and Hagar as representing two covenants.

Thread Information